Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed to see no Top of the Pops scheduled for 11th September. It's still the BBC Proms that week! These Proms seem to be going on forever. Anyway fingers crossed for the 18th.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed to see no Top of the Pops scheduled for 11th September. It's still the BBC Proms that week! These Proms seem to be going on forever. Anyway fingers crossed for the 18th.
    Apparently the 18th will be The Sky at Night, so TOTP must be back on the 25th. There will still be enough weeks to fit in all the remaining 1979 episodes before Christmas, though. If DLT does get reinstated before the end of the year, they'll just have to do double episodes for a few weeks.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the 18th will be The Sky at Night, so TOTP must be back on the 25th. There will still be enough weeks to fit in all the remaining 1979 episodes before Christmas, though. If DLT does get reinstated before the end of the year, they'll just have to do double episodes for a few weeks.

By my counting there would be four episodes left from 1979 involving DLT, including the Christmas special, so time I suppose to double up as you suggest Robert
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    By my counting there would be four episodes left from 1979 involving DLT, including the Christmas special, so time I suppose to double up as you suggest Robert

Could they 'sneak in' the second 1977 Xmas show at that point?
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see them going back to show episodes they've already missed to be honest, would be nice though.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

As I said previously, they might want to wait until his Christmas special if they allow him back on just to allow for the dust to settle.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said previously, they might want to wait until his Christmas special if they allow him back on just to allow for the dust to settle.

Mmm that could make a lot of sense, especially as the Christmas edition is co-presented
  • faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the early 1970s the BBC would often produce their own in-house videos to promote records on TOTP for which there was no official promo and the artist was unavailable to perform the song in the studio. The BBC retain a significant number of these videos in their archive even though the original shows for which they were made are long since wiped.

Some of these special promos have been shown on TOTP2, e.g. the Shangri-La's 'Leader Of The Pack' from 26 October 1972 and John and Yoko's 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)' from 14 December 1972. Other clips have surfaced on 'I Love the 70s' e.g. 'Brand New Key' by Melanie from January 1972 and 'Loop Di Love' by Shag (featuring Jonathan King) which originally aired on TOTP on 2 November 1972. The BBC video for 'Strange Kind Of Woman' by Deep Purple which Ed Stewart introduced on his TOTP debut on 11 March 1971 was included on the 'Deep Purple: History, Hits & Highlights 1968-76' DVD.

In the past few days 'Rare TV Archive' has posted a number of fresh clips on YouTube from vintage TOTPs which include one black and white home video recording (from the Bob Monkhouse archive) and three BBC promos which I had no idea still existed.

The b & w recording is 'Johnny Reggae' by The Piglets - a novelty record written and produced by Jonathan King from the 18 November 71 show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaa77cP8-U

The brief colour clips are:-

Lobo - Me And You And A Dog Named Boo - 8 July 1971
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVFKNL78zU

Cher - Gypsys, Tramps And Thieves - 11 November 1971
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdy3gbwulRo

The Doors - Riders On The Storm - 25 November 1971
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dgBad8yNfI

In light of how little TOTP footage remains from this period I cannot understand why the BBC have never included any of these clips on TOTP2. I would love to see the full version of 'Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves' which I recall watching while still at junior school. The YouTube version of the song (link below) begins with the still of Cher (pre-plastic sugery) taken by TOTP photographer Harry Goodwin which appeared in the Top Thirty countdown at the start of the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLTETaWswCY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen confirmation on Facebook that TOTP is definitely returning on Thursday 25th September with Peter Powell. Can't wait! Seems a long way off tho, and depending what happens with DLT, they will have quite a back log of episodes to catch up on.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Just seen confirmation on Facebook that TOTP is definitely returning on Thursday 25th September with Peter Powell. Can't wait! Seems a long way off tho, and depending what happens with DLT, they will have quite a back log of episodes to catch up on.

So excited, it seems to have been away forever!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

Wow! - Off our screens for over 2 months!!! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Wow! - Off our screens for over 2 months!!! :o
    Heaven be praised. AS someone who has only missed taping one since their reshowing in April 2011, that is great news. Thank you Ursula. If only I was young and supple enough to do a back flip.
    Forum Member
    Sorry this post came up twice! See below! :D
    Forum Member
    Canalboy wrote: »
    Heaven be praised. AS someone who has only missed taping one since their reshowing in April 2011, that is great news. Thank you Ursula. If only I was young and supple enough to do a back flip.

It was Tele-addict who knew the exact date!

I too have been trying to record the better episodes - but missed the very, very first one in April 1976 - which is very frustrating (not knowing that the reruns had started until the week after) !! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was Tele-addict who knew the exact date!

I too have been trying to record the better episodes - but missed the very, very first one in April 1976 - which is very frustrating (not knowing that the reruns had started until the week after) !! :(

I have every single episode shown so far...not boasting or anything haha :p

But if you need any odd episodes let me know ;)

Pity our collections are devalued by all the skipped episodes. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to sell my collection as complete.
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So excited, it seems to have been away forever!

+1 :)
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping someone can put a nice DVD together of all the missed episodes, a lot of them were on UK Gold in the 90s.
    Forum Member
    I have every single episode shown so far...not boasting or anything haha :p

But if you need any odd episodes let me know ;)

Pity our collections are devalued by all the skipped episodes. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to sell my collection as complete.

I wish I'd asked you to put the very first one on that DVD too - but not to worry - I will survive as I have a nice edited collection of the others!
    It's such a shame Opreation Yewtree has c***ed up all the DLT/Savile episodes!! :(
  • JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    merrim01 wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone can put a nice DVD together of all the missed episodes, a lot of them were on UK Gold in the 90s.

It is possible to buy them over the internet, but it is dependent on whether you are willing to spend. They come with the present BBC 4 repeats too.
  • chewstickchewstick Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have really enjoyed all the repeats but am distraught at the amount the BBC have pulled,

I'd be worried if I was someone that appears in 1980, they seem to have a list going
    Forum Member
    In the early 1970s the BBC would often produce their own in-house videos to promote records on TOTP for which there was no official promo and the artist was unavailable to perform the song in the studio. The BBC retain a significant number of these videos in their archive even though the original shows for which they were made are long since wiped.

Yes, some of those BBC promos are very interesting. I particularly like the one to ''Indiana Wants Me'' by R. Dean Taylor (which features a wanted man attempting to avoid capture), and ''For The Good Times'' by Perry Como (which is very romantic). There is also an american civil war re-enactment used for Elvis Presley's ''American Trilogy'' which is very effective. I'm not so sure about the effectiveness of the BBC promo to Barry White's ''I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More, Babe'', which seems a little more abstract and arty in places (and maybe a little ill fitting). However, generally those promos gave those early seventies Top Of The Pops episodes a greater sense of variety. As i have mentioned previously, i think the 1972-74 episodes have the best feel of all the Top Of The Pops eras in my opinion (and that includes those from 1979).
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    It is possible to buy them over the internet, but it is dependent on whether you are willing to spend. They come with the present BBC 4 repeats too.

Hi, where are they available to buy? PM me if necessary, thanks ;)
    Forum Member
    Hi, where are they available to buy? PM me if necessary, thanks ;)

I have PM ed you. Let me know how you get on. If you have any problems i may be able to help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jedikiah wrote: »
    I have PM ed you. Let me know how you get on. If you have any problems i may be able to help.

Would you be able to PM me too please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I'd asked you to put the very first one on that DVD too - but not to worry - I will survive as I have a nice edited collection of the others!
    It's such a shame Opreation Yewtree has c***ed up all the DLT/Savile episodes!! :(

You didn't miss much on that first episode TBH. Nothing that wasn't repeated at some point anyway.

Remember Fox Single Bed amongst others. It's amazing how different it was in those 76 episodes compared to what we are getting now in 79!