Options

How much should injections cost?

queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
Forum Member
✭✭
For a kitten?

Ours is 9 weeks now and is due for them. We were told for 3 sets of inoculations, it would cost £70.

Does that sound about right? He's getting done on Wednesday, also, like human babies, do they cry or fell any pain afterwards?

Comments

• Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 51,038
    Forum Member
    3? We were told Winnie would only need 2. I've never heard of them needing 3 before.

Having said that, make sure you get your cat done again 3 weeks after it's previous injection - we're having to start Bungle's course again because we just missed the second one. For what it's worth I think she's fine and would only really need the 2nd injection, but vets want your money. Though they pull at the heartstrings, I would never forgive myself if she only had one more injection and then died.

Injections at our vet cost £39.50

:cool:
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    The 3 sets are probably referring to the flu, enteritis and leukaemia vaccines - but given on 2 separate occasions, usually 3 weeks apart.

My 2 newish cats had to be revaccinated when I got them because CP do not give the leukaemia vaccine and it actually was a lot less hassle for the vet (and her computer) to give all 3 at the same time. It only worked out at about £5 more expensive than if they had a single vaccine.

I was charged £67 per cat.

PS Cats generally are very good with needles, they don't seem to feel any pain. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be for flu, enteritis and leukaemia. Leukaemia was optional, it would have cost £50 for the other 2 but we decided we may as well get the whole lot done.

Also we did John Lewis insurance as well, this is all new to me, but it was the best we could find for him.

Thanks for your advice, as ever always helpful xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think cats should definitely be vaccinated against leukaemia. There is a strong link between the leukaemia virus and lymphoma (cancer) which is what caused my Tabitha's death. She was fully vaccinated and didn't have leukaemia but it's best to minimise all risks.

I think it's good you're getting your kitten insured. I've used my insurance quite a bit over the years and you never know what accidents or illnesses your little one may succumb to.

John Lewis is probably good. I didn't know they did pet insurance but I buy loads of stuff from there because of their excellent after sales and customer service so I'm sure you'll be fine with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MarellaK wrote: »
    I think cats should definitely be vaccinated against leukaemia. There is a strong link between the leukaemia virus and lymphoma (cancer) which is what caused my Tabitha's death. She was fully vaccinated and didn't have leukaemia but it's best to minimise all risks.

I think it's good you're getting your kitten insured. I've used my insurance quite a bit over the years and you never know what accidents or illnesses your little one may succumb to.

John Lewis is probably good. I didn't know they did pet insurance but I buy loads of stuff from there because of their excellent after sales and customer service so I'm sure you'll be fine with them.

Thanks Marella :)
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strongly suggest you get your cat chipped when you go back, if it wasn't done on the first visit. I only have one of mine back because of his chip - that made it worth all the others that have been done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    Strongly suggest you get your cat chipped when you go back, if it wasn't done on the first visit. I only have one of mine back because of his chip - that made it worth all the others that have been done.

Isn't he too young to be chipped at 9 weeks old?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He won't be 9 weeks at your next visit, will he? And no, I don't think 9 weeks is too young. The needle looks scarily large but cats are remarkably insensitive around the scruff where it goes.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,749
    Forum Member
    My kitten had his final injection and micro-chipped last Tues <10 weeks old>

Total cost for vacs and m/c £75.00 and have booked him in for end of Nov for neutering - don`t know how much that`ll cost
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He won't be 9 weeks at your next visit, will he? And no, I don't think 9 weeks is too young. The needle looks scarily large but cats are remarkably insensitive around the scruff where it goes.

Next visit? He hasn't been to the vets yet!:confused:

We're not going to get him micro chipped yet, we think he's far too young, he's 9 weeks now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »

Total cost for vacs and m/c £75.00 and have booked him in for end of Nov for neutering - don`t know how much that`ll cost

I've been told if he's not going out yet, he doesn't need to be micro chipped yet?

But yours is only 1 week older than ours, maybe when ours has his final inoculation, when he'll be approaching 12 weeks, we'll ask the vets.

We plan to get ours neutered as well, so all questions will be asked when my husband takes him to the vets tomorrow for his first set of inoculation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I pay about £45 to have our tom cats neutered. It's about £60 to be spayed. (Trust me, we've just recently acquired our 8th feline!)

He/she (we can't decide!) is a bit of a quirky character!

His mum is currently looking after an abandoned kitten, no more than about 10 days old. My friends dad found 2 in the shed where he works, no mum, just 2 cold tiny hungry kittens. Unfortunately the weaker one died but the stronger one has been adopted by our fantastic mummy cat who is treating it like her own now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    I've been told if he's not going out yet, he doesn't need to be micro chipped yet?...

Cats can be escape artists. How will you feel if he gives you the slip, nips out and gets lost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been told if he's not going out yet, he doesn't need to be micro chipped yet?

But yours is only 1 week older than ours, maybe when ours has his final inoculation, when he'll be approaching 12 weeks, we'll ask the vets.

We plan to get ours neutered as well, so all questions will be asked when my husband takes him to the vets tomorrow for his first set of inoculation.

Vet advised us to microchip him when he had his 2nd injection because he can go outside from then.

Still havent let him out because he doesn`t have any sense of danger and is far too excitable, may even decide to keep him in til he`s neutered as I`ve heard it can calm kittens down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    miafi wrote: »
    I pay about £45 to have our tom cats neutered. It's about £60 to be spayed. (Trust me, we've just recently acquired our 8th feline!)

He/she (we can't decide!) is a bit of a quirky character!

£45 not too bad

Mistachio is a cutie :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vet advised us to microchip him when he had his 2nd injection because he can go outside from then.

Still havent let him out because he doesn`t have any sense of danger and is far too excitable, may even decide to keep him in til he`s neutered as I`ve heard it can calm kittens down.

We don't plan to let him out, I don't know if I could cope if anything happened to him. We have planned to have him as a house cat but my husband said he wants to allow just in our garden when he's big enough. We'll see.
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't plan to let him out, I don't know if I could cope if anything happened to him. We have planned to have him as a house cat but my husband said he wants to allow just in our garden when he's big enough. We'll see.

Good luck with that! :p

It's been fun seeing you go from "I don't want a cat, it's being forced on me" to "I'm completely smitten" in the course of about a week! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Good luck with that! :p

It's been fun seeing you go from "I don't want a cat, it's being forced on me" to "I'm completely smitten" in the course of about a week! :D

Yes, well erm, when the time happens, I'll update you :p

I know, soppy mare!:o

Ooh, he had a strop yesterday and really clawed my husband, Simba wanted to stay in my daughter's room but he also wanted to "play" with Nigel (the hamster) and so my husband carried him downstairs, not a very happy kitten. Little monster :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cats hear what you plan and laugh. I would chip any cat, even if it's meant to be indoor incase it gives me the slip.

Also unless you have a garden with 6' brick walls a cat will almost certainly find it's way out unless you go to some lengths to cat-proof it. However having done mine it's fantastic for the cats - my fatso is now slimmer and they love playing out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he also wanted to "play" with Nigel (the hamster)

Errol played with the neighbours hamster - they had left the front door open and it wasn't in it's cage... Poor hamster. :cry::o
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we paid about £70 to get Shadow cat's first vaccinations. I got him neutered a couple of weeks afterwards and got the microchip done at the same time (He was already an adult cat when we took him in)

I'm also grinning at the change from you not wanting a cat to falling head over heels. :D My Husband was exactly the same when we got our first cat, its amazing how they worm their way into our affections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errol played with the neighbours hamster - they had left the front door open and it wasn't in it's cage... Poor hamster. :cry::o

Oh dear!:eek:
  • Options
    BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our old cat had 2 vaccinations, 1 at 9 weeks and 1 at 12weeks, and was microchipped at 12weeks. The vaccinations are 39.00 each
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bellarooo wrote: »
    Our old cat had 2 vaccinations, 1 at 9 weeks and 1 at 12weeks, and was microchipped at 12weeks. The vaccinations are 39.00 each

Do you mean £78 in total for the vaccinations? My vet charged £67/cat on the first visit and nothing for the 2nd visit 3 weeks later (though I ended up paying a lot for worming and flea treatments :rolleyes:)

In that case, £70 seems like the average price.

Subsequent yearly booster vaccines should be a bit cheaper (they rotate the vaccines apparently, they don't receive the same booster every year) and provides a good opportunity for the vet to carry out routine health checks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bellarooo wrote: »

Wow, that seems a lot of money. We had booked him for 3 injections, which would have cost £70 for the whole lot, but the vet said as he's going to be an indoor cat, the third wasn't necessary.

We were charged £50 today. He cried all the way in the car :( but as soon as we got to the vets, I was told he strolled out confidently out of his box as if to say 'What?' :D The vet loved him :)