When continuity announcers should just keep quiet!

Comments

• Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnQuig wrote: »
    As a director myself I love nothing more than my work being appreciated. However, as I've said countless, countless times, we know what we're getting into, we know the credits are going to be talked over. That's why emotional scenes aren't usually right before the credits.

But hey ho, continue to get your knickers in a twist when an actual person who works in the industry is telling you the truth.

Good day at college today?

You are a full time student who by the looks of things had a work placement with the BBC as part of your course.
  • sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a director myself I love nothing more than my work being appreciated. However, as I've said countless, countless times, we know what we're getting into, we know the credits are going to be talked over. That's why emotional scenes aren't usually right before the credits.

But hey ho, continue to get your knickers in a twist when an actual person who works in the industry is telling you the truth.

How many movies have you directed that have appeared on Sky Movies?

How many HBO productions have you directed?

Out of interest...

Because thanks to the fact I watch very little on British TV I get to see the credits and I don't recall seeing your name on any movie that has run on Sky Movies or any HBO production.

Oh, and as I said in my first post, The Newsroom's final episode (as just one example) had a very emotional final scene with the score running into the credits - so goes to show what you know, being in the industry looking down on us minions who really couldn't know any better than you.

And, finally FYI I don't wear knickers - much less get them into a twist.
  • JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Good day at college today?

You are a full time student who by the looks of things had a work placement with the BBC as part of your course.

I go to university 2 days a week. In 2012 I gained a job at the BBC writing for the radio and eventually I made promos for CBBC as a trainee. I've made several films, two of which were released in cinemas. My age is not your concern, but I can guarantee you I've got a lot more experience than you think.

The only reason I left the BBC is because they were scaling down at the Kid's Department and I wanted to focus on my studies, not that it's any of your business.
    Forum Member
    sat-ire wrote: »
    How many movies have you directed that have appeared on Sky Movies?

How many HBO productions have you directed?

Out of interest...

Because thanks to the fact I watch very little on British TV I get to see the credits and I don't recall seeing your name on any movie that has run on Sky Movies or any HBO production.

Oh, and as I said in my first post, The Newsroom's final episode (as just one example) had a very emotional final scene with the score running into the credits - so goes to show what you know, being in the industry looking down on us minions who really couldn't know any better than you.

And, finally FYI I don't wear knickers - much less get them into a twist.

I have actually worked as a Production Assistant on movies that have played on Sky Movies, but that's beside the point. I agree with you about The Newsroom, but the creators created it for HBO, which has none of the stuff we have over here. They should have stipulated when selling it that they didn't want credits pushback for that episode (you can do that.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Yes, those silly directors taking their art so seriously.

And us silly viewers wanting to appreciate said art.

:confused:

If we can assume that there's nobody out there whose movie-watching would "ridiculously seriously" be ruined by not hearing for the umpteenth time about movies available in the Sky Store wouldn't it make sense for them to stop interrupting movies (and other programmes) because of the (potential) subscribers that they are "ridiculously seriously" annoying by doing it?

I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things it's a 5 second grumble and move on, it doesn't require massively aggrevated forum posts.

I'd give you longer for Sky Movies, because it's a subscription service and they should be treating their customers with more respect.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go to university 2 days a week. In 2012 I gained a job at the BBC writing for the radio and eventually I made promos for CBBC as a trainee. I've made several films, two of which were released in cinemas. My age is not your concern, but I can guarantee you I've got a lot more experience than you think.

The only reason I left the BBC is because they were scaling down at the Kid's Department and I wanted to focus on my studies, not that it's any of your business.

Well it is my business if you keep trying to win an argument by telling us you work in the industry. These days you can get a degree in beefburgers from McDonalds- so I'm not sure what you will end up with at the end of your course. A degree in something or other?

The depressing thing is your tutor telling you not to have a sad ending because announcers will talk over the top, breaking the mood.

You should be strong enough to say 'If I want a sad ending that will tear at the heartstrings I will'.

Just because 5-10% of people will turn over if an announcer starts yapping shouldn't mean everyone else has to suffer.

Mind you this 'We know best' attitude does seem to be prevalent in tv continuity, so I can see why they would want to indoctrinate all aspiring directors at an early age.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're moaning about Ofcom not having a go at the Simpsons being edited? How much power do you want them to have? Sure you might not like the Simpsons edits, but it's necessary if they're going to be on TV at 6pm.

It's not about that. It's the fact that clips which were shown uncut in the daytime before, are now being over-censored for little tiny things, but to the point where scenes aren't making any sense. They revoked one piece of censorship because the Guardian showed them up about it, yet the same word was cut from a different episode and they don't see the disconnect there. Here's the thread if you care to peruse it:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1083071
    "ALI" on Sky Movies

Hugely dramatic ending with Ali prevailing over Foreman....

Oh, bloody hell, Barry. SPOILERS!!!! ;););)
    I'm astonished that anyone in the industry could defend this, let alone not be embarrassed by it.

Indeed. Film directors, whose opinion I value, hate the interruptions, yet a 3rd year student, and some other guy on here with unsubstantiated claims about working in broadcasting, are totally non-caring about it. Don't buy it for a moment. I wouldn't like to see their slap-dash productions on this basis.
    On occasion, yes.

Routine programmes like Pointless, Eastenders, not particularly.

But most posters on this thread are making the point that if a director has set up a particularly sad ending then the whole thing is ruined by some cheeky chappy or chapess chiming in with a whole load of verbal diarrhoea.

^^This! When an effort has clearly been made, or a programme needs some space at the end, leave it the hell alone!

One example of the latter was Line of Duty. You needed to catch your breath after each episode! Didn't get a chance with those utter gimps who waffle over it about nothing.

Also, every single day, Doctors' end credits are talked over. One day, something different happened. Didn't stop those chuntering morons. Luckily, I was able to restore it with the Iplayer audio:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzvDvlc-Fcc
    I have actually worked as a Production Assistant on movies that have played on Sky Movies, but that's beside the point. I agree with you about The Newsroom, but the creators created it for HBO, which has none of the stuff we have over here. They should have stipulated when selling it that they didn't want credits pushback for that episode (you can do that.)

Yet the BBC stipulate your credits should be talk-over-able. Only on the odd occasion are they allowed not to and that has to go through the bigwigs for clearance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky Atlantic sells itself as the Home of HBO.

And the makers shouldn't have to stipulate anything, common sense should really apply.

Or are you telling me that they stipulated they didn't want credits pushback as you call it for many European countries (where I've seen said episode play untouched) but overlooked the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things it's a 5 second grumble and move on, it doesn't require massively aggrevated forum posts.

I'd give you longer for Sky Movies, because it's a subscription service and they should be treating their customers with more respect.

I always wonder about people that jump into threads to tell people that are obviously concerned enough to post about an issue that they shouldn't be concerned about that issue :D

In your mind it might only warrant a 5 second grumble but that's obviously not the case for others.

Should you not start your own thread about such threads?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The depressing thing is your tutor telling you not to have a sad ending because announcers will talk over the top, breaking the mood.

I overlooked that in his response to me earlier but I thought about it afterwards.

Holy s**t if voiceovers and credit squishing is making directors rethink how they write their product shouldn't we all be getting very angry about it?

Except, as I said, that isn't really the case is it. I'm not sure who this guy is but he doesn't really seem to care about the integrity of his own work,
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »

Indeed. Film directors, whose opinion I value, hate the interruptions, yet a 3rd year student, and some other guy on here with unsubstantiated claims about working in broadcasting, are totally non-caring about it. Don't buy it for a moment. I wouldn't like to see their slap-dash productions on this basis.

A 3rd Year student with more experience than you. We're not talking about films, we're talking about TV. TV directors know credits will be talked over and work around it, it's a small price to pay to get your stuff on TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That shows you don't know me at all.

People "know" fellow forum members by what they write, and when you make a post full of spitting venom in a thread like this and proudly boast of the obsessive and abusive messages you send people (those who work at the BBC) then you can't be shocked when fellow forum members make assumptions about you like I did.
    Forum Member
    People "know" fellow forum members by what they write, and when you make a post full of spitting venom in a thread like this and proudly boast of the obsessive and abusive messages you send people (those who work at the BBC) then you can't be shocked when fellow forum members make assumptions about you like I did.

Quite right, he really is quite venomous. Like my 'unsubstantiated' claims that I work at the BBC. If he'd listened I said I WORKED at the BBC, but why should I have to prove to him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite right, he really is quite venomous. Like my 'unsubstantiated' claims that I work at the BBC. If he'd listened I said I WORKED at the BBC, but why should I have to prove to him?

He also has several people suggesting he tones it down and still seems to think there's nothing wrong with his behaviour. I wish he wasn't on my "side" to be honest...what an embarrassment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wonder about people that jump into threads to tell people that are obviously concerned enough to post about an issue that they shouldn't be concerned about that issue :D

In your mind it might only warrant a 5 second grumble but that's obviously not the case for others.

Should you not start your own thread about such threads?

Agreed. It's people who actively display their passiveness which makes me wonder why they bother to contribute.

For example, lots of people will be arguing about who will win the football premiere league. I couldn't care less, but I don't go into such a thread and say that I don't care, and that anyone who does is a bit sad.
    A 3rd Year student with more experience than you.

And film directors I know, with more experience than you, hate it with a passion.

Ooh, I say...
    I overlooked that in his response to me earlier but I thought about it afterwards.

Holy s**t if voiceovers and credit squishing is making directors rethink how they write their product shouldn't we all be getting very angry about it?

Except, as I said, that isn't really the case is it. I'm not sure who this guy is but he doesn't really seem to care about the integrity of his own work,

Agreed. How can someone not care about the integrity of their work? :confused:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    As a director myself I love nothing more than my work being appreciated. However, as I've said countless, countless times, we know what we're getting into, we know the credits are going to be talked over. That's why emotional scenes aren't usually right before the credits

I've only just noticed the above comment, which makes no sense at all. Because if programmes are made to be "talkover-friendly" in the way you suggest, that implies a deliberate lowering of artistic standards by people who should be striving to make the best programme they can. Emotional scenes as you describe them are often placed at the end for very good reasons - impact! Lessen the impact at the end and you will lose some viewers next time round.

I don't buy it (as you describe it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I've only just noticed the above comment, which makes no sense at all. Because if programmes are made to be "talkover-friendly" in the way you suggest, that implies a deliberate lowering of artistic standards by people who should be striving to make the best programme they can. Emotional scenes as you describe them are often placed at the end for very good reasons - impact! Lessen the impact at the end and you will lose some viewers next time round.

Exactly. It's the same way they killed any impact trailers had, which used to end on a particular image so that it lingered in the mind, subconsciously. That happens only once in a blue moon, now, but the rest of the time, they end on a screen-filling single colour. Same with all the other main channels.

Broadcasters are managed by flickturds without a single clue in what they're doing, all running round like headless chickens.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I just thought i'd add what i've just heard to this thread as it seems to be about how awful they are in general.

The one on BBC2 has just done a promo for a show.
    "Bringing fine dining to Manchester....but is the city ready for it?"

WFT? It's bloody Manchester. One of the biggest cities in the UK. Of couse they're bloody ready for fine dining restaurants!

It just seemed a totally idiotic thing to say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught the end of the film Madagascar, with a cover version of 90s hit "I Like to Move It". Brought back some memories and was going on so long I thought "The continuity announcers have got the message and won't talk over it!"

Then they did.

Christ, they really are about as useful as cancer(!) And sadly, there is no cure for either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night's The Trip To Italy. I don't know what the classical piece is at the end, and Shazam couldn't work it out, but can you believe they waffled shite over this??

I would like Rob Brydon's murdering grandad to get to work on Red Bee Media for this!!

If you look up "Shit at your job" in the dictionary, it simply says "Red Bee Media".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b042rqxh/?t=26m19s
    Forum Member
    Last night's The Trip To Italy. I don't know what the classical piece is at the end, and Shazam couldn't work it out, but can you believe they waffled shite over this??

I would like Rob Brydon's murdering grandad to get to work on Red Bee Media for this!!

If you look up "Shit at your job" in the dictionary, it simply says "Red Bee Media".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b042rqxh/?t=26m19s

Please let this thread die... nobody is interested in what you've got to say.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Then stop reading the thread :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You mean YOU are not. Just unsubscribe from the thread. That's what I do when a thread is no longer of interest.

I expect we will not hear from you again in this thread.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Then stop reading the thread :confused:

Precisely.
    Forum Member
    You mean YOU are not. Just unsubscribe from the thread. That's what I do when a thread is no longer of interest.

I expect we will not hear from you again in this thread.

Precisely.

But you're not talking to anyone, it's basically your own internal monologue. Get a blog if you want to witter on.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nor what you have to say.... is this not a school night?:confused: