Django Unchained

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This argument has been going on since Reservoir Dogs and guess what? No one gives a shit. He makes damn good films and if he does rip and idea off, he only betters it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best films I have ever seen. :)
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly thought it was incredibly good. I'm not a superfan of Tarantino either.

I'm not sure why people get so agitated by the man to be honest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's a damn good filmmaker and he has had success at that.
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Because he's a damn good filmmaker and he has had success at that.

I guess so, people do tend to resent success.

I find it incredible that he resents violence and drug taking, considering his films are full of it. Unless that's just an urban myth and he never said it.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fabulous film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I think it's something of a return to form for Tarantino. I was disappointed with Basterds, didn't rate the grindhouse films and thought Kill Bill 2 dragged a fair bit. Django was filled with memorable scenes and quotable lines. Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio all were great but Jackson's reaction to Django riding up on a horse was a real standout moment for me.

I thought Django was an incredible disappointment but I loved Samuel L Jackson's performance. I'd started snoozing before he arrived.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use the word uneven, maybe the pacing/editing was a bit off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When an almost 3 hour film goes by so quickly that you don't have to check your watch once you know it's good.

I expected it to be good, but not that good. :)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first two hours, then it lost me in the final act, pretty much as soon as two major characters were gone I stopped caring.

I'd love QT to make a film with a score, rather than a soundtrack CD, the hip-hop moments (and I'm a massive fan of the genre) brought me right out of the film.
  • packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best film for many a year that I Have seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be released on blu-ray and DVD in UK on June 3rd.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When an almost 3 hour film goes by so quickly that you don't have to check your watch once you know it's good.
    That's my philosophy too.

I saw Les Misérables the day before Django Unchained. With Les Mis I was checking my watch every few minutes, with Django I couldn't believe it was over so fast.

Great to see it get a couple of BAFTAs - Christoph Waltz was superb.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    Great to see it get a couple of BAFTAs - Christoph Waltz was superb.

I was really pleased to see Waltz win in what was probably the most competitive category. Tommy Lee Jones has been favourite for the oscar all awards season, but Waltz seems to be coming up on the rails...and good as TLJ is, Waltz does give a much more engaging performance of the two.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Dicaprio stole the entire film for me, and I thought the last act was boring after the major scene shootout in Calvins house.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it that much i went to see it again the next week :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leonardo was at his finest I thought. Didn't think he stole the move, for me Don Johnson, Christoph Waltz and Sam Jackson were equally brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Saw it last and thoroughly enjoyed it. Classic Tarantino throughout.

Thank god there are directors around like Tarantino that push the boundaries and give us something a little different to the norm. Those that churn out the old cliched comments 'overrated, unoriginal etc' are probably better served by the usual generic hollywood rubbish that clogs up our screens. Maybe go see Die Hard 5 instead to see what's really wrong with cinema before complaining about QT's output.

Accepted that he does borrow ideas from other films and genres but he clearly is a guy that loves movies and makes his films with that passion. Also he makes the films HIS way and won't be swayed by stupid studio execs who are worried about upsetting people or maximising profits. For that we should be grateful.

He is not a god and his films are not perfect but you got to give him credit where it's due - he can direct and writes great dialogue.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    jalal wrote: »
    Dicaprio stole the entire film for me, and I thought the last act was boring after the major scene shootout in Calvins house.

He was undoubtedly excellent, as were Waltz and Jackson. Right up until the last half hour, I thought Taratino had returned to form and produced a film to rival the genius of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Then we had the last half hour, which not only contained an execrable cameo from Tarantino himself but a tedious, predictable cartoon sequence that almost ruined the preceding 2 hours. Someone mentioned that Tarantino pushes the boundaries and ignores studio execs but the ending of Django is pure Hollywood morality. Frankly I expected something more original and less politically correct.

The soundtrack was mostly excellent and Tarantino expertly handled the spaghetti western tropes. I feel that these days, he writes brilliant individual scenes but struggles to string them together to make a coherent film.

It was OK but could have been so much better.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it - glued to the screen, hopelessly engaged, all the tropes of my own youth sweet to me and resonance.

Hilarious violence, except when it matterd.

Wonderful, wonderful film.

I sometimes think though, that I enjoy QUENTIN so much because I'm a similar age - and was obsessed by the same damned things - Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, the Western, the War film, the gangster movie, the Blaxploitation crime stuff.

My childhood obsessions feel like his so I relate massively.

I'm waiting for his bloody and violent, but oddly in character for the times - SPACE movie.

Bet those buggers got it wrapped up tight though.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Leonardo was at his finest I thought. Didn't think he stole the move, for me Don Johnson, Christoph Waltz and Sam Jackson were equally brilliant.

Don Johnson is always quality , but I'm biased
    An under rated & under used actor
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I watched this on DVD a few days ago. I've seen it twice now and am convinced that QT really cocked up the ending. I notice some other people on here have said the same thing. Why couldn't he have found a way to end the film at Candieland during the first shoot-out??? It seemed bizarre that there's then an additional 25-odd minutes before a second, rather underwhelming shoot-out when Django returns. The loss of the two main characters left a massive hole in the script that Django on his own couldn't fill. And that corny stuff on the horse at the end...I could've done without it.

It's my one big stumbling block with the film. The conclusion failed (QT's cameo was annoying and silly but it didn't unduly detract and the problem was bigger than just his cameo).

That said and I thought 'Django Unchained' was absolutely glorious. Parts of it are shockingly beautiful. QT's mastery of style and surface brilliance is truly a wonder to behold. He gets so much praise for his dialogue that I think his sheer talent as a film-maker is perhaps overshadowed a little. My favourite scene, the three minute procession to the Candieland plantation, had almost no words whatsoever. It was pure cinema. Composition, character, acting, editing, it all told us everything we needed to know with barely a word spoken, for three whole minutes in the middle of a dialogue-heavy film. Outrageous stuff from QT.

It's one of the richest films I've seen for a long while. Despite what some people have said I don't think a simplistic reading of the film works at all. It is FULL of contradictions. Is it a straight-forward revenge thriller? A pastiche on the Spaghetti Western? A historical depiction of the slave trade? A bizarre fantasy cooked up in the furnace of QT's mind? Is it racist? Is it anti-white? Does it glorify violence? Is it sexist? Does it privilege masculinity at the expense of women? Was it homophobic? Was Calvin Candie supposed to be gay? Was it a white man's film made for a white audience?, etc. etc.

Samuel Jackon's performance was amazing as was Leonardo DiCaprio's. Chris Waltz's character was, for me, a little too much like his character in 'Inglourious Basterds' (which I also loved) and I would've given the Oscar to either Jackson or DiCaprio. Amazing soundtrack (although the rap stuff during the first shoot-out struck a duff note, IMO).

And Jamie Foxx looked HOT in his cowboy gear!

I know QT has talked about the possibility of releasing another cut at some point. I hope he does.

9/10 (if not for the stutter at the end I would've given it 10)
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Tia77 wrote: »
    I saw this film last night and really enjoyed it. Like others have said the 2hr 45m flew by.

Same here, great movie.
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Tarantino fan but I would probably rate this as his worst movie after Death Proof due to the fact the film completely falls apart the moment
    Dicaprio and Waltz exit the movie
  • peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The soundtrack is the best I've ever heard.