"Impossible" by James Arthur already #1 on iTunes UK and Ireland

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    ESTK wrote: »
    But can someone explain me why winner's single is a remake (poor, btw) of an old song and not original?

I think (barring Shayne's year) it's always been a cover. Not sure why, maybe so that people are familiar with, so they don't need to write a few different ones for each finalist (incase like Jahmene and James, they're very different). That's just my take on it tbh
    Fifth Harmony made a comeback for this song, but now he does another version? It sucks.

This is magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7xyM8FfyUI
    What do you mean by Fifth Harmony made a comeback for it then James does his version?
    James sang it on the show before FH.
  • Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will.i.am and Britney will climb to no.1 this week or next. By looking at Digitalsalesdata.com
  • ESTKESTK Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think (barring Shayne's year) it's always been a cover. Not sure why, maybe so that people are familiar with, so they don't need to write a few different ones for each finalist (incase like Jahmene and James, they're very different). That's just my take on it tbh

What do you mean by Fifth Harmony made a comeback for it then James does his version?
    James sang it on the show before FH.

So it mostly covers for them all you say. Well, it sucks. But I swear I remember winners singing original songs at the finale. I guess it was just American Idol.

And 5th Harmony sang Impossible 2.5 months ago, when did Arthur?
    Forum Member
    So it mostly covers for them all you say. Well, it sucks. But I swear I remember winners singing original songs at the finale. I guess it was just American Idol.

And 5th Harmony sang Impossible 2.5 months ago, when did Arthur?

I'm positive it was all covers, might have to check wikipedia to be sure.
    Edit: I just checked and it was definitely just Shayne's year.

Ah I thought you meant sang it on the live shows, If they sang it before, fair enough. :)as I didnt watch that much of the US one, i might have misunderstood your post which is why I was asking what you meant. I doubt the two are linked though.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love James's song , glad for him.
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might go back to #1 come Sunday! Check the latest iTunes chart:

1 James Arthur Impossible 1.000
    2 will.i.am Scream & Shout (feat. Britney Spears) 0.625
  • HermanazoHermanazo Posts: 2,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gap is widening! If there are no major releases next week, he could spent a third week at the top...

As of 27 Dec 2 pm:
    1 James Arthur Impossible 1.0000
    2 Rihanna Diamonds 0.5625
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Gap is widening! If there are no major releases next week, he could spent a third week at the top...

As of 27 Dec 2 pm:
    1 James Arthur Impossible 1.0000
    2 Rihanna Diamonds 0.5625

He's definitely got the #1 single of the year covered.:)
  • unicornsunicorns Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Yay! this is great news! Thanks for the update guys :)
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,767
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    He's definitely got the #1 single of the year covered.:)

No he doesn't.:confused:

That's going to Gotye.. hd'll be lucky to be in the top 4 of the year.

Chart of 2012 so far
    1 - 1 - 1,307,100 - Gotye ft Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know - 1,313,700 - 14/01/12 - 1
    2 - 2 - 1,120,500 - Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe - 1,120,500 - 03/03/12 - 1
    3 - 3 - 973,900 - Fun ft Janelle Monae - We Are Young - 976,000 - 21/04/12 - 1
    4 - 4 - 913,300 - David Guetta ft Sia - Titanium - 965,600 - 20/08/11 - 1
    5 - 5 - 851,300 - Nicki Minaj - Starships - 851,300 - 25/02/12 - 2
    6 - 7 - 765,700 - Psy - Gangnam Style - 765,700 - 01/09/12 - 1
    7 - 6 - 737,500 - Jessie J - Domino - 767,000 - 26/11/11 - 1
    8 - 21 - 723,300 - James Arthur - Impossible - 723,300 - 22/12/12 - 1
    9 - 8 - 710,400 - Maroon 5 ft Wiz Khalifa - Payphone - 710,400 - 30/06/12 - 1
    10 - 9 - 686,900 - Flo Rida ft Sia - Wild Ones - 685,800 - 04/02/12 - 4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InMyArms wrote: »

Chart of 2012 so far

I meant 1st #1 single of 2013.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    125K so far this week....:eek:
    After losing out on the Official 2012 Christmas Number 1 to The Justice Collective’s cover of He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother, James Arthur’s Impossible looks set to return to the top of the Official Singles Chart on Sunday, with nearly 125,000 copies of the 2012 X Factor winner’s single being purchased so far this week.

To date, Impossible has sold over 838,000 copies, making it the fifth biggest selling X Factor debut of all time. Indeed, in just under three weeks Arthur’s track has eclipsed the all-time sales of Joe McElderry’s The Climb, One Direction’s What Makes You Beautiful, JLS’ Beat Again, Little Mix’s Cannonball and Olly Murs’ Please Don’t Let Me Go.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/james-arthur-to-return-to-number-1-on-sunday-1777/
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    *Liya* wrote: »

Will definitely become a million-seller in the first week of 2013. Huge success.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    InMyArms wrote: »

Chart of 2012 so far

That list makes me want to cry for our music industry.
    Forum Member
    I'm not good at all this facts and figures stuff but He's sold more than What Makes You Beautiful? Jeeeez, :eek: To out sell that is some feat given how big that song was.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I've give you Cannonball but Beat Again and WMYB were huge, to outsell them so fast is amazing :eek:
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I've give you Cannonball but Beat Again and WMYB were huge, to outsell them so fast is amazing :eek:

Beat Again wasn't that huge, it's expected for a winner's single to do well so I'll start singing praise when his own music goes double platinum. Will be interesting to see if Liya is still a fan of James next year if his debut single underachieves expectations :)
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    Beat Again wasn't that huge, it's expected for a winner's single to do well so I'll start singing praise when his own music goes double platinum. Will be interesting to see if Liya is still a fan of James next year if his debut single underachieves expectations :)

You seem quite bothered, my dear....what's wrong?..:)
    Forum Member
    *Liya* wrote: »
    You seem quite bothered, my dear....what's wrong?..:)

Nothing...dear :) Just a nice little mention of your behaviour that I've noticed. ;)

It'll be interesting to see if James lives up to everyone's expectations. If not...well, we know what happens. :o
    Forum Member
    Nothing...dear :) Just a nice little mention of your behaviour that I've noticed. ;)

And that would be??...
    Forum Member

Huh? Why does it matter if Liya in particular is still a fan of James when he releases his own stuff?

If it is similar to the songs he's performed before then I'm sure James fans will like it regardless.
    Forum Member
    Huh? Why does it matter if Liya in particular is still a fan of James when he releases his own stuff?

If it is similar to the songs he's performed before then I'm sure James fans will like it regardless.

Lol the point I was trying to make is that Liya has this habit of just jumping on a bandwagon when the artist is at its peak, successful and everything but when it gets tough she disappears. :)

But anyway moving on... IMO James is the best male winner we've had to date, and as long as he releases the same type of music he was doing on the show if not then better he will have a very successful career.
    Forum Member
    Lol the point I was trying to make is that Liya has this habit of just jumping on a bandwagon when the artist is at its peak, successful and everything but when it gets tough she disappears. :)

I shall stop by the AB appreciation thread more often if you miss me that much :).....just to prove i'm a still a fan etc....:despite there being zero info from the artist herself that's worth discussing....rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he appeals to quite a wide demographic, he has both young and older fans, which helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James has a 20% lead at the moment. Could sell 1 million copies in the next two weeks.:D:cool: