10,000BC CHANNEL 5 mon 2nd feb

Comments

• Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I did think they were "miraculously" going to find some lovely plump fish in their baskets ;-) - I was wrong.
    I was sort of hoping that if they hadn't had any real success there might have been a bit of moderate assistance, e.g. a small-ish one or two from a fisherman (not cap'n birdseye) but I hadn't expected such miniscule ones that could all fit into a sardine tin and call it 'spacious' even with the lid closed.

I think that muddy inlet probably isn't enticing enough for anything that might pass a reasonable definition of 'fish'.

As for nets and useful stuff, I think if they had been able to make a decent attempt at making nets then I wouldn't object to some outside assistance, certainly not for raw materials.
    It's another time-consuming task that should have been started in the first week, or at least as soon as they realised that food was so easily lost. But definitely lots more baskets to throw into the water, especially once they noticed that 2 crayfish ain't worth crap if you don't have 5 crayloaves to go with them :p
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caravanner wrote: »
    Hi, first post on this thread so hello to everyone.

I watched Monday's and last nights progs on catch up earlier and im not sure which days programme it was but, the 3 women were out foraging and the dark haired older lady said something along the lines of '...is it Monday? all the days seem the same, well except Saturdays...' What goes on on Saturdays does anybody know?

Football, obviously
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ;
    brillopad wrote: »
    II can't see them being allowed to fire a moderately sharp small stick at a large pig let alone there being any chance of a fatal wound...just an angry animal that would have to be shot by a ranger.
    But that's the whole subplot isn't it?

Can't walk in soft shoes, ooh splinters.
    Can't be around in the snow : Ooh falling branches!
    Can't shoot at animals : Ooh poor dears might hurt them/you/feelings.

It just turns into a show about folk undergoing drug and sugar/wheat withdrawal.
    (JP was definitely cold turkey for a couple of weeks)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts too. They could get into the water and drag it along the bottom, go to the crayfish instead of waiting for them to come to them.

Yes, you see the size of the basket they have in their hands, then you look across to see the width of the river, and obviously there's only a tiny chance of a fish swimming into the basket.

It's like holding a fishing net up in the air hoping a bird will fly into it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, I said that too. That's the only way they are going to be able to kill anything ie if it's trapped in an enclosed area. They should have been digging while they had sufficient rations of deer (and enough people to drive the animals towards the pit.)

If they dug a few pits, as knackering as that may be, and do the old spread some leaves and woodland stuff over the top to make it look like ground trick, then use some of the remains of the deer they had been given as bait, I bet they'd have caught a few biggish animals.

I want to see them try things like this, because I'm beginning to tire of them moaning now. Every episode is getting very samey.
  • fasbinder_62fasbinder_62 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    "What goes on on Saturdays does anybody know?"

good question, I speculate that's when they get emergency rations.
    I noticed the melissa the prop manager getting a bit snitty about jodie and josie, she seemed to have an endless array of speech-bites pertaining to them not doing their full share, starting to dislike her although she has been the only effective leader thus far.
  • fasbinder_62fasbinder_62 Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    why did it take them 30 days to pick up the bow and arrow?
    why don't they stake out the water hole?
    so many unanswered questions in this show, I'm enjoying it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think Paul is looking really ill? He's lost a massive amount of weight and I'm wondering if he's really got over his bout of pneumonia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did it take them 30 days to pick up the bow and arrow? .
    Anyone else noticed how their bows are multiplying?

They are still thinking incredibly 1st-world : using a valuable leather skin for target practice. Up my end we use twigs and wool to mark out the outline on a grassy knoll, leather is more useful for actually making stuff instead of shooting full of holes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else noticed how their bows are multiplying?

They are still thinking incredibly 1st-world : using a valuable leather skin for target practice. Up my end we use twigs and wool to mark out the outline on a grassy knoll, leather is more useful for actually making stuff instead of shooting full of holes.

I suppose it makes sense, because they'd need to know that the arrows and the distance and force of the shot would pierce the hide of an animal.

You say that up your end you use twigs and wool, but isn't that a 21st Century way of thinking?
    The way they're doing it I presume would enable them to know whether their arrows would pierce the hide of a boar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that up your end you use twigs and wool, but isn't that a 21st Century way of thinking?
    I think you'll find that 1963 was 20th century, not 21st :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find that 1963 was 20th century, not 21st :p

Okay clever clogs.:p:D

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay clever clogs.:p:D
    :)
    It's that phrase, never used anywhere else... just nipping out to mow the grassy knoll, it's a bit overgrown... (was that from a Jack Dee routine? seems familiar)

But for further cleverclogness we dip into the food mis-labelling scam - there's been a couple of mentions in the thread about making beef jerky which is a neat trick if your deer isn't a cow :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's that phrase, never used anywhere else... just nipping out to mow the grassy knoll, it's a bit overgrown... (was that from a Jack Dee routine? seems familiar)

But for further cleverclogness we dip into the food mis-labelling scam - there's been a couple of mentions in the thread about making beef jerky which is a neat trick if your deer isn't a cow :p

To be honest that completely passed me by. But you're right.
    Deer meat is called venison isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deer meat is called venison isn't it?
    I'd need to check the dictionary definition versus the chef definition versus the menu definition versus the supermarket definition as I suspect it might vary somewhat.

"Venison" to me suggests a degree of sophistication (or pretence thereof), so I think 'smoked venison' would be overstating it somewhat! A bit like the difference between 'pig meat' and 'pork' as per the sausages-on-a-stick as purveyed by Mr Dibbler's mobile products-for-eating enterprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it makes sense, because they'd need to know that the arrows and the distance and force of the shot would pierce the hide of an animal....
    The way they're doing it I presume would enable them to know whether their arrows would pierce the hide of a boar.
    No, not at all.
    Shooting JP would be a much more protfitable "proof test" and up the entertainment tenfold!

Are they on again tomorrow night?
    Haven't they died yet?
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fiagomez wrote: »
    i think tomorrow and tuesday are the last 2 nights of it....

i've enjoyed it but not sure i can take much more of it as last weeks was just so depressing!!

On my programme guide it isn't mentioned on Tuesday. Tonight is episode 9 of 10, then nothing.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused as well. As I thought there were ten episodes and that they were on today and tomorrow but there's nothing on tomorrow. Does anyone know if tonight's is the last episode or if it isn't then when the last one is?
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there should be one tonight & one tomoorow night then thats it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and that's why we're confused because there is no episode tomorrow night on our tv planners ;-)

i'll check my freesat box
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    i'll check my freesat box

just checked my freesat box & indeed everyones right tonight could be the last one. time to give channel 5 a buzz for more information
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emails wrote: »
    just checked my freesat box & indeed everyones right tonight could be the last one. time to give channel 5 a buzz for more information

just rang channel 5 & indeed they just comfirmed that ep 10 on tuesday will not get broadcast,its been replaced. HOWEVER for those wishing to see the last ep of 10,000 bc will need to tune in NEXT monday to to watch. happy days:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow!! thanks so much for finding that out- you are awesome!! :)

your very welcome ,glad to help:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deer meat is definitely venison....
    I would say "in some cases" :p though venison is definitely deer meat.

Unless, as a contributor to Private Eye informs us, you are a celebrity contestant on The Chase, in which case the answer to the question "Venison is the meat from what animal?" is apparently "Baby horse".

@emails: ta for checking, that had been my suspicion but better to get confirmation!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shooting JP would be a much more protfitable "proof test" and up the entertainment tenfold!
    True, though there would be no mystery so an entire who-shot-him storyline is not even an option, and while I can get the tippex to 'make' some "I shot JP" t-shirts from the heap of dust-covered leftovers still at the back of the warehouse, I'm not sure they would sell in quite the same volumes as the unadjusted versions.

And the lyrics for the song would have to have a rewrite. I need something that rhymes with 'P' that I could hang the sign on the back of.