Rank Madonna's studio albums from favourite to least favourite

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are all great albums and they all have meaning to me both socially and personally.

I'm Breathless
    Who's That Girl?
    American Life
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Madonna
    True Blue
    Ray Of Light
    MDNA
    Confessions
    Bedtime Stories
    Music
    Hard Candy

It is refreshing to see two of her motion picture inspired albums up there :)

I do love all 4 of her songs on "wtg" :)
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too, i include them with True Blue on iTunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah tbh i would replace a couple that made TB with these 4 songs....criminal that you can only get em on the soundtrack but at the same time it is a slick soundtrack and its one of my favourite movies ever too :D

So darn hilarious and comical :D it is brilliant.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I will come back tomorrow to complete this as i have other stuff to do but I wholeheartedly agree about True Blue, iconic cover pic and my most favourite Madonna look of all time, and great great classic pop songs.

Madonna never appeared on any of the 'Now' albums as far as I remember, something to do with copyright i think.

LIB appeared on one of the 'Hits' series of albums but i can't recall which one it was.

I'm back and have more time today.

Here goes!

ALBUMS

True Blue - Littlegreen said it all so I don't have to!

It's also her best selling album, the one that turned her into a global superstar and contains 3 uk number one singles.

Ray Of Light - For me, her best album vocally and it contains Power Of Goodbye.

Erotica - A very under rated Madonna album, I wasn't a big fan of it at it's time of release because of all the furore with the book but it has become one of my faves over the years.

also

Like A Virgin
    Like A Prayer
    Madonna
    Music
    Bedtime Stories
    I'm Breathless
    Hard Candy
    MDNA
    American Life
    Confessions

HITS

Immaculate Collection
    Holiday Collection
    Something To Remember
    Celebration
    GHV2

SOUNDTRACKS

Who's That Girl?
    Evita

REMIX

You Can Dance
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, here goes

1) - Bedtime Stories, I still don't understand the lack of interest in this album. Granted, there are no 'massive' singles on the album, but taken as a whole, I think it's fantastic.

2) - Like a Prayer - A well deserved 'Classic'.

3) - Ray of Light - as above

4) - Erotica - Dark, sexy & brilliant.

5) - Confessions
    6) - Madonna
    7) - American Life
    8) - Music
    9) - True Blue - Fantastic album, but IMO it hasn't dated well.
    10) - Like A Virgin
    11) - MDNA - Not a lover of this album at all. Very underwhelming.
    12) - Hard Candy - Just awful (IMO).

If we're allowed 'I'm Breathless', it would be number 2 or 3 on this list.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

1986/87 is my all time fave Madonna era, the songs, the film, the soundtrack, the tour, the look, everything!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Confessions On A Dance Floor
    2. American Life
    3. MDNA
    4. Hard Candy
    5. Like A Virgin
    6. Madonna
    7. Like A Prayer
    8. True Blue
    9. Ray Of Light
    10. Erotica
    11. Bedtime Stories
    12. Music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    1. Ray Of Light.
    2. Like A Prayer.
    3. Confessions on a Dance Floor.
    4. Erotica.
    5. Like A Virgin.
    6. MDNA.
    7. Madonna.
    8. Music.
    9. American Life.
    10. True Blue.
    11. Bedtime Stories.
    12. Hard Candy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    Okay, here goes

1) - Bedtime Stories, I still don't understand the lack of interest in this album. Granted, there are no 'massive' singles on the album, but taken as a whole, I think it's fantastic.

2) - Like a Prayer - A well deserved 'Classic'.

3) - Ray of Light - as above

4) - Erotica - Dark, sexy & brilliant.

5) - Confessions
    6) - Madonna
    7) - American Life
    8) - Music
    9) - True Blue - Fantastic album, but IMO it hasn't dated well.
    10) - Like A Virgin
    11) - MDNA - Not a lover of this album at all. Very underwhelming.
    12) - Hard Candy - Just awful (IMO).

If we're allowed 'I'm Breathless', it would be number 2 or 3 on this list.

It is interesting you have Bedtime Stories at poll position there....nothing against it of course it just shows how diverse the fanbase is...and i LOVE it :D

For me Bedtime Stories is greater when divided into sections rather than a whole piece overall....but i find it brilliant how kinda divided the fanbase is yet we all can come together and discuss...brilliant :)
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is interesting you have Bedtime Stories at poll position there....nothing against it of course it just shows how diverse the fanbase is...and i LOVE it :D

For me Bedtime Stories is greater when divided into sections rather than a whole piece overall....but i find it brilliant how kinda divided the fanbase is yet we all can come together and discuss...brilliant :)

BS form me is like KM94 great individual tracks and as a whole works as a strong piece but overall when in consideration with the rest no real solid identity or force behind it :)
  • woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Confessions
    2 Ray of light
    3 Like a prayer
    4 Bedtime stories
    5 The first album
    6 Erotica
    7 Music
    8 True Blue
    9 Im breathless
    10 Like a virgin
    11 Hard candy
    12 American life
    13 MDNA ( absolutly awful IMO,didn't bother buying it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    BS form me is like KM94 great individual tracks and as a whole works as a strong piece but overall when in consideration with the rest no real solid identity or force behind it :)

Ironically i heard it today for the very first time in full was just about to post lol...and i do see what you mean...for me Kylie94 has some variation and obviously marked an end to hew S/A/W years but bar a few songs nothing truly punched out and some areas reminded me a lot of what was typical about the early 90s you know? like M People being prominent, i got those sounds, that kinda R&B/House combi that was further ventures in 1994/5 at a peak you know? but overall like you say it is pretty solid.

But again it is mainly down to taste....Kylie for me at her peak is Light Years, Fever, Body Language Trinity :D really dig that trio of albums.

Kudos to Minogue for trying however.
  • Jay_WallaceJay_Wallace Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Well mine changes constantly depending on my mood.
    Right now it's:

Like A Prayer
    Ray of Light
    Confessions
    MDNA
    Bedtime Stories
    Madonna
    Erotica
    Music
    Hard Candy
    Like A Virgin
    True Blue
    American Life
    I'm Breathless
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray of Light is the best and American Life is the worst. In between I couldn't really tell you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironically i heard it today for the very first time in full was just about to post lol...and i do see what you mean...for me Kylie94 has some variation and obviously marked an end to hew S/A/W years but bar a few songs nothing truly punched out and some areas reminded me a lot of what was typical about the early 90s you know? like M People being prominent, i got those sounds, that kinda R&B/House combi that was further ventures in 1994/5 at a peak you know? but overall like you say it is pretty solid.

But again it is mainly down to taste....Kylie for me at her peak is Light Years, Fever, Body Language Trinity :D really dig that trio of albums.

Kudos to Minogue for trying however.

Definitely an oddly JP i have always said the same of BS its that mid 90's R&B, Hip-Hop elements of funk thrown in that makes in blend into the period rather than stand out in the way LAV does of its time but still fresh if you get what i mean. And so true except for me its from IP onwards but the entire parlaphone period kudos like ROL throught to COAD :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely an oddly JP i have always said the same of BS its that mid 90's R&B, Hip-Hop elements of funk thrown in that makes in blend into the period rather than stand out in the way LAV does of its time but still fresh if you get what i mean. And so true except for me its from IP onwards but the entire parlaphone period kudos like ROL throught to COAD :)

Yeah i really think that Madonna with Bedtime Stories kinda made it set in that time period....mainly i feel due to use of then contemporary big named producers...which as you say the previous time she did it with Nile it was very forward thinking as an album and as a conceptualised piece too :) And i feel Hard Candy may secure a similar fate to Bedtime Stories in that it will remain all round good but in time perhaps it will be cemented as a piece of late 00s Pop music rather than the timeless feel beforehand.

MDNA i am uncertain of its fate...maybe it wil continue to grow with time...i mean tbh she has never done a record of so many different styles since...well..The Immaculate COllection lol so its anyones guess really but its much more solid with its variation than Hard Candy was before it.

But i do sense that fire again in her heart and soul...the MDNA tour is hands down one of her finest so that spark is still there to make a massive conceptualised piece for this decade....its just when and how :cool: cannot wait though :)

And yeah thats the thing with Impossible Princess i never really got into that either...something about it i am very unease of lol, and X and Aphrodite are all round solid records but i dont know...X feels like an Electropop mish mash without any true personal focus bar Cosmic i feel and APhrodite is better conceptualised...but Stuart Prices co-production i feel is very mellow and watered down and more focused on minor elements than a broader scope....but they did better on that i feel anyhow...i am intrigued as to where she will head next though...i mean at the same age Madonna blew the house down with American Life...so i am ready for Kylie to perhaps hint and breaking down her "Smiley Kylie" persona perhaps ;) :cool: bring it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it's no coincidence her second weakest album Hard Candy is only the third time in her career when she used of the time producers and formulated a very pin point sound that of urban electro heavily influenced by the sounds of Timbaland. As for MDNA i think it will follow the same fate a lull before brinign it back im excited for next time i think she has learnt alot from the backlash and the lukewarm response and realised she is better than that record.

And IP i feel was the beginning of her transition look at this way when she came back she didn't do on trend sounds she followed her own path and created a Disco record with one foot in 1970 and another in 2000 without IP i feel she would never have done or created her parlaphone records and Abbey Road is a sign of a new mature Kylie striving forth another reinvention perhaps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's no coincidence her second weakest album Hard Candy is only the third time in her career when she used of the time producers and formulated a very pin point sound that of urban electro heavily influenced by the sounds of Timbaland. As for MDNA i think it will follow the same fate a lull before brinign it back im excited for next time i think she has learnt alot from the backlash and the lukewarm response and realised she is better than that record.

And IP i feel was the beginning of her transition look at this way when she came back she didn't do on trend sounds she followed her own path and created a Disco record with one foot in 1970 and another in 2000 without IP i feel she would never have done or created her parlaphone records and Abbey Road is a sign of a new mature Kylie striving forth another reinvention perhaps.

Yeah and i am surprised that William Orbit on MDNA kinda retread the same ground he did on Music and even ROL really but basically wasnt as impactful as his contributions tbh...while i do adore gang bang of course and i do really like Im A Sinner...i feel live MDNA really does literally come alive if you get me? there are total gems on there but yeah i do feel perhaps it will follow a similar fate...although all round solid and very good we all know what a force Madonna can be even still :cool: So yeah lets hope what with the US lapping her up post-backlash again and what with Pussy Riot, Media bile, and really heading new grounds with her family (Lourdes moving out with friends so i heard) Madonna i feel will be getting a new creative energy which i cannot wait to see and hear :)

And aint it funny...its like a one trick pony almost Hard Candy and BS couldnt replicate that impact of LAV....but i suppose then Nile was in his first segment of his career and M of course was on her second album so that teamwork worked...plus i feel they pushed each other a lot more than say later contributions.

And isnt it also funny mentioning transitional Kylie kinda did it across the 90s whereas Madonna went through it with Bedtime Stories finding herself and transitioning through the motions to get to ROL onwards...and now i feel we are there again from 2008 until this point...its like a quest of self dscovery again :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah and i am surprised that William Orbit on MDNA kinda retread the same ground he did on Music and even ROL really but basically wasnt as impactful as his contributions tbh...while i do adore gang bang of course and i do really like Im A Sinner...i feel live MDNA really does literally come alive if you get me? there are total gems on there but yeah i do feel perhaps it will follow a similar fate...although all round solid and very good we all know what a force Madonna can be even still :cool: So yeah lets hope what with the US lapping her up post-backlash again and what with Pussy Riot, Media bile, and really heading new grounds with her family (Lourdes moving out with friends so i heard) Madonna i feel will be getting a new creative energy which i cannot wait to see and hear :)

And aint it funny...its like a one trick pony almost Hard Candy and BS couldnt replicate that impact of LAV....but i suppose then Nile was in his first segment of his career and M of course was on her second album so that teamwork worked...plus i feel they pushed each other a lot more than say later contributions.

And isnt it also funny mentioning transitional Kylie kinda did it across the 90s whereas Madonna went through it with Bedtime Stories finding herself and transitioning through the motions to get to ROL onwards...and now i feel we are there again from 2008 until this point...its like a quest of self dscovery again :)

I agree MDNA, BS, and HC all round solid albums but without real solid investment in their overall era's and sounds but each make for a good listen and have some true gems on there.

And totally M and KM i feel are getting ready for a real investment in themselves and their music so its exciting to see where their next albums will rank after all they are nothing if not surprising :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have blocks of four really,

Confessions On A Dancefloor
    Music
    True Blue
    Ray of Light
    Madonna
    American Life
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Bedtime Stories
    Hard Candy
    Like A Virgin
    MDNA

Confessions and Music are masterpieces. All time classics, and I never get tired of listening to them, or watching their associated tours (DWT&CT)

TB, RoL, Madonna and AL are all really top notch albums. I know alot of people don't like American Life, because it's not a dance-pop album, but it doesn't try to be. It's a great concept album, and she done it justice.

The next block, LAP, Erotica, BS and HC, are albums I do listen to in full once every now and then, but I wouldn't call them my favourite albums of hers, and it's only the singles from these albums that I would say that do them justice.

The last two, LaV and MDNA are my least favourite albums, particulaly MDNA, since it was such a let down to the massive comeback she had been promising. There wasn't enough love and attention to detail with it, and it seemed a bit rushed just so she could go on tour. It's very much quanity or quality, very much like Bionic.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    1 Confessions
    2 Ray of light
    3 Like a prayer
    4 Bedtime stories
    5 The first album
    6 Erotica
    7 Music
    8 True Blue
    9 Im breathless
    10 Like a virgin
    11 Hard candy
    12 American life
    13 MDNA ( absolutly awful IMO,didn't bother buying it)

I rather enjoyed MDNA. My favourite song on it is "Masterpiece".
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

I do too. "Causing A Commotion" was one of my favourite teenage songs.

Both "Who's That Girl" and "I'm Breathless" were influencial socially and personally in my late teens and I still find them great albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree MDNA, BS, and HC all round solid albums but without real solid investment in their overall era's and sounds but each make for a good listen and have some true gems on there.

And totally M and KM i feel are getting ready for a real investment in themselves and their music so its exciting to see where their next albums will rank after all they are nothing if not surprising :)

Totally!

ANd yes i mean when she said to DS in that article a couple days back that she wants to make "a spectacular album" next it really shwos that she went through another transitional period...and she has told everyone the past year she is not just the SMiley Kylie facade...it all leads to something i feel coming up for her next studio album :) And like i said...at the same age Madonna released so much gusto and mixed it up with American Life....i feel Kylie is ready to hit perhaps that stage and let all her guard down...it will be interesting most definitely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redlight79 wrote: »
    I have blocks of four really,

Confessions On A Dancefloor
    Music
    True Blue
    Ray of Light
    Madonna
    American Life
    Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Bedtime Stories
    Hard Candy
    Like A Virgin
    MDNA

Confessions and Music are masterpieces. All time classics, and I never get tired of listening to them, or watching their associated tours (DWT&CT)

TB, RoL, Madonna and AL are all really top notch albums. I know alot of people don't like American Life, because it's not a dance-pop album, but it doesn't try to be. It's a great concept album, and she done it justice.

The next block, LAP, Erotica, BS and HC, are albums I do listen to in full once every now and then, but I wouldn't call them my favourite albums of hers, and it's only the singles from these albums that I would say that do them justice.

The last two, LaV and MDNA are my least favourite albums, particulaly MDNA, since it was such a let down to the massive comeback she had been promising. There wasn't enough love and attention to detail with it, and it seemed a bit rushed just so she could go on tour. It's very much quanity or quality, very much like Bionic.

Again very intriguing selections and interesting what you say there too.

Again...love the Madonna fanbase...i love how varied tastes and flavours are its brilliant :D

Even if we all tend to disagree with arrangement i do love it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do too. "Causing A Commotion" was one of my favourite teenage songs.

Both "Who's That Girl" and "I'm Breathless" were influencial socially and personally in my late teens and I still find them great albums.

That is brilliant :)

I love the journey Im Breathless feels like...i mean it is the sandwich centre of my favourite segment of Madonnas legacy (Like A Prayer/Im Breathless/Dick Tracey/Blonde Ambition World Tour/Immaculate/Truth Or Dare/League of Their Own/Erotica/SEX Book/girlie Show) such a sublime 5 years of just immense art form!

But IB truly encaptures Jazz elements and Traditional Pop/Swing and then atches up with contemporary sounds of New Jack Swing and House...sublime! and to think she recorded it in less than a month! :cool: