End of an era (for me)

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just finished selling almost my entire DVD collection on Music Magpie. To be fair I didn't exactly have a large number of them, but they were taking up valuable space and I thought it was about time to bite the bullet. The only things that survived were a few music dvds that I still listen to, my West Wing box set (favourite tv series ever) and my Back to the Future 'tin'.

I only got £15.72 for just over 10 years of my dvd history but I was surprised to get that much. I know that there will always be the 'collectors' and those that like to pick up cheap dvds here and there but for me the format is pretty much dead. Netflix has the vast majority of my collection and I'm happy to download the rest if needed.

I also cleared out my books so now I have a very empty downstairs cupboard!

So, has anyone else done the same recently or thinking about doing it? Is anyone determined to hold on to their collection regardless of technological changes?

Comments

• Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've certainly 'culled' my DVDs in recent years, but there are many I've kept that I regard as lifelong possessions, especially some of the older tv series. Saving space isn't really important to me. I have two smallish bookcases filled now. Have maybe six hundred discs at the moment, including about 30 films on Blu-ray (which are all particular favourites of mine). There are still some discs that I intend to sell on, though. Just waiting for a suitable price for them at CeX, which is where the culled discs went.

One thing is certain....... I'll never join Netflix or any other similar service.

EDIT Btw, I do still occasionally buy DVDs and Blu-rays, but nowhere near as many as I used to. Not much left that I want to get!
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IOne thing is certain....... I'll never join Netflix or any other similar service.

Why is that?
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,687
    Forum Member
    I would think it certain that one day every film and TV show ever made will be instantly available to stream flawlessly and in scaled super HD to our personal huds for a few pence, anywhere in the world, 24/7. And I think it will be in our lifetimes too.

At which point a personal collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays will seem like a quaint, slightly eccentric hobby.

Regards

Mark
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    Mark A wrote: »
    At which point a personal collection of DVDs/Blu-Rays will seem like a quaint, slightly eccentric hobby.
    Indeed, but then world is full of such things, always has been.

Nice to think there's still room for them in the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think it certain that one day every film and TV show ever made will be instantly available to stream flawlessly and in scaled super HD to our personal huds for a few pence, anywhere in the world, 24/7. And I think it will be in our lifetimes too.

Regards

Mark

I very much doubt it (especially taking my age and state of health into account), but if that day ever arrives I shall reconsider my decision. Meanwhile, I'll stick to being 'eccentric'. :)
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Regards

Mark

yes, you are possibly right - but until my interweb is fast enough to run a you tube video without buffering, I will carry on buying discs. I like owning the things to be honest.

The change will come if the studios decide they do not want to sell hard copies any more, I think.

Having said that I cant think of much else we consume (in the general sense) without owning stuff.

And another thing. On Saturday, I bought a transformers "revenge of the fallen" bluray for £3 from cex - and the box transforms into a 14" bumble bee bot. You can't download stuff like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    yes, you are possibly right - but until my interweb is fast enough to run a you tube video without buffering, I will carry on buying discs. I like owning the things to be honest.

The change will come if the studios decide they do not want to sell hard copies any more, I think.

Having said that I cant think of much else we consume (in the general sense) without owning stuff.

And another thing. On Saturday, I bought a transformers "revenge of the fallen" bluray for £3 from cex - and the box transforms into a 14" bumble bee bot. You can't download stuff like that.

The technology to do it (3D printing) already exists, but it's quite expensive...
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I've liberated myself of all my DVDs as well, and all my music CDs - music and movies are just out there on tap in cyberspace for whenever you feel like them...
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,317
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    - music and movies are just out there on tap in cyberspace for whenever you feel like them...
    This sort of thing makes you wonder how much people actually value film/music. Do they see them having any real cultural worth, or are they just casual interests, ultimately disposable?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So..........

If I live long enough, at some unknown future date I might be able to buy a device that will allow me to subscribe to a service through which I'll be able to pay for each screening of a show or film that I already had/have on disc.

In the meantime, I dispose of all of my discs to avoid being labelled as quaint or eccentric by.........somebody, and wait patiently for this new technology to arrive (and hope that I can afford it if and when it does arrive, and that it truly does offer everything I want to watch and not just a small selection to pick from).
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was younger I would buy stuff for the sake of it, a lot of movies I bought purely because they were considered to be great. Eventually, I got rid of 70% of my collection but not for the reasons the OP did. These days I only buy what I really like, and what I know I will enjoy re-watching. It may be shallow and materialistic but I like looking over at my shelves and seeing all my favourite movies and TV shows up there in nice box sets/cases/steelbooks. As for everything else, I'm happy to wait for it to be shown on sky.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know where you can offload all your VHS films and sell them? Is there a website for that? I've got lots of films that i bought on VHS back in the day and they're just sitting there collecting dust. I really don't know what to do with them now.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    This sort of thing makes you wonder how much people actually value film/music. Do they see them having any real cultural worth, or are they just casual interests, ultimately disposable?

I love and value the intrinsic art and creativity and storytelling that goes into movies, music, theatre production etc, I just don't really care about the media used to deliver that to me, whether it be digital, hard media or live in person. The fact that it now exists in a virtual cyberspace for me to grab at will without having to provide acres of storage for it is a good thing for me
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    I love and value the intrinsic art and creativity and storytelling that goes into movies, music, theatre production etc, I just don't really care about the media used to deliver that to me, whether it be digital, hard media or live in person. The fact that it now exists in a virtual cyberspace for me to grab at will without having to provide acres of storage for it is a good thing for me

Well, exactly. Let's not confuse the medium with the art, here.

I'm currently reading Anna Karenina on my ipad. Oddly enough, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not turning paper pages...
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again other posters have mentioned I do not buy too many DVD's recently, so my collection is not as vast as it could have been. However, a few have gone to the second hand DVD shops as a money exchange.