Voting Leak - Daily Star

13»

Comments

• Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Fair enough but the same could be said of viewers who want to see as many performances as possible from Johnson.

I can see why he's popular. He's incredibly endearing and I think he and his partner are cute together on the ice.

Can't agree - I find his performances as dull as ditchwater, but even Jason won't make derogatory remarks because Johnson's a hero. I don't mind him getting through over people like Dominic, but when better people start to leave, then it gets annoying.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't agree - I find his performances as dull as ditchwater, but even Jason won't make derogatory remarks because Johnson's a hero. I don't mind him getting through over people like Dominic, but when better people start to leave, then it gets annoying.

But Jason has been critical about the way Johnson presents himself and his partner. He said his routine was all on one level last weekend. So he's not afraid of being negative.

Fair enough you find Johnson's routines dull, but it's all subjective isn't it? I look forward to and enjoy his performances (although not enough to vote) and so must others.
  • Options
    GillianGGillianG Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    but when better people start to leave, then it gets annoying.

I agree with you in principle, but that hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the voting leak is true, it doesn't mean that he's going to continue to top the votes, and I don't believe the other contestants will be outraged by it, unless they are stupid.

History shows that DOI voters are pretty good at voting for the good skaters as the competition progresses. There will be some who stay longer than they strictly ought to based on skating ability alone, but most of the rubbish ones go soon enough.

The really good skaters are likely to suffer from a lack of votes at this stage of the competition, because there will always be a presumption they are safe, and don't need the support.

As it is, Johnson is skating pretty well, showing good improvement, and a great attitude. He's better than several others who are still there, and people who like him might be concerned that his lack of celebrity might make him vulnerable and make the effort to vote. I don't think there is any reason to presume he's getting votes out of sympathy. He's not coming across as someone needing sympathy. Admiration perhaps, but not sympathy.

If anyone is getting sympathy votes it'll be Kerry. She's rubbish as skating, and is all woe is me in her VTs and the press.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Even if the voting leak is true, it doesn't mean that he's going to continue to top the votes, and I don't believe the other contestants will be outraged by it, unless they are stupid.

History shows that DOI voters are pretty good at voting for the good skaters as the competition progresses. There will be some who stay longer than they strictly ought to based on skating ability alone, but most of the rubbish ones go soon enough.

The really good skaters are likely to suffer from a lack of votes at this stage of the competition, because there will always be a presumption they are safe, and don't need the support.

As it is, Johnson is skating pretty well, showing good improvement, and a great attitude. He's better than several others who are still there, and people who like him might be concerned that his lack of celebrity might make him vulnerable and make the effort to vote. I don't think there is any reason to presume he's getting votes out of sympathy. He's not coming across as someone needing sympathy. Admiration perhaps, but not sympathy.

If anyone is getting sympathy votes it'll be Kerry. She's rubbish as skating, and is all woe is me in her VTs and the press

I agree with all you've said. Yes, Kerry, oh she turned herself around, but only for the time being. The GBP see that and that is why Johnson is popular. He tries and succeeds, OK not as well as Sam, but IMO the guy has a good attitude. I don't think he is riding on back of his injuries.
  • Options
    Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the article were true, don't you think the bookies odds would reflect this - after all their odds are based on the bets placed, coupled with no little amount of inside knowledge.

ODDSCHECKER BEST ODDS

Sam Attwater 4/7
    Laura Hamilton 5
    Chloe Madeley 12
    Vanilla Ice 12
    Jennifer Metcalfe 20
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »
    If the article were true, don't you think the bookies odds would reflect this - after all their odds are based on the bets placed, coupled with no little amount of inside knowledge.

ODDSCHECKER BEST ODDS

Sam Attwater 4/7
    Laura Hamilton 5
    Chloe Madeley 12
    Vanilla Ice 12
    Jennifer Metcalfe 20

The odds are to win. The bookies aren't daft, they know how reality shows work by now. Even if he's topping the votes now it's highly unlikely he will win unless he improves dramatically.
  • Options
    River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »

ODDSCHECKER BEST ODDS

Sam Attwater 4/7
    Laura Hamilton 5
    Chloe Madeley 12
    Vanilla Ice 12
    Jennifer Metcalfe 20

He was 66/1 yesterday morning. He's now top price 20/1 and 14/1 with many bookies.

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/dancing-on-ice/winner

There were plenty of bets placed on him yesterday, including some from me :D

As for bookies having inside knowledge, That's very rare. On the whole the bookies are terrible at pricing up these shows and just follow the knowledgeable punters money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She actually had no problem with dogs, the dogs deserted her in the VT they shot because she had unwisely given them all their treats in an earlier take ....and they gave her a vote losing song on top to make sure.......There was no reason from who was coming bottom in other weeks to think that the Star leak was wrong. The DOI equivalent is the move you can't do to the music no one likes, with the VT of you shouting at T and D, or storming off the ice and sulking.

You would expect a large element of the DOI audience to be impressed with a VC regardless of how poorly its owner skates.

Yep, Cowell could learn some lessons from the way ALW eased Jenny out of Over the Rainbow.
    It was some of the worst manipulation I've ever seen on one of these shows.

I also agree that the DOI audience is likely to be impressed by Johnsons bravery, unlike the more cynical C4 audience who didn't get behind Steve in the last BB,
  • Options
    CuteFoeHammerCuteFoeHammer Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I'd vote for him out of admiration not sympathy then I'd stop voting for him if one I liked who actually skated better went home, I think he will be in the top 6 then leave.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    River Man wrote: »
    He was 66/1 yesterday morning. He's now top price 20/1 and 14/1 with many bookies.

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/tv/dancing-on-ice/winner

There were plenty of bets placed on him yesterday, including some from me :D

As for bookies having inside knowledge, That's very rare. On the whole the bookies are terrible at pricing up these shows and just follow the knowledgeable punters money.

Yep i put a bet on him at 67/1 :D I was considering putting another for 'Top Male' at 25/1 but didnt do it in time :(. I still dont think he will actually win but maybe get very far- possibly top 3. He's odds have crashed right down 12/1 for some bookies now.

Shame sort of thing has happened in the past- Jedward were reported to be topping the vote and went from about 80/1 to 10/1 in about a day.
  • Options
    WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    This is the same paper that said that Jedward and Wagner were topping the votes every week on X-Factor and that was a load of made up tosh too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the same paper that said that Jedward and Wagner were topping the votes every week on X-Factor and that was a load of made up tosh too.

That was The Sun.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River Man wrote: »
    It's all very disappointing for us fans of the Ice Man though.

Rather like my favourite last year, Daniella, it seems he's struggling to appeal to a sunday night ITV audience.
    They're even more conservative than the SCD one it seems.

VOTE VANILLA EVERYONE - PLEEEAAAASSEEE!!