English channels & French subtitles

Adam DAdam D Posts: 5,124
Forum Member
Hi, A friend of mine has a french friend staying for a week or so and asked me to find out if there are any channels/programs, or even any way at all that carry French subtitles?

I don't think there is, but there is an option on the Sky box to change prefered language to French.

Thanks in advance.

I just suggested to watch a dvd with french subtitles.

Comments

• Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,476
    Forum Member
    Adam D wrote: »
    Hi, A friend of mine has a french friend staying for a week or so and asked me to find out if there are any channels/programs, or even any way at all that carry French subtitles?

I don't think there is, but there is an option on the Sky box to change prefered language to French.

No tv programmes carry French subtitles.

The option on a digital set top box is a standard feature - you can select the language only if a broadcaster is broadcasting multiple languages. It's not much use on most channels in the UK except for Welsh or English subtitles on S4C.
  • well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam D wrote: »

I just suggested to watch a dvd with french subtitles.

Or watch 'Allo Allo' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine the uproar if the BBC spent money on providing subtitles for the French!
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a dish in the garden and pick up French FTA TV.

EuroNews has French language track if you select French as the preferred language.
  • belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a dish in the garden and pick up French FTA TV.

EuroNews has French language track if you select French as the preferred language.

I've got a dish left up by the previous occupant of the house that, when a box is plugged into it, picks up Euronews, TV5, Arte, a couple of terrible French shopping channels and a long list of pretty much every national and large regional radio station in France (which is what I tend to use it for), but no TF1, France 2/3/4/5 or M6. It mainly has a large selection of German TV along with a smattering of other random countries (Cuba Vision, anyone?!).

I remember reading somewhere that you have to get a special TNT SAT* box from France (at about £100!) to activate viewing of the main French channels. TV5 suffices, but I'd rather watch films and documentaries than the Belgian nightly news.

* "Télévision Numérique Terrestre par Satellite". No, it doesn't make sense...!
  • well2dowell2do Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a dish left up by the previous occupant of the house that, when a box is plugged into it, picks up Euronews, TV5, Arte, a couple of terrible French shopping channels and a long list of pretty much every national and large regional radio station in France (which is what I tend to use it for), but no TF1, France 2/3/4/5 or M6. It mainly has a large selection of German TV along with a smattering of other random countries (Cuba Vision, anyone?!).

I remember reading somewhere that you have to get a special TNT SAT* box from France (at about £100!) to activate viewing of the main French channels. TV5 suffices, but I'd rather watch films and documentaries than the Belgian nightly news.

* "Télévision Numérique Terrestre par Satellite". No, it doesn't make sense...!

I receive the TNT channels via aerial & freeview but then I live close enough to receive them, info about receivers and satellite can be found here

http://loire.angloinfo.com/countries/france/tnt.asp

and here along with a forum and programme list etc.

http://www.tvnt.net/V2/pages/217/index.php

And TNT via Astra satellite here

http://www.tntsat.tv/page_comment_benef.html
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do French channels provide English sub-titles ? I very much doubt it.TV5 is on Sky in any case:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Do French channels provide English sub-titles ? I very much doubt it.TV5 is on Sky in any case:D

Dont know about french TV, but I can tell you about Spanish TV and know that most European countries do the same. With Digital terrestrial now taking over in most euro countries, channels are broadcasting shows dubbed into their language (which is the norm), and then transmit different soundtracks on their audio channels - with the original source language being one of them.
    In spain most channels now transmit programmes dubbed in Spanish, with the option to choose say English, but also to choose any of the country's other languages, like Catalan, Galician,. Basque, etc.