The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had time to reflect on the poor Christmas offering is there any way we can collectively inform the Beeb that we are more interested in entertainment than winning a ratings war?

Christmas Night in particular was poor

Strictly Come Dancing Christmas Special – Do we really need this on Christmas Night – it’s about the judges not the dancing and we get it all Autumn thru to Christmas as it is

6.15pm Call the Midwife – Nostalgic Pap but, easy viewing, I’ll give you that

7.30pm Doctor Who : - Often heralds a new doctor so whilst I’m not a fan I understand why it’s in there.

8.30pm EastEnders – Why are we exposed to this bunch of loud depressing loud wannabe gangsters being loud On Christmas Night. Surely the one night of the year we need a break from this is Christmas. This is the prime slot and if you don’t follow it you are excluded (is that fair, on Christmas Night?) There is plenty of time to catch up with the depressing storylines – there’s only one Christmas night

9.30pm Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special – this is one of the most over-rated comedies of all time why oh why is it on TV let alone Christmas Night

10.05pm Michael McIntyre's Showtime – what a waste of licence payers money – he is not in any way funny – now he’s being paid half a million to do 8 chat shows, based on what? It’s not even as if he’s ever displayed any intelligence or oratory elegance. It’s odds on they’ll be lining him up to interview, some E-listers next Christmas Night

As for couple of other shows

Sherlock / Last Tango In Halifax – Stand out drama it’s what the beeb do best. So let’s Have more.

Open All Hours – When will they ever learn? First they try to air a brand new untried comedy on Christmas Night (Come Fly With Me) Then they try to rehash a comedy that has been played to death (The Royle Family) it’s almost as though someone thought Open All hours would be good simply based on the law of averages.

We all know there are some gems out there at Christmas and whilst it’s nice to spread them over the Christmas period this is just taking the piss!

The most depressing thought is we already know Christmas Evening 2014 will look pretty similar.

So, there you have it. Hopefully something, you’ll agree, of a balanced critique. If not, at least something that will promote some lively debate.

Bbc1 getting the best ratings shows how right they got it, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.
  • BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Whatever the beeb show on Christmas Night will get massive ratings. It doesn't make it quality TV.

For the last 3 years (2 Christmas Nights) we've had Come Fly With Me(2011), The Royle Family (2012), Open All Hours (2013). All Big rating Winners based on expectation NOT Quality. All 3 were disapointting to say the least and if anyone had have played these to a random audience prior to airing they might never have hit our screens.
    Forum Member
    I think Strictly could be given a rest or at least moved to Christmas Eve.

Doctor Who and EastEnders have become a Christmas tradition now and although I don't watch EastEnders millions do.

As for Mrs Brown's Boys and Michael McIntyre it's all a matter of taste, I like both of them but appreciate there are people who don't.

Would be nice to see something different though on Christmas Day and rumours are that we may get Sherlock this year!

Whatever the BBC1 serve up even if it is similar to previous years it will be far superior to what ITV offer.........soap, more soaps and Downton Abbey! I must admit, though that I loved BBC2's Christmas night lineup

The Two Ronnies
    Morecambe & Wise
    Ghost Story : The Tractate Middoth
    M R James Ghost Writer

It was like an old fashioned Christmas!
    Totally agree with your comments about BBC2 line-up and M+W had my 22 year old daughter in stiches.
    Quality comedy will stand the test of time. And yes lots of things are down to taste. But Eastenders is shown 50 times a week as it is and doesn't need to be aired on Christmas Night it's just too depressing and it's extremely lazy scheduling. But to talk of Eastenders and Christmas tradition in the same sentence is even more depressing. Is the beeb totally bereft of vision?
  • Claires_dadClaires_dad Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with your comments about BBC2 line-up and M+W had my 22 year old daughter in stiches.
    Quality comedy will stand the test of time. And yes lots of things are down to taste. But Eastenders is shown 50 times a week as it is and doesn't need to be aired on Christmas Night it's just too depressing and it's extremely lazy scheduling. But to talk of Eastenders and Christmas tradition in the same sentence is even more depressing. Is the beeb totally bereft of vision?

I agree it's depressing but EastEnders has been shown on Christmas Day for the last 21 years and fans of the show now expect it to be shown on Christmas Day.

In fact between 1985 and 1991 EastEnders was either shown on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day or both with the occasional Christmas Day showing.
    Forum Member
    There is a possibility that this year's Downton Abbey Christmas Special will be set at Christmas

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-29/downton-abbeys-allen-leech-we-are-aiming-for-a-christmas-special-set-at-christmas-this-year
  • AllanAllan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Did I fail to notice it in the listings, or was a Top Gear Christmas Special not shown in 2013??
    Forum Member
    Allan wrote: »
    Did I fail to notice it in the listings, or was a Top Gear Christmas Special not shown in 2013??

There wasn't one, a special was recorded but was not completed and edited in time for Christmas (just like last 2012!) and should be shown soon.
  • AllanAllan Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    There wasn't one, a special was recorded but was not completed and edited in time for Christmas (just like last 2012!) and should be shown soon.

Ah! Thank you Claires_dad.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New GB Superstar (insert name) Gold Medalist from Sochi graces RT front cover as Santa as BBC2 looks at the life of our only 2014 Gold Medal winner.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New GB Superstar (insert name) Gold Medalist from Sochi graces RT front cover as Santa as BBC2 looks at the life of our only 2014 Gold Medal winner.

Nah! The winter Olympics are generally forgotten about the minute after the Closing Ceremony ends! No one will care about them in March, let alone Christmas. They're hardly the proper Olympics are they?
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Nah! The winter Olympics are generally forgotten about the minute after the Closing Ceremony ends! No one will care about them in March, let alone Christmas. They're hardly the proper Olympics are they?
    - Think that's a bit harsdh on the athlete's who train hard all year round and show just as much commitment as other athletes. Also because of the 'winter conditions' required for their training they probably do more in terms of endurance.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    The BBC have commissioned 6 episodes of Still open all hours http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2548886/Look-whos-coming-b-b-BBC-commissions-six-half-hour-episodes maybe another Christmas special is in the pipeline.
  • digibladedigiblade Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    The BBC have commissioned 6 episodes of Still open all hours http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2548886/Look-whos-coming-b-b-BBC-commissions-six-half-hour-episodes maybe another Christmas special is in the pipeline.

The one at Christmas was one of the poorest festive TV offerings. It was nearly as bad as the return of 'To the manor born' a few years ago. Personally, I hope we don't have to suffer another Christmas lowlight.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Concerning the Radio a Times I have subscribed to it for delivery for some time, apart from the delays if it coming on. Wednesday or later some weeks twice it's failed to show up at all.

Now it could be RT printers, or could be the post office and delivering it incorrectly and someone keeping it, but when you contact RT Their not bothered at all.

First response is wait till Saturday, well it starts on Saturday, then it's well we will add one issue to the end , well that just means you lost a week and just pay your DD one week later.

I told them this time after their e mails were rather not bothered, no really sorry sir know the inconvenience , no empathy, that I will cancel the DD and the response was your last issue will be xx/xx/14, no sorry to loose you, no please re think not even a good bye, just a factual end date.
    Forum Member
    digiblade wrote: »
    The one at Christmas was one of the poorest festive TV offerings. It was nearly as bad as the return of 'To the manor born' a few years ago. Personally, I hope we don't have to suffer another Christmas lowlight.
    In total agreement with you. It's almost a throwback to the seventies. Eton educated suits deciding they know whats best for us. I was relieved to see they didn't fall into the Royle Family trap last Christmas but at the first opportunity they're at it again with Open All Hours.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see Being Eileen return for Christmas before a season Two. Assuming a second season is still planned.
  • Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member

Unless SPOTY is on that week ;-)

Also the RT didn't alter their listings for these Olympics unlike London 2012.
  • BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they will hold back or film a johnathon creek for Xmas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is amazing to think that already we're in month three of the year and we have news of what BBC1 will be showing as the centrepiece for Christmas 2015.
    Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.
  • Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    It is amazing to think that already we're in month three of the year and we have news of what BBC1 will be showing as the centrepiece for Christmas 2015.
    Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None.
    Agatha Christie herself originally gave it the title "10 little nigers".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agatha Christie herself originally gave it the title "10 little nigers".

Wasn't that the title she gave "Ten Little Indians"?
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever given it a thought — by Christmas 2014 if they keep raising the price of Radio Times it may have ceased publication.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Ever given it a thought — by Christmas 2014 if they keep raising the price of Radio Times it may have ceased publication.

The people who by RT are largely the same sort of people who spend £3.00 on a weekend paper. While RT's readership decreases, it won't cease to exist. I have gone back to What's On TV as it is £1.26 per week cheaper and contains similar information as RT.
  • Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    The people who by RT are largely the same sort of people who spend £3.00 on a weekend paper. While RT's readership decreases, it won't cease to exist. I have gone back to What's On TV as it is £1.26 per week cheaper and contains similar information as RT.

Bought Radio Times & TV Times years ago when you had to for the BBC channels and ITV. When both mags were allowed to carry complete listings our family ditched TV Times for the Radio Times which we bought for many years.

Gradually though the price crept up and when What's On TV launched we moved over to that. Since now married myself I buy this every week too - we "only" have Freeview, so for that it's an excellent little magazine - good, clear layout, great value...

In the last year I managed to get 6 issues of RT for £1 - incl. the Christmas issue - thoroughly enjoyed it and it's a good quality read, but at £1.80 a copy (slightly less if subscribing) I couldn't justify the extra cost per week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Sirs wrote: »
    [

Bought Radio Times & TV Times years ago when you had to for the BBC channels and ITV. When both mags were allowed to carry complete listings our family ditched TV Times for the Radio Times which we bought for many years.

Gradually though the price crept up and when What's On TV launched we moved over to that. Since now married myself I buy this every week too - we "only" have Freeview, so for that it's an excellent little magazine - good, clear layout, great value...

In the last year I managed to get 6 issues of RT for £1 - incl. the Christmas issue - thoroughly enjoyed it and it's a good quality read, but at £1.80 a copy (slightly less if subscribing) I couldn't justify the extra cost per week.

Ben Preston doesn't care about his readers either. If you complain about the price and tell him you will not be buying it again, he just says "Oh well never mind." It needs to go down to £1.50 and then only increase by 5p per year like it used to.