Options

How can get spell check on my DS posts?

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
I am running Firefox and spell check works on other sites but not DS.

Comments

• Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use chrome, spelling checking works just fine on this site and every other site that I have visited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spell check worked with Firefox before I changed my browser to Chrome. I changed back to Firefox because of all the ads on chrome. I didn't like the "Big Brother" feel of Chrome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    doesn't it underline the wrong spelling in red, then gives you the correct spelling up above it, just click the first one
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I run FF and spell check works with me:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it doesn't work at all. It underlines my spelling on other sites and my emails but not DS.. Heere is a fr instance. See? No corrections.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet Explorer spell checks on here fine. However that is only as long as it is set correctly.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Try uninstalling the add on and re installing it or possibly try a different spell checker.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spell chuck is werking fein with Firfocks hear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »

You could create your posts in word, copy and paste after spell checking - my spell check seems to work in DS (I also have Grammarly (no such word but a brilliant spellchecker www.grammarly.com
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FF Tools/Options/Advanced/Check my spelling as I type?

Deactivating seems to work immediately, re-activating: close then re-open DS thread tab.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about Firefox or what spelling checker you are using; however...

Click on Quote in the post you are replying to.

This brings up the reply box in which you type your reply.

In the top righthand corner of that reply box you will see the letters ABC together with a tick symbol.

This is the icon for the DS spelling checker. Just click and go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finglonga wrote: »
    Spell chuck is werking fein with Firfocks hear.

Funny:D:D:D

I've never used a spell checker:blush:
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Mine is working fine and others have said theirs is working, so this would indicate it is a problem with your speel cheqker, burton07.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, mine works on Firefox too. It sometimes slips into American mode, but I just change it back. :)
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    oulandy wrote: »
    I don't know about Firefox or what spelling checker you are using; however...

Click on Quote in the post you are replying to.

This brings up the reply box in which you type your reply.

In the top right hand corner of that reply box you will see the letters ABC together with a tick symbol.

This is the icon for the DS spelling checker. Just click and go.

My firefox spell checker works ok but not the DS one. I can't find it. :confused: I don't have any ABC symbol with a tick in the top right hand corner of my reply box.:confused: The decrease/increase size arrows are in my right hand top corner. It must be something to do with my DS settings but I've been looking through my settings and am baffled as to why the spell check symbol is not showing in my reply box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »
    My firefox spell checker works ok but not the DS one. I can't find it. :confused: I don't have any ABC symbol with a tick in the top right hand corner of my reply box.:confused: The decrease/increase size arrows are in my right hand top corner. It must be something to do with my DS settings but I've been looking through my settings and am baffled as to why the spell check symbol is not showing in my reply box.

Exactly same here.

I am on Wysiwyg reply interface, but have tried the other two, and the Mobile site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disnae wrote: »

The ABC letters are very small and not very easy to see! The tick symbol is a bit more visible. It's above the word Smilies. Do you have the arrows which allow you to increase or decrease the size of the reply box? They are in the top righhand corner of the dark grey, to the right of the ABC and tick symbol.

Edit: I've just noticed you said you have the arrows.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ABC letters are very small and not very easy to see! The tick symbol is a bit more visible. It's above the word Smilies. Do you have the arrows which allow you to increase or decrease the size of the reply box? They are in the top righhand corner of the dark grey, to the right of the ABC and tick symbol.

No ABC icon here. Nothing above the smilies apart from the increase/decrease size arrows.

I wonder therefore if it's a function of some add on you have in your browser that the rest of us are not using? Can't say I have ever seen a "DS spell checker" in all the time I've been lurking here.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks but I have checked again and there is nothing there above the word smilies. I have enlarged the page in case it's my bad eye sight but no luck. I just don't seem to have the spell check feature.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly same here.

I am on Wysiwyg reply interface, but have tried the other two, and the Mobile site.
    I have tried all the different interfaces also and it makes no difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    No ABC icon here. Nothing above the smilies apart from the increase/decrease size arrows.

I wonder therefore if it's a function of some add on you have in your browser that the rest of us are not using? Can't say I have ever seen a "DS spell checker" in all the time I've been lurking here.

I don't know about that. I am using IE. The ABC has been there for donkeys' years.

I've just tried using Firefox and the ABC and tick isn't there! The arrows are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about that. I am using IE. The ABC has been there for donkeys' years.

I've just tried using Firefox and the ABC and tick isn't there! The arrows are.
    Just fired up IE11 and still no ABC icon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't work at all. It underlines my spelling on other sites and my emails but not DS.. Heere is a fr instance. See? No corrections.
    One thing I have noticed is the red underlining can vanish randomly. Usually if there are two or more words underlined, correct one and the other(s) lose the underlining. And right clicking on a word previously underlined does not throw up any corrections.

However if I right click in the text box and deselect Check Spelling in the pop up menu then right click again and reselect it the underlining returns. Wonder if that's worth trying?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Just fired up IE11 and still no ABC icon.

I almost never use IE, but I have IE10 (don't want IE11), and the ABC Tick (Check Spelling) and Switch Editor buttons are correctly displayed, immediately to left and right of Increase and decrease size buttons.

However, none of the buttons work (from Bold Italic Underline to smilies)

Starting Firefox in Safe Mode (all add-ons disabled) does not allow Check Spelling or Switch Editor buttons to be displayed.

(FF 25.01 and now FF v28.0 are the same)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have IE9.