Long-distance commuting on a regular basis for work

fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I live in Cardiff but have been offered a job in London, its only three days a week but its great pay.

Living in London is extremely expensive, so I'm considering remaining living in Cardiff but commuting to London for those three days, via a National Express coach, which is a four hour journey.

Does anyone on here long-distance commute? I can imagine its exhausting but at least you save money I suppose.

I just need to know if its worth doing, and if its tolerable.

Comments

• miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By coach? I imagine that'll take a long time? I mean, by train it takes just over two hours!

Is there any way you could consider relocating to a town/village/city outside of London? Like Luton, Stevenage, etc? I don't really know much about property prices around there, but I do know my future sister-in-law lives just outside of Luton, and rents, and it's not expensive.

Is there any type of housing or anything your job can offer you? Maybe they can give you advice on relocating nearer London, without the extreme cost involved of relocating to actual London.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For three days a week I would look at short term rentals / hotels... Hostels even.
    I stayed in a Hostel by Kings Cross the other night for £17, as I was getting an early train. Once you have your eye shades and ear plugs its doable.

Would not fancy a four hour plus commute every day.

If you plan ahead for travel and accommodation can be quite reasonable.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to commute between Brackley and Birmingham (90 minutes each way, 60 of it by train). It was okay as long as I thought of the train ride as an opportunity to read. But I'm now near the end of my notice period and I haven't had to do that commute for several weeks. The new post is in Banbury and the relief is huge to say nothing of getting two hours of my life back every day.

So - it's okay as long as the job is interesting and possibly if the money is good. But it's not something you want to do seriously long term. I only did my commute for 14 months and that was enough. 8 hours a day is madness - especially if it's by coach. I suggest you find somewhere closer to London. The area around Banbury ought to offer places for rent and it's only an hour to London by train.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in Cardiff but have been offered a job in London, its only three days a week but its great pay.

Living in London is extremely expensive, so I'm considering remaining living in Cardiff but commuting to London for those three days, via a National Express coach, which is a four hour journey.

Does anyone on here long-distance commute? I can imagine its exhausting but at least you save money I suppose.

8 hours commuting a day? Not really doable even just for 3 days. You will be shattered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I would get them to put me up in a hotel and stay over if it's only three days a week. Doing that journey day after day will grind you down. I have a 400 mile round trip commute once a week and that's a killer, so tend to drive up the night before and stay over in a nearby hotel, although sometimes go up and down in a day.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's great pay can you not buy a property in Hertfordshire or Berkshire?
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I commute 3 hrs per day, 5 days per week.

The commute does take a huge chunk out of my life, but I try not to think of the travelling time as 'wasted'. Instead, I use it for reading, listening to music, learning something new, etc.

The worst part is that you have very little time to yourself in the evenings (during the week). As you're only working 3 days per week, a better option might be to stay in a B&B for 2-3 nights per week (if you don't fancy the travelling). It depends also on the demands of the job, e.g. if you will need to work late sometimes, then a B&B would be better.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's 3 consecutive days then you only need to stay 2 nights in London. There are 4 trains from Cardiff that arrive before 9:00am and if booked in advance you could get a round trip for under £100
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do ~160 miles per day (~80 miles each way) and it's perfectly fine. A quick jaunt up the M6 and I'm there. Four hours each way on a coach though, well that's just plain daft.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    The worst part is that you have very little time to yourself in the evenings (during the week).
    Yes that's one thing I've noticed since stopping the commute. My evenings have extended by 50% to around six hours.

The other thing I disliked though was being reliant on an hourly train service. As it happens Chiltern was generally very reliable but it still irked me and when things did go wrong I hated that feeling of potentially being stranded 60 miles away from home. What seemed like a fairly easy commute suddenly became a long distance.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why don't you sneak off to sleep in the boiler room/broom cupboard/shop window like wot I would
    :kitty:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    We relocated last year and I continued commuting into London for several months (2.5hrs each way x 5 days a week). I tried to make the most of my train journey by working/ reading on the train but it was extremely tiring and expensive!

8 hours a day on a bus sound like hell - even if it is only 3 days a week! Do you have friends in London? A couple of nights a week on a sofa/floor would be a lot easier!
  • AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I know it is not in the same league, but my firm are moving July. It will take my easy journey from a 16 mile round trip (ok, by car) to 106 miles per day.

I wouldn't do it personally, but I guess if you are on the coach you can read and/or sleep. But as others have said, it may be worth staying for those two days..
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    My manager commutes 4 hours a day to get to work and is always always complaining about it, I lose track of how many times I hear "I was going to turn back at Euston".

Now she's even more vexed since we found out we are not moving our offices from croydon to London, and threatens to work from home more often.

I would feel some sympathy for her but she knew where the job was before she applied.

No she wasn't told we might be moving into London at the interview either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just pretend to fancy somebody who works there and lives in London, and use them as a cheap place to sleep.

Can probably get free breakfast too.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would never employ someone if I knew they were going to consider doing this sort of commute. You need to find an alternative.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a Travelodge, their are several in London, only £19 a night.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    My mate used to commute from Newcastle to London twice a week. He could have stayed down there but they paid the travel expenses and he used to bomb down and back in the early hours.

I guess he thought it was worth the double travel and being back home instead of staying over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have used Travelodge a lot the last year or so, never seen rooms that cheap in London, usually £38-£55 a night.

I know they do offers, but even then the deals dont show in London.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member

You'll do well to get that price on a regular basis.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's "great pay" then why not go by train? And/or stay in London for 2/3 nights?
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to do Swansea to London for 3 days.
    Drive up early at 5am on Monday, stay with a friend Mon and Tue, drive back home Wed after work, about 7pm.
    Not the best life, but there you go.
  • Diamond HeadDiamond Head Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can recommend the Brentford Travelodge.
    It masquerades under the 'Kew' or 'Kew Bridge' name, but it's good, has a car park (which you pay for) and is very near the M4.
    For the evenings, Kew Green is a short walk, you've got an ASK and a few pubs. Or get the 65 into Richmond, under 10 minutes and you've all you need there. It's very affluent.
    Or get the 267/237 into Chiswick. Again, there's all you need.

Where in London do you work?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bloke at work couldn't move to London, due to his oldest's school exams, and daily commuting wasn't an option as he lived in Yorkshire.

He rented a room from a private house two nights per week for about eight months. He paid something like £60 per week. The family lived in the house full time and apparently, his room consisted a bed, a TV and a small fridge. He had a copy of the front-door key. Quite trusting, that family. He could store his stuff in his room when he went home each week. Useful.

I can't remember how he found it, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was through 'wanted' postcards he put up in various newsagents around his targeted residential area, because he did the same thing for a second-hand bike. This was around six years ago.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:o How can it be that cheap? I thought the lowest was something like £29.