Why all the hate towards students?

vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Following on from all the threads about the student protests...lots of people go on about how students are lazy and spoilt, and usually the phrase "university of life" gets thrown around. Is this just a case of sour grapes, or has the value of university really sunk this much?

I know there are some students who just go for the piss up, but they usually don't last long. The majority, once the novelty of being away from home has worn off, settle down into serious studying. In every discussion about fees, there's a general outcry of "Why should I, the taxpayer, pay for their education?"

Well, If everyone went to "the university of life", as some proudly call it, then who would treat them when they're ill, or teach their children, or become the future leaders of the country etc?
As I said on the other thread, I do think that silly courses like Surf Science and Film Studies should be cut out, (or self funded) but surely the traditional academic subjects should be free, or at least cost less?

Comments

• colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because people are in far worse situations that any student and have figured out there is no money so its a case of getting through the hard times.

Students want it all done for them. If its that important people wont mind paying for it.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Why all the hate ? Because informative internet forums tell us to.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Students have become imbued with the same sense of entitlement as everybody else.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    colnechris wrote: »
    Because people are in far worse situations that any student and have figured out there is no money so its a case of getting through the hard times.

Students want it all done for them.

Unfortunately, they've been allowed to grow up with a sense of entitlement. Now, that's going to have to change.
  • dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone dislikes students then thats a clear sign of bitterness imo. Why the hate for people who want to learn? Some people have an issue with the system - thats completely different and understandable. I do not understand and never WILL understand anyone wanting to strip education from our youths. We spend so long harping on about getting kids in education and off the streets etc, only to turn round and start saying, "Actually, nevermind...get down the job centre!". Be angry with the government, not students.
  • vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colnechris wrote: »

Students want it all done for them. If its that important people wont mind paying for it.

But there are always people in far worse situations. It's not a case of whether people mind paying for it, it's a case of whether they can or not. So much talent will be wasted, because let's face it, people from a less well off background will be reluctant to get into so much debt- unless your family is rich, it's a big gamble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Most people, including a few on this topic, seem to think all students are exactly the same. They don't all get pissed every night and expect to walk into a £40K job the day after graduating you know. Yet idiots spread the hate by saying all students are like this and others follow.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the comments about the protests have been quite surprising. Things like "Why are they protesting when it won't affect them?" really annoy me - so people should only protest about things that directly affect them? :confused: They shouldn’t speak up if they feel something is unfair or unjust? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, they've been allowed to grow up with a sense of entitlement. Now, that's going to have to change.

But surely everyone is, or should be entitled to study in exchange for a reasonable fee? 9000 year isn't reasonable at all. Why aren't they cutting bankers' bonuses instead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone dislikes students then thats a clear sign of bitterness imo. Why the hate for people who want to learn? Some people have an issue with the system - thats completely different and understandable. I do not understand and never WILL understand anyone wanting to strip education from our youths. We spend so long harping on about getting kids in education and off the streets etc, only to turn round and start saying, "Actually, nevermind...get down the job centre!". Be angry with the government, not students.

No-one is stripping education from our youth-they're entitled to a state funded education, and they get it. From age five to age sixteen. After that, they're adults-if they want to stay in education, they can pay for it. The country can no longer afford to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one is stripping education from our youth-they're entitled to a state funded education, and they get it. From age five to age sixteen. After that, they're adults-if they want to stay in education, they can pay for it.

We already ARE paying for it. Most people are objecting to the fees tripling overnight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one is stripping education from our youth-they're entitled to a state funded education, and they get it. From age five to age sixteen. After that, they're adults-if they want to stay in education, they can pay for it.

And they do, eventually. How many people in the world leave high school with 20/30 grand in their pockets? Very very few. Unless you think education should be left to the elite, then your arguement is dead in the water.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Some people forget university students are the future of the country.

Also, stereotypes.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But how do they pay for it? They end up either getting into huge debt or getting it funded by their parents. The point is that university is supposed to be granted to people on ability not on how well off their parents happen to be.

Saying that, the large tuitiion fees in the States doesn't seem to have put many people off there
  • F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont hate them but im the same age as them :p
    My older family members hate all students and seem to think they get loans and just blow it all on booze and parties and cant be bothered to make a try at being clean.
    I know its not true, I work so cant be a student but if I went to uni I would still be me. My mate is a student though and at uni and is very very clean (room and self), spends his loan on books, rent, food, equipment etc. His party money or going out money comes from his part time job he works aswell as being at uni 5 days a week he works 2 or 3 nights a week and all day saturday.
    More than I could do thats for sure. Not all students are bad and fit the stereotype, Its just bad press. Mind you the riots dont exactly help their cause and just means the goverment forks out more to clean up resulting in less money for them lol kinda backwards if you ask me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Confusing wrote: »
    I would have said that skilled tradespeople are more important to the future of the country than people with useless degrees in sociology and the arts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not exclusively they aren't.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what you are saying is people who don't go to Uni are not the future of this country.

Nice. *thumbs up*

Would these be the same students who end up moving abroad to work by any chance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I would have said that skilled tradespeople are more important to the future of the country than people with useless degrees in sociology and the arts.

Yet many Government jobs let you in at a higher level automatically if you have a 'useless' degree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Shows how very very little you know.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For every sociology or arts graduate there is a traffic warden or local government pencil pusher. Besides a lot of arts graduates end up being placed in white collar management based jobs partly due to the skills they learnt at universiy, rather than the actual facts of what they learnt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    Yet many Government jobs let you in at a higher level automatically if you have a 'useless' degree?

Go figure.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    Go figure.

Whats to go figure? That someone with a 'useless' degree has managed to use said degree to get a well placed job compared to someone without one who starts in admin?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Mitchell write an interesting column on the subject: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/28/student-protests-tuition-fees-clegg
    I very much agree with him on this.