The TG4 thread

Comments

• Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    TG4, another example of governments wasting money on non-English TV

spoken like the true monoglot English speaker you doubtless are.

Heaven forbid that Irish speakers in Ireland have some of their own taxes spent on a TV channel for them when English speakers have dozens to choose from., several state funded.
  • Options
    dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's the Gaelic for Troll?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last programme I remember teaching Irish was a pre-TG4 series called "Now You're Talking" that was an RTE/BBC NI co-production. It was released in VHS format, not sure if it was ever converted to DVD, though. Edit- the programmes can be viewed in full on YouTube.

I've got it. Thanks Paul.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dermott100 wrote: »

Amadán, b'fheidir?
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    Quite the opposite, actually (and your argument against is really very compelling to be fair).

Number 1 - It's a ridiculous notion that a TV channel that, first and foremost, serves a distinct region of the country is a waste of money. TG4 serves a lot of taxpayers for whom Irish is their first language (and many many more who have some Irish; or who want more Irish; or whom - like me - are learning Irish).

Number 2 - it runs a fair amount of English language programming which just doesn't get a look-in on other channels (in Ireland and across the UK ).

Number 3 - It takes it's motto "Súil Eile" literally, by simply being more adventurous in commissioning programmes than either RTE or TV3, in terms of the arts and other cultural matters, giving plenty support to independent producers. Also, plenty of RTE presenters got their first breaks in early shows on the channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only test in this year's International Rules series will be broadcast from Perth at 10 a.m. Irish time.
  • Options
    mbutler2007mbutler2007 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The only test in this year's International Rules series will be broadcast from Perth at 10 a.m. Irish time.

highlights on bt sport / espn if anyone wont to watch
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting to note the muted reaction to the Great War Diaries on BBC Two earlier in the year, it would seem the curiously abridged nature of the series diluted its impact, having only three episodes compared to ARTE's eight, and perhaps insufficient domestic focus. Certainly, the TG4 version seems to be rather more extended, and has a strong Irish focus, drawing on Home Rule and Sinn Féin perspectives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

Rather than resort to name calling, why not put up a decent argument?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But...shouldn't it be you providing the decent argument????

The channel exists and is meeting a need (even for hose who solely speak the English language).

So if you are going to argue against its existence you need to provide something more substantive than

which, if nothing else, has no basis in fact - even allowing for the error you made in your "argument".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But...shouldn't it be you providing the decent argument????

The channel exists and is meeting a need (even for hose who solely speak the English language).

So if you are going to argue against its existence you need to provide something more substantive than

TV is in the most part entertainment it isn't "needed".

Apologies I was going to respond more quickly to address the reasons why TG4 is not worth funding.

TG4 much like S4C in the UK fills an commercially nonviable need to supply a service to people on a language which makes their programming less accessible then it would be in English. The Irish language much like Welsh is essentially only spoken by people who speak English so why do you need another channel to supply this market?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Irish language much like Welsh is essentially only spoken by people who speak English so why do you need another channel to supply this market?

Did you even think about this argument because it actually applies to every single channel in the English language that is "funded" :confused:

Whereas a primarily Irish language channel serves those who wish to have a TV channel in their first language (these people pay the licence fee tax too in case you were unaware of this fact).

TG4 also serves and promotes Irish culture extremely well and, as stated earlier, provides not only Irish language but English language programming that simply is not broadcast on any other channel across Ireland and Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If one takes sport, for instance, many of the GAA matches covered, such as county finals, the Football and Hurling Leagues, women's football are all examples that neither the FTA channels nor Setanta were bothered about covering, yet have proven a worthwhile niche for the station. Similarly, the rights to rugby, Wimbledon and the Tour de France were uncontested, and would otherwise have been lost to Saorview subscribers. In terms of public service programming, both the proportion and quality are generally higher than for RTE Two, and while TV3 are gradually introducing more domestic product, they remain overly-dependent on Vincent Browne for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    n1 wrote: »

Because your argument is ridiculous, insulting and lacking any type of logical thought. Also if you think being called a troll (which in all honesty I did not call you, I was just asking around for the translation of a word (:-) ) is name calling, I would invite you to send me a PM, then you will find out that "Troll" is very much on the lighter side of any insults I could chuck at you.

Instead of trying to wind up decent people, having a decent discussion, why don't you crabh suas agus shluagh (sp?) mo wad agus dun an beal?

Sorry Paul for needing to post this. Back to a proper mature discussion
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Irish language much like Welsh is essentially only spoken by people who speak English so why do you need another channel to supply this market?

be careful, your agenda is showing. From experience with Welsh programming in the 70s it's very unpopular to mix English and Welsh (or Irish) programming on the same channel, with monoglot English speakers squealing the loudest. So the solution was to separate it and put it on its own channel. As you disapprove of even that you clearly want all TV to be in English only. Thankfully you get no say in the matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    be careful, your agenda is showing. From experience with Welsh programming in the 70s it's very unpopular to mix English and Welsh (or Irish) programming on the same channel, with monoglot English speakers squealing the loudest. So the solution was to separate it and put it on its own channel. As you disapprove of even that you clearly want all TV to be in English only. Thankfully you get no say in the matter.

No I don't have a problem with non English channels in the slightest, I just don't they should recieve government or license fee payers money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if half a million Welsh actively speak the language daily, then perhaps S4C could survive commercially. However, you only have to look at France for examples of the fates of minority languages when denied public support. Paris has an official policy that only French has recognition, with the result that Breton has nosedive from one million speakers to roughly 200,000 today, and Occitan in a similar, if numerically healthier position. The languages have small, local radio stations broadcasting, but find it virtually impossible to secure TV programming, reducing likelihood of transmission to future generations.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    I can't see how a non Irish resident can criticise this channel. We should applaud attempts to retain local ethnic (yes it seems strange to use that word for white culture) identity. We have lost a real identity in many parts of England and seem to prefer to try to copy US identity at every turn (simple examples Halloween and Black Friday). I wish there was more an attempt to promote our country's culture and I'm not talking about politics at all. Well done to S4C and TG4 for doing this for parts of Ireland and Wales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't have a problem with non English channels in the slightest, I just don't they should recieve government or license fee payers money.

And again, there are many people in Ireland for whom Irish is their first language. This fact does not exempt them from paying for a TV licence.

PS you've used the American English spelling of the word licence there - a little ironic!
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the highest rated programmes on TG4 are? I suspect a lot of people only watch for GAA, Breaking Bad, English language films or the country music programmes where the links are in Irish but the songs are in English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And if half a million Welsh actively speak the language daily, then perhaps S4C could survive commercially.

On my last look, which was a while ago, the advertising revenue from S4C only made up a very small (less than 10%) of its funding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't see how a non Irish resident can criticise this channel.

Its surprisingly easy too :D
    We should applaud attempts to retain local ethnic (yes it seems strange to use that word for white culture) identity.

I have no problem with people doing that with their own time or money but it shouldn't be something the public sector should be involved in.
    We have lost a real identity in many parts of England and seem to prefer to try to copy US identity at every turn (simple examples Halloween and Black Friday). I wish there was more an attempt to promote our country's culture and I'm not talking about politics at all. Well done to S4C and TG4 for doing this for parts of Ireland and Wales.

Personally I'm all for cultural diversity and thank goodness we allow that in the UK. I think we benefit from immigration and I enjoy indulging in foreign food, sports and other events.

Not to go off topic but do you think the events you mentioned should be banned?

I think its quite patronizing that people need to be taxed or their license fee payed in order for them to have a certain view of culture broadcast to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you even think about this argument because it actually applies to every single channel in the English language that is "funded" :confused:

Lets not go into the rights and wrongs of PSB, but assuming that PSB is good why would you make it less accessible for the majority of the population? That seems like lunacy to me.
    Whereas a primarily Irish language channel serves those who wish to have a TV channel in their first language (these people pay the licence fee tax too in case you were unaware of this fact).

Again can people who speak Irish not also speak English? Why do you expect the majority to pay for a channel in a language that has little practical use?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because your argument is ridiculous, insulting and lacking any type of logical thought.

You say that, yet fail once again to explain why this is the case.

Why is it insulting?
    Also if you think being called a troll (which in all honesty I did not call you, I was just asking around for the translation of a word (:-) ) is name calling, I would invite you to send me a PM, then you will find out that "Troll" is very much on the lighter side of any insults I could chuck at you.

Asserting something is very similar to saying something, and just because you can come out with worse insults doesn't mean its not name calling and failing to address the issue.
    Instead of trying to wind up decent people, having a decent discussion, why don't you crabh suas agus shluagh (sp?) mo wad agus dun an beal?

Sorry Paul for needing to post this. Back to a proper mature discussion

There is so much wrong with this section, but I will take the conversation way off topic. I would however like to know what is your definition of "mature discussion"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And again, there are many people in Ireland for whom Irish is their first language. This fact does not exempt them from paying for a TV licence.

PS you've used the American English spelling of the word licence there - a little ironic!

Read my other posts, and blame my spell checker :)