Options

What's the worst Christmas you've ever had?

gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mine was around 2002.

We just ended up having beans on toast, because my dad spilt turkey blood over everything in the fridge! All the food had to be thrown away in the end - cakes, chocolate, the lot!

My mum also burnt the turkey as it happened :(

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum and dad had a row on Christmas eve

The turkey ended up buried in the garden.

I can laugh now!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum died in the November when I was in what is now called Year 5 at primary school. She died suddenly and unexpectedly, so we had no long 'easing in' period and by xmas were still pole-axed by it.

I put up the tree, as I had the year before. But it was all horrible. She used to love making me do glittery pictures to put in the hallway. Never did them again - couldn't face it.

And my dad - who was actually an excellent cook - couldn;t face making xmas dinner so he took us to a pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My mum died in the November when I was in what is now called Year 5 at primary school. She died suddenly and unexpectedly, so we had no long 'easing in' period and by xmas were still pole-axed by it.

I put up the tree, as I had the year before. But it was all horrible. She used to love making me do glittery pictures to put in the hallway. Never did them again - couldn't face it.

And my dad - who was actually an excellent cook - couldn;t face making xmas dinner so he took us to a pub.

That's so sad :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »

that's awful Hogzilla. My mum died 2 years ago in November but I can't imagine what it was like for you at that age. :(
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2007 My mum was in a coma for 8 days before dying on the 28th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shan't be opening this thread again :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worst one was when I was about 10 years old. My da got drunk and started on my brother at the Christmas table. The rest of us were too scared to tell him to shut up in case he got violent and my brother left the table in tears. It was so bad my other brother didn't come home for xmas the following year. :(
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one.
  • Options
    rehab_101rehab_101 Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to post mine, but in comparision my seems quite trivial, stupid and moany.

I hope you are all having a xmas to look forward too this year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last Christmas was pretty bad although it was a damn sight worse for people around me so I don't dwell on it. It started off so well and I had a wonderful mini-holiday in Paris but I had a nightmare getting back home because of the snow, which included a night at CDG airport so when I got home, I was thoroughly knackered and couldn't be bothered to get a tree, which didn't make me feel very Christmassy.

I was meant to be going to my uncle and aunt's house for Christmas, as per normal, but I wasn't able to and my aunt's father died on Christmas day after a long illness and I was meant to be going to my mum's house on the 27th but her partner's mum was very ill and died on Boxing Day. For the whole family, it wasn't the most pleasant Christmas to say the least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1988 when my 2 yr old golden labrador died and I miscarried my baby.....and 2000 for being in London at a party when I just wanted to be at home :(
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got battered xmas eve accidently done loads of Es, massive comedown/hangover and xmas dinner dont mix got drunk gain got stroppyu, mate shagged my sister. went bed woke up with another hangover,.

happy days.

Pretty trivisl compared to the harowing tales on here, hope all you have nicer xmas time this year.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    1982, as my boyfriend died 3 days before :(
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    When I was a kid, there were a few christmasses that never were. My mother has always suffered bad bouts of clinical depression (thankfully, these are farther between now as she seems to be on better drugs), so when they coincided with Christmas, the house drifted between the usual screaming and plate throwing and quiet periods when she would spend all day crying in bed. We'd tread on eggshells to avoid upsetting her, which meant doing nothing christmasy (or that made a noise!).
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My father was in hospital over Christmas, and had a stroke on, or about, Christmas day.

He died early in January.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in my early teens when I still lived at home, my dad had a massive falling out with my eldest brother over the dinner table. It was awful, my brother left home that day, my other brother hid in his room, my mum disappeard into the kitchen to cry and I ended walking round the local park feeling a mixture of anger at my dad and sadness at my brother leaving home on such bad terms. It was a shit Christmas that year.

My daughter was born 20th dec in 1995, she was 2 months prem and it was touch and go whether she would survive. I spent xmas day sitting next to an incubator listening to all the machines bleeping. It wasn't a particularly shitty xmas, in some ways it was awesome, my first xmas as a mum and all but it was pretty stressful at the same time. I didn't feel particularly festive looking at this tiny ventilated baby but I put a brave face on when my parents visited. None of us dared speak of the future so no mention of the following xmas.
    She's 15 soon :)
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Christmas Eve. I was 7 years old. I was decorating the tree......waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by - Dad wasn't home. So Mum called the office, no answer.

Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep.

It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire.

That's when I noticed the smell.

The firemen came and broke through the chimney top, expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird.

And instead they pulled out my father.

He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney......his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us.

He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly.

And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    It was Christmas Eve. I was 7 years old. I was decorating the tree......waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by - Dad wasn't home. So Mum called the office, no answer.

Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep.

It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire.

The firemen came and broke through the chimney top, expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird.

He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney......his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us.

jesus thats so sad sorry to hear that.

i dont think id be able to enjoy future christmases at all after that

but do you enjoy xmas days you have now at all after that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that Gremlins existed :D:D:D
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Top class!
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I havent seen that urban legend in years!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Nothing truly horrific (like folk dying) has happened at Christmas but my nan's birthday was Christmas day and I am the following day so it's always a bit bitter sweet at Christmas when I'm celebrating my birthday without her.

A few times on Christmas my mum has either forgotten to defrost the turkey so it's just a big icy mass sitting there on the kitchen counter. Or one Christmas the turkey must have "gone off" because on further inspection parts of the turkey corpse was green so we ended up having all the veg without the meat.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mum went into hospital Christmas eve 2008, died a few days later, what was worse that we could not put her to rest until after the new year.

Christmas means very little to me anyway, even before that, it means even less now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The old ones are the best! :D
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and dad had a row on Christmas eve

The turkey ended up buried in the garden.

I can laugh now!
    I hope my kids can laugh too one day. About 3 years ago, me & the guy I was datng had an awful row on xmas eve. He was stopping at mine with his daughter who was the same age as mine, they got on well. His sister had disowned him because he was dating me (she had only met me once but she hated him dating anyone apparently, the jealous moo) I encouraged him to txt her happy xmas & try & bury the hatchet so to speak. But I didn't know her & didn't know quite how evil she was. She hurled abuse back at him, called him a bad dad & I sat in the kitchen writing a txt out to send to her. He thought I was txting someone else, as if I would be at that moment in time anyway! he was very insecure, we ended up rowing, he got his 10 yr old daugher out of bed at about 1am, & got a taxi to his. He bought her back xmas day to open her pesents, but I was in tears for hours because xmas had been ruined for all our kids.
    It was horrible. And i'll always regret it. We dated for a few more months after that stupidly enough. But haven't dated anyone since him, not until my kids are adults now.