Using iPhone Abroad With 3 - How?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a iphone and I'm on a pay monthly contract with 3. I'm going to Gran Canaria tomorrow. I thought that I could just use my allowance abroad and would be charged nothing extra. I'm sure I recently saw adverts were 3 were saying they're the only network that allows this. However, I've just checked on their website and it seems they do something called 'Feel At home' which lets you do what I want, but where I'm going on holiday isn't one of the places where they do it. Just wondering what my options are?

Comments

• rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Master Ozzy, Spain is set to be a feel at home country (where you can use your existing allowances at no extra cost) but from the 1st of April, until then you will have to pay the standard EU rate for calls and text messages, however as you stated your on pay monthly you do have the option to buy a daily 'Euro Internet Pass' for £5, this gives you unlimited roaming data for 1 day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as roaming is enabled on your account (you can check online or by calling 333, and you can activate it without having to speak to anyone), this is what will happen when you arrive in Spain.

You'll get a text from Three advising you of the local rates and offering the Euro Pass for £5 a day for unlimited data.

To activate the Euro Pass, you will need to switch on data roaming and then tap the link in the text message. (Be warned that once you switch on data roaming, you should press the link and start the Euro Pass immediately. If any notifications come through or you use data after you've switched data roaming on but before you've activated the Euro Pass, you'll be charged the standard data rate. This is a bit frustrating because with an iPhone, it isn't easy to disable all notifications.)

If I remember rightly, I found that once I'd bought the Euro Pass, I had to toggle data roaming off and back on for it to work, for some reason.

When the Euro Pass runs out, I *think* you're prompted to get a new one and can't just start building up a huge data bill.
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Word of warning, there is something like a £40 limit on your account as default.
    After 8 days i couldn't get the Europass as i'd exceeded my limit.
    Not only that i then could text or call or nowt.
    Twitter team were very good and i got my allowance uped to £80
    So if you need the Europass for more than 8 days then increase your allowance before you leave the uk.

Hope that helps