The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 1 HD Wales launched this morning on Sky channel 143 taking over from BBC 1 HD England. Also now on Freeview. BBC 1 HD England stays on the Sky EPG at 976.

A Channel 4 OD 'Coming Spring 2013' page was also added to the Sky Catch Up page alongside the (already working) BBC, ITV, Five and Sky catch up boxes. Nat Geo, History and Crime have also been launched as day by day catch up service boxes alongside the above - much strengthening the service accessible via Sky boxes from today.

And when 4oD goes live it'll be a glorious day and will make 4seven pretty much redundant. In fact it's redundant in my home now anyway. I can't remember the last time I watched it.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,618
    Forum Member
    So ripper street has been recommisioned and has final viewing figures of 7.1 on average. Another hit for bbc one and the second most successful series launch on america behind doctor who aparently! Hope itv dont steal ben stephenson who seems to be able to axe rubbish and create hit shows! Some viewers like gruesome obviously.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Regarding miranda and mrs brows boys is there more life in these shows or should the bbc be looking to refresh and replace them not flog them to death

Well there's going to be at least one more series of MBB according to Brendan and a feature film for 2014.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Well there's going to be at least one more series of MBB according to Brendan and a feature film for 2014.

Apparently he is contracted to make three more Christmas specials for the BBC, which would make a fourth and perhaps even fifth series a strong possibility.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    And when 4oD goes live it'll be a glorious day and will make 4seven pretty much redundant. In fact it's redundant in my home now anyway. I can't remember the last time I watched it.

Never have. The launch of More4 HD next week is good news though. Looking forward to Nashville.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    The Following increased by a tenth to score 3.3 in the demo for episode 2, the only new drama to improve on the pilot so far this season. Note that CBS was on reruns, but still a good result:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/01/29/tv-ratings-monday-the-following-bones-rise-the-biggest-loser-dips-the-carrie-diaries-the-bachelor-steady/
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have the primetime ratings for C4 on Saturday and Sunday? Many thanks.
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 23,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too happy about the Saturday repeat which takes viewers off Monday, doesn't help Miranda, and just encourages lazy BBC1 scheduling.

Am sure it would get 2m more on Mondays without the repeat.
    Not sure how you work that out when Miranda rates no worse than Mrs Brown most weeks, even though that has no repeat. Economines wise too it's better for the BBC to have around 11-12m (overnights) over two showings than 8-9m over one I'm sure.
    I nearly watched it at the weekend when my recording of The Last Leg failed, but 4seven's only showing of it had been a couple of hours after the C4 broadcast - so with no C4 repeat it was off to 4oD for me. World Without End doesn't get a repeat either, while Utopia just gets it's premiere on C4 and a post-midnight repeat on 4seven - a repeat which would probably be on C4 without it anyway.

I must say though a year on from it's rebrand More4 does seem to be picking up now and having more original content (I've seen a few critics slamming C4 for putting a Holocaust Memorial Day special on More4 rather than the main channel (which aired Come Dine with Me and The Hotel). I still think though 4seven is surplus to requirements and repeats of flagships shows from C4 can easily be accomodate on C4, E4 and More4 as appropriate.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 1 HD Wales launched this morning ...
    On Freeview, it launched halfway through the continuity announcement for Bargain Hunt, so the first half of the announcement was read by a northern woman, and the second half by a Welsh bloke. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2.4 Children was another great show, did solid ratings for a few series then in Autumn 1992/1993 I believe it became huge when it went out at 8.30pm opposite World In Action. That's when the show took off. Very underrated I felt, a bit like a British Roseanne and also very surreal in places. And ended far too soon due to the tragic death of Gary Olsen.
    Yeah, it went to Mondays at 8.30pm in 1994. If only they'd done it sooner. In the previous three autumns when 2point4children was running on Tuesdays at 8.30pm, the Monday slot was being given over to repeats of Brush Strokes, new wildlife series Velvet Claw etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are my interesting facts about You Rang M'Lord. The pilot was of course at Christmas 1988 then repeated as the first of the first series (presumably edited, the pilot was an hour). I remember the final episode of the third series, the Sunday before Christmas, was scheduled at 9.30 - after the others had all been at 7.15 - to cram in the premiere of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, but Terry "Hello, I'm Terry Waite" Waite had been released that week and they had an interview with him, so it ended up going out at 10.30, much to my sister's disgust as she was still watching it and wasn't allowed to stay up for it. 9.30 was pushing it a bit.
    I'd forgotten about that later slot for the final episode. I think there might have been a Last of the Summer Wine Xmas special that night, too. :o
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting scheduling...

- Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang premières on ITV1 on Saturday 9th February at 18:00
    - BAFTA Film Awards at 9 on BBC1, Ripper Street misses a week on Sunday 10th
    - Big Fat Gypsy Valentine's(!!) on C4 on Monday 11th at 9pm, followed by Black Mirror
    - Emmerdale airs for a hour from 6:45, followed by Tottenham vs Lyon in the Europa League until 10:10 on Thursday 14th
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Big Fat Gypsy Valentine's(!!) on C4 on Monday 11th at 9pm, followed by Black Mirror
    LOL. Go together like a horse and carriage these two, don't they?

Sometimes I wonder if C4 scheduling is conducted through a random draw. It's the only logical explanation.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Doctor Beeching around 8m in summer 1996 - dunno about its ratings in 1997, but they can't have been great.

I actually Loved that show! It was one of the last proper old fashioned sitcoms. Quite underrated in my opinion and it's a shame it never really took off.

I really enjoyed it. It was just a bit silly and was perfect to wind down to on a Sunday.

This brings back memories! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnQr1u21GUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaGiewYBHmM

Oh dear. That to much for one day! :D

Ken
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As if Celebrity Millionaire wasn't repulsive enough by taking half the winnings from the charities and giving it to a viewer, editing the repeat is proving impossible not to mention it.
    So when the prize question comes up, a message appears "This is a repeat. Competition lines are closed". :mad:
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    I nearly watched it at the weekend when my recording of The Last Leg failed, but 4seven's only showing of it had been a couple of hours after the C4 broadcast - so with no C4 repeat it was off to 4oD for me.

Ooh, I was going to say, i watched The Last Leg last night, it was alright, but the problem is it's undoubtedly going to cover a lot of the same ground as 8 Out Of 10 Cats straight before it. Especially as Josh Widdicombe is out 8 Out Of 10 Cats most weeks anyway. Also, if it's live, I think half an hour is too short as by the time the audience had stopped whooping, it was almost time to go.
    I'd forgotten about that later slot for the final episode. I think there might have been a Last of the Summer Wine Xmas special that night, too. :o

Yes, so Saturday 22nd December 1991 was, in full...
    7.15 Last of the Summer Wine
    7.45 Planes, Trains and Automaobiles
    9.15 News
    9.30 Terry "Hello, I'm Terry Waite" Waite
    10.30 or thereabouts You Rang M'Lord

On ITV that night was The Darling Buds Of May at 7.15, presumably the Beeb assumed You Rang M'Lord would have got no viewers opposite that. I remember much kerfuffle in the papers because I'm sure the Darling Buds was in the provisional schedules for Christmas Day then at the last minute they swapped it with Watching. And the second ever Comedy Awards at 8.15.

1991 schedules, there. No doubt some are now thinking the Peterborough snow depth discussion was a golden age for this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Some interesting scheduling...

- Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang premières on ITV1 on Saturday 9th February at 18:00
    I didn't even know they'd made a second one of those.
    Dancc wrote: »
    LOL. Go together like a horse and carriage these two, don't they?

Sometimes I wonder if C4 scheduling is conducted through a random draw. It's the only logical explanation.
    :D I can just imagine George Dixon holding a velvet bag like they used to use for the FA Cup draws, and Jay Hunt reaching in for the balls. So to speak. :o
    1991 schedules, there. No doubt some are now thinking the Peterborough snow depth discussion was a golden age for this thread.
    :D
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Joe40 wrote: »
    As if Celebrity Millionaire wasn't repulsive enough by taking half the winnings from the charities and giving it to a viewer, editing the repeat is proving impossible not to mention it.
    So when the prize question comes up, a message appears "This is a repeat. Competition lines are closed". :mad:

First shown in May last year and got 3.3m inc +1. Looking how the even more rapid repeat of the Panto edition did recently, it could do about the same this time.

While checking the May 2012 pages of this thread I came across some discussion of the BBC's decision to repeat the first series of Death in Paradise on Sundays at that time. There was some criticism, but F1Ken said this:
    But what are the chances of some of those 2.2 million people being new people? I think series two will rate well. 6 million material I think maybe 7. It's good the beeb are introducing it to more people and trying to help series two.

You were right, Ken! Although only two out of eight episodes were repeated in the end.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV Might come 3rd tonight to last after 8PM :yawn: :sleep:
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »

Delighted to see I'm not the only person who finds this offensive.

edit: Given to a viewer who's entered a premium rate phone competition that boosts the profits of the production company. Making it even more repulsive.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o for which I apologise again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    :o for which I apologise again.
    Has it melted yet? ;)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has it melted yet? ;)
    yes, yes it has.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how Dallas will do tonight? Looks a promising start to season 2. Already more humour.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Wonder how Dallas will do tonight? Looks a promising start to season 2. Already more humour.

It would be nice if it was around 1.7m (2.0m inc +1)....hough it could finish 5th in the timeslot, it depends if BBC2 & ITV hold up on last week's figures.
This discussion has been closed.