Top Of The Pops 1979 BBC4 (Part 2)

Comments

• darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    jowie wrote: »
    Really? On Top Of The Pops? When was that?

Most recently on 26/10/1978 (shown last year)
    http://itstotp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/radio-fool.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    darren1090 wrote: »
    Most recently on 26/10/1978 (shown last year)
    http://itstotp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/radio-fool.html
    Bizarre! I guess they didn't realise he was in it... If it wasn't on the programme synopsis.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it is unlikely they will show his episodes now. I think it's possibly something they might consider in a few years when the hype has blown over. But if they dared show his episodes now, can you imagine what the Daily Mail would say? And the people who got nothing better to do than complain, would be straight on the phone to the BBC. Just look at all the fuss just because TOTP2 showed a split second of Jimmy Saville! I don't think the BBC would take the risk. :(
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that it is unlikely they will show his episodes now. I think it's possibly something they might consider in a few years when the hype has blown over. But if they dared show his episodes now, can you imagine what the Daily Mail would say? And the people who got nothing better to do than complain, would be straight on the phone to the BBC. Just look at all the fuss just because TOTP2 showed a split second of Jimmy Saville! I don't think the BBC would take the risk. :(

I agree. There are sadly too many anti-BBC types out there that just seem to be waiting for any slip-ups. A few missed episodes is better than the series being pulled totally
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Travis only gets a community order then the BBC must have a look again on whether to reinstate his shows afterwards. They did after all allow Jonathan King back on having initially decided to skip him and no-one bat an eyelid when they showed alleged daughter abuser Arthur Mullard last year.
    Those two were acts appearing on the show. There's a big difference between acts, whose performances can be cut out if necessary, and the actual presenter of the programme.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I know it's an old chestnut but there was plenty of archive footage of DLT on every news today including, on one channel, a clip of DLT and Jimmy Savile together from TOTP's!!
    But of course, that couldn't possibly offend the way a snippet of Savile earlier in the month could! :confused:
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping DLT gets a suspended sentence - then that way the BEEB may be temped to show his episodes afterwards!! :(
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still dont understand why the episodes cant simply be edited to remove the DLT intro's. It would take someone literally minutes to do this as its so simple. TOTP's is about the music, why should these great peformances not be shown because of 5 second intro before each song.

Its not perfect, of course we want them shown as broadcast but its better then nothing.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was let off the more serious sexual assault, but found guilty of one indecent assault, which may not be serious enough for the beeb to ban all his episodes. It will be interesting to see how the bbc handle this.

The BBC has made a rod for its own back by withholding Savile episodes and the like. It's not illegal to show footage of criminals and other dodgy types. That would seriously hamper all kinds of history programmes, educational and documentaries.

Let's not forget Savile was never convicted of anything, so where are they drawing the line? Pity they ever let it interfere with their repeats policy at all.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    I still dont understand why the episodes cant simply be edited to remove the DLT intro's. It would take someone literally minutes to do this as its so simple. TOTP's is about the music, why should these great peformances not be shown because of 5 second intro before each song.

Its not perfect, of course we want them shown as broadcast but its better then nothing.

And yet another poster states the obvious.

Why can't the Beeb see this?
    Forum Member
    Quack Quack Oops! :(

Just a thought - DLT was never guilty of ANY wrongdoing during his TOTP years - so surely his episodes could still go ahead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC has made a rod for its own back by withholding Savile episodes and the like. It's not illegal to show footage of criminals and other dodgy types. That would seriously hamper all kinds of history programmes, educational and documentaries.

Let's not forget Savile was never convicted of anything, so where are they drawing the line? Pity they ever let it interfere with their repeats policy at all.

I don't mean to sound rude, but what you say sounds pretty naïve. It's not illegal to show footage of criminals including Saville when shown for educational or news related purposes. But there's a big difference between showing clips of Saville on the news and repeating his programmes on the tele for entertainment purposes. It seems pretty obvious why they wouldn't show the Saville episodes. You can't really blame them for that. It would be like they were condoning what he did. He may not have been convicted of anything, but he has only become one of the biggest prolific paedophiles ever! The complaints would go through the roof!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    I'm hoping DLT gets a suspended sentence - then that way the BEEB may be temped to show his episodes afterwards!! :(

A suspended sentence would be good. After all, he has only been accused of groping someone. It's hardly Jimmy Saville territory is it? You can bet tho that the media will blow it up out of all proportion and that won't do his TOTP repeats any favours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    A shame for DLT that the Mrs Merton show wasn't recorded in Rotherham, then everyone could have turned a blind eye eh? Oh wait though, he's white and a celebrity. Nick him Charlie, we might get on the telly.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean to sound rude, but what you say sounds pretty naïve. It's not illegal to show footage of criminals including Saville when shown for educational or news related purposes. But there's a big difference between showing clips of Saville on the news and repeating his programmes on the tele for entertainment purposes. It seems pretty obvious why they wouldn't show the Saville episodes. You can't really blame them for that. It would be like they were condoning what he did. He may not have been convicted of anything, but he has only become one of the biggest prolific paedophiles ever! The complaints would go through the roof!

I'm not naive at all, merely questioning the need for all this uber sensitivity. I've already made it clear that I always detested Savile, but I used to put up with his presence on TV because I wanted to watch TOTP. There are plenty of other things on TV that offend some people for one reason or another, but no one is forced to watch anything.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Quack Quack Oops! :(

Just a thought - DLT was never guilty of ANY wrongdoing during his TOTP years - so surely his episodes could still go ahead?

Very good point.
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,837
    Forum Member

Westy2 wrote: »
    And yet another poster states the obvious.

Why can't the Beeb see this?

Because the brass at the BBC are nervous regarding the forthcoming Royal Charter, and are desperately trying to keep their noses clean & out of the interest of the BBC-hating Mail or Sun till after it's been finalised so they'll still have a job/pension.

The Savile fallout has been a serious embarrassment for many institutions, more so for the BBC because of the "unique way it is funded", but the directors at the BBC probably think it's better to upset a few minority viewers, who'd rather watch a 35 Year old programme (wholly superior than most of the current crop of crap), rather than to be seen to be deliberately upsetting the establishment (Daily Mail/Sun & the Westminster chums of) who are going to be discussing aforementioned Royal Charter/Knighthoods in the next Parliament.

Hopefully the "contraband" episodes will turn up online so I can make my own judgement as to whether my sensibilities will be offended, rather than a "bean counter" deciding it for me..
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It is horrifically insulting if the BBC continue to block both Savile and DLT's episodes from now on, as it suggests a link between a serial predatory sex offender over many decades, and someone who's about to serve a sentence for one incident that happened years after any of his episodes were recorded. Ok, fine, you can make the point that some of Savile's alleged victims may be in the same episodes as him. That is not the case for DLT.

But then they're stuck no matter what they do. Block DLT's episodes (yet happily air Gary Glitter appearances, go figure) and it pisses off a lot of people. Air even just one DLT episode and you just know the newspapers will jump on it within hours and turn it into another scandal.
  • andyd1302andyd1302 Posts: 5,837
    Forum Member
    It is horrifically insulting if the BBC continue to block both Savile and DLT's episodes from now on, as it suggests a link between a serial predatory sex offender over many decades, and someone who's about to serve a sentence for one incident that happened years after any of his episodes were recorded. Ok, fine, you can make the point that some of Savile's alleged victims may be in the same episodes as him. That is not the case for DLT.

But then they're stuck no matter what they do. Block DLT's episodes (yet happily air Gary Glitter appearances, go figure) and it pisses off a lot of people. Air even just one DLT episode and you just know the newspapers will jump on it within hours and turn it into another scandal.

Trial of media by the media & the licence fee payers don't get any say in the matter.

The "editing" option would be the best we can hope for, but would it pass the Daily Fail test and have the BBC got the bottle to do it?

Tellingly, the Radio Times lists this Week's TOTP Peter Powell episode from Sep 6 1979, whilst next Week's Radio Times lists Mike Read's episode will be shown from Sep 20 1979, meaning the DLT episode from Sep 13 would be skipped....
    Forum Member
    Quack Quack Oops!! :o
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andyd1302 wrote: »
    Tellingly, the Radio Times lists this Week's TOTP Peter Powell episode from Sep 6 1979, whilst next Week's Radio Times lists Mike Read's episode will be shown from Sep 20 1979, meaning the DLT episode from Sep 13 would be skipped....
    By taking several weeks off for the Proms, they had obviously planned this year's repeats around the assumption that DLT's editions were not going to be reinstated. There are ten non-Yewtree programmes left for 1979 - with breaks for The Sky at Night, that takes us neatly up to Christmas.

With 33 editions available to show for 1980, versus 34 for 1979, they will in all probability schedule next year's repeats in the same way as this year.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no expert on sentencing, but would be surprised if DLT is given a custodial sentence. Whilst not something any woman should experience, for the woman involved, she has used this experience in her comedy show for a number of years now. We should not forget he has been convicted of a serious sexual assault.

If it isn't custodial, then it will be interesting how the BBC deal with this.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DLT is not a paedophile like Saville was, and was also cleared of all other charges against him. DLT is no way in the same league as Saville and Harris.

Also for some people and the media to link DLT to Yewtree is laughable. Yewtree was set up in response to historical child abuse allegations. DLT has not been found guilty of this.

The BBC is blocking repeats of his TOTP editions over one charge of grabbing someone's breast 24 years ago.

Think you may find that a great number of men are probably guilty of grabbing someone's breast but as this is DLT and the celebrity witch hunt era

So we all suffer with the loss of DLT repeat screenings over an incident that is tame compared to the crimes of others, for which their performances (Glitter, King) are now allowed on TV.

Can we get together a mass signed letter of protest to request the BBC re-instate DLT editions?

What next? Carry On movies banned due to the late Sid James looking down and at Barbara Windsor's cleavage?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Can we get together a mass signed letter of protest to request the BBC re-instate DLT editions?
    Count me out.
    Not that I'm protesting about him appearing because of what he's been convicted of.
    I just never could stand the man. :D
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Rightly or wrongly, I don't think BBC Four are going to reinstate DLT's shows at any point in the next few years, and nothing is going to make them change their minds. I fear that if people kick up too much of a fuss over this, it's more likely to make them decide that this repeat run is more trouble than it's worth, and drop the repeats altogether.

I'd rather have a repeat run with some episodes missed out than no repeats at all.