Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ exactly
    Yeh they mimed the chorus; so did Alex & Cheryl
    Sung the verses live
    they gave a big performance! what else do you want if it was all live there would of been "they cant sing" when obv it wouldnt of been to their best because there was a dance routine, it never is for anyone.
    but if there was no performance and just singing live "JLS there so boring"

never please anyone :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Frankie BoyleFrankie Boyle Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Anybody else hear the backing track go distorted?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    A bit late to add to this thread but I had to....

For anyone doubting that they mimed, (they sang live [badly]on the verses and mimed the chorus), have a listen to the very end of the song. Just as the pre-recorded singing ended, they can be heard singing along with it live....each one of them was singing a different note...funniest moment of the show last night for me! Blink and you will miss it, but it's funny as hell :D
  • Options
    letmeinFFSletmeinFFS Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chorus sounded great (as in clean, not as in i think theyre great), verses sounded terrible. why not either mime or sing live rather than do a bit of both? it only highlights how crap they are
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought JLS were superb last night. So professional and so polished. Absolutely wonderful stuff!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reality check.
    Finished recordings that we hear on the radio go through days of tweaking, timing, tuning and voice filters in the studio. Did you really think people naturally sing with echo, reverb, and electronic effects :o

JLS were brave to sing anything live and do a full dance routine at the same time. This was a promo for their single release today and the Album next week.

After spending thousands ££££ getting it just right in the studio what would be the point of showcasing a "natural live" version on TV which wouldn't match the one in the shops.
    Some people on here would probably return the one they bought in the shops under some trade descriptions act law as advertising something when sung live and then getting a different product on the cd:D
  • Options
    letmeinFFSletmeinFFS Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    classixuk wrote: »
    Reality check.
    Finished recordings that we hear on the radio go through days of tweaking, timing, tuning and voice filters in the studio. Did you really think people naturally sing with echo, reverb, and electronic effects :o

JLS were brave to sing anything live and do a full dance routine at the same time. This was a promo for their single release today and the Album next week.

After spending thousands ££££ getting it just right in the studio what would be the point of showcasing a "natural live" version on TV which wouldn't match the one in the shops.
    Some people on here would probably return the one they bought in the shops under some trade descriptions act law as advertising something when sung live and then getting a different product on the cd:D

reality check.
    This is the attitude that is killing genuine talent. JLS are not someone to look up to for their 'bravery'. They are to be mocked for being too shit to sing live. Shimples.

PS it is entirely possible to sing live with reverb/echo/delay/etc.
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt-08 wrote: »
    I think you're right. Didn't Cheryl do the same?

I found the whole Cheryl debacle about miming ridiculous. Almost ALL the so called stars who come on mime, just the way it is. Look at the biggest pop star of them all girl wise... Britney.... not a word of of it sung live last year, all mimed, so if Britney can do it, why not Cheryl!
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reality check.

Excellent post ! they have to produce a sound on stage that is identical to the record to make the sales! Common sense really.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Excellent post ! they have to produce a sound on stage that is identical to the record to make the sales! Common sense really.
    I think you will find most performers manage fine performing live at festivals. Bon Jovi were live and they still make sales.
  • Options
    operonoperon Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    they were not miming, hell notice they could use thier mics to talk to dermot, they did not have to borrow his
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its because of the dance moves they do but its a bit out of order in the sense that many other acts have energetic dance moves but still sing, Justin T being one. MJ used to as well.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    operon wrote: »
    they were not miming, hell notice they could use thier mics to talk to dermot, they did not have to borrow his

Umm, Cheryl used her own mic too to speak to Dermot

And even her fans will openly admit she mimed parts of her song.
  • Options
    TigerpawsTigerpaws Posts: 11,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knew a thread or ten about JLS miming would be quickly up on here. Not one about Jon Bon's faultless performance.....

I get very cynical about these forums sometimes.

LOL Bon Jovi's faultless performance is because they have 25yrs experience in the industry performing live all over the world - they didn't mime because they had no need to.
    I'm not even a fan of theirs but thought they were very very good one of only 2 decent guest performances this year the other being Michael Buble.
  • Options
    leigh183leigh183 Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomy wrote: »

For anyone doubting that they mimed, (they sang live [badly]on the verses and mimed the chorus), have a listen to the very end of the song. Just as the pre-recorded singing ended, they can be heard singing along with it live....each one of them was singing a different note...funniest moment of the show last night for me! Blink and you will miss it, but it's funny as hell :D

haha yes I heard that - I had to rewind it, they sounded terrible trying to harmonise!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They mimed the chorus, and sang the verses live. It's obvious cuz the chorus was exactly like the recorded CD and the verse Marvin sang was terribly out of tune!
  • Options
    leigh183leigh183 Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tigerpaws wrote: »
    LOL Bon Jovi's faultless performance is because they have 25yrs experience in the industry performing live all over the world - they didn't mime because they had no need to.
    I'm not even a fan of theirs but thought they were very very good one of only 2 decent guest performances this year the other being Michael Buble.

Get Will Young on!! He's hellish live - he'll show them how it's done!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I think Dermot was miming too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    operon wrote: »

Their mikes were live so they could sing the verses, (probably over the top of the studio recording) their mikes were either lowered or muted at the mixing desk during the choruses.

Unlike the likes of Britneys head-mike, which is just for show, and she would need to grab the interviewers mike if she is ever interviewed unexpectedly. In fact if you ever see a head mike on a dancing singer then its probably dead and not even wired up to a battery pack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    nomy wrote: »

yes! I had to listen to this twice. The pitch shifts up by about a semitone very briefly, I found this odd, not sure what it meant though.

Regardless, I don't think JLS are all that bad, they did some decent live performances before the live finals last year. I don't think they have any need to mime, with some practice they could get it to the next level if they needed to.

To be honest, I dislike the idea of putting a group like JLS to a backing track, which tends to just drown out the close harmony aspect. I far prefer hearing groups like that sing a capella, or just with a simple accompaniment, where the fact that they are singing in harmony becomes a more featured part of the performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    lol are we ever gonna have a guest performance without accusations of miming.

I don't think so. And if they sing live there get accused of sing out tune.

They can't win.

To be honest I don't care if acts go out of tune a little bit it shows they are sing live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chorus was definately mimed (I've heard the song so many times and it was exactly the same as the recording). However, Marvin and Aston's solos were sang live.

They still did a good job. Not my cup of tea, though.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    lol are we ever gonna have a guest performance without accusations of miming.

Michael Buble didn't mime. He didn't need to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Their mikes were live so they could sing the verses, (probably over the top of the studio recording) their mikes were either lowered or muted at the mixing desk during the choruses.

Unlike the likes of Britneys head-mike, which is just for show, and she would need to grab the interviewers mike if she is ever interviewed unexpectedly. In fact if you ever see a head mike on a dancing singer then its probably dead and not even wired up to a battery pack.

What exactly are you talking about?
    J&E have performed live with head mics..
  • Options
    musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I think they were miming. Just not the verses.