Saving Private Ryan

Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time yesterday and I'm so glad I finally watched it. Amazing film.

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great opening, then a fairly standard war pic with a couple of good set-pieces. All IMHO, of course.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh the opening scene was breath-taking.

I always thought Matt Damon had a bigger role in it but it did make sense when I watched the film.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The opening scene is one of, if not the, best War scenes ever. Its truely gut wrenchingly horrific to think this happened for real.

Sadly much of the rest of the film is typical Spielberg overlong drawn out schmaltzy fluff.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I watched Saving Private Ryan for the first time yesterday and I'm so glad I finally watched it. Amazing film.

If you loved that, now go watch Band of Brothers and The Pacific!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm led to believe there's a p0rn version called Shaving Ryan's Privates.

Never seen it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »

Although be prepared to be slightly disappointed by 'The Pacific' after seeing the other 2.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the recommendations :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Great opening, then a fairly standard war pic with a couple of good set-pieces. All IMHO, of course.

Agreed, all in all its a pretty average film, but the beginning is simply amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although be prepared to be slightly disappointed by 'The Pacific' after seeing the other 2.

I was going to say if you're short on time don't bother with The Pacific at all. Just watch Band of Brothers again if only for the gut-wrenching interviews with the veterans.

Like others said, SPR the beach assault is just outstanding, the dull talky bits between the remaining skirmishes are dull. The final battle is very decent too.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably one of the few people in the world who prefers the final battle to the opening.... Maybe just because I've seen the opening so many times.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Definitely another vote for Band of Brothers. I did enjoy The Pacific, too, but BoB is one of the best television series ever made. Absolutely fantastic television that really captures an individuals' view of WW2. Great casting, amazing cinematography - just a wonderful piece of drama that happens to be based on real events.

Yes, unlike Saving Private Ryan (which only had the Omaha beach landing as an event that really happened), all of Band of Brothers is based off real events and all the characters in it are real people who really did the things that are shown. You even get short interviews with the actual people before each episode (and the finale reveals who each is, once you've got to know the "characters.")

Its a series I can't recommend enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I was going to say if you're short on time don't bother with The Pacific at all. Just watch Band of Brothers again if only for the gut-wrenching interviews with the veterans.

Like others said, SPR the beach assault is just outstanding, the dull talky bits between the remaining skirmishes are dull. The final battle is very decent too.

I disagree and actually think The Pacific was unfairly underrated at the time. It's not as good as BoB but still a superbly made war drama. If BofB had never been made people would be saying Pacific was the best war series ever made, it's still very good and shouldn't be overlooked.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    I disagree and actually think The Pacific was unfairly underrated at the time. It's not as good as BoB but still a superbly made war drama. If BofB had never been made people would be saying Pacific was the best war series ever made, it's still very good and shouldn't be overlooked.

I agree with that. The Pacific is amazing. The negativity towards it is more a compliment to how outstanding Band of Brothers is, as opposed to saying The Pacific is bad.

Band of Brothers really is THAT good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »

Well it's true I'm measuring it against BoB but I found it disappointing overall. I'd have to seriously doubt it would be classed as the best ever in a world where BoB hadn't happened. But hey.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Saving Private Ryan...what can you say other than one of the greatest war movies ever! Brilliant!

As said above if you liked that then Band of Brothers and The Pacific is your next move.

BoB is the better of the 2 but that in no way means the The Pacific is crap, The Pacific is certainly a must watch! it's simply a fantastic war series! Certainly one to have in the DVD shelf.