Options

Who is letting Matt do so much press ?

Comments

• Options
    liz83liz83 Posts: 6,398
    Forum Member
    Well we've seen the flaws at least. :p

:D I know thats all you see; I see both. But while it may be hard to look beyond your own prejudices about Matt hes not losing popularity is he? His FB is growing steadily; his twitter followers are increasing; people are buying his record; the press are desperate to write about him and hes being talked about. In here there are people who loathe him so much I feel they can lose perspective and try to convince themselves things are happening as they want them to; out there not so much:p But anyway- now the endless press interviews are done we should have a bit of a famine and you'll have to look elsewhere.:eek: How will you cope?
    ;)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    liz83 wrote: »
    now the endless press interviews are done we should have a bit of a famine and you'll have to look elsewhere.:eek: How will you cope?
    ;)

It will be sad :cry:
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right but they are not isolated cases. There has simply been too much caca reported as coming from Matt, to add to what was seen and heard on Xtra Factor, for it to be totally doubted any more.

Absolute nonsence.

Tabloids continually reporting the line that they have started on does not give the story any veracity.

Once a tabloid gets a line in its head it goes looking for stuff to support it and it twists or makes up thing to that end,

With regard to reporting "isolated" incidents are often not. Or rather the reporting of them isn't as they would have to fit the original mode - except in those cases where a different slant might sell more papers and where the previous reporting won't look too contradictory to the more stupid reader
  • Options
    syedluversyedluver Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batman, If i can see or hear him say it, then i will believe it, That goes for anyone, not just people i like. I have never beleived the BS that is written in newspapers as it is lies.

Correct me if i am wrong, but didnt Peirce Morgan work for a newspaper? He now interviews people asking them what stories are true, Surely if he worked for a honest newspaper then he knows that they are all true, right? He only got fired for being caught out for manipulating photo's, If he was not caught out he would still be there wrighting crap now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    neelia wrote: »

Some heros have been unfaithful. It bears no relation to his stature as an artist,

A hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength. a soldier perhaps.

Not a spoilt brat who never seems to stop whining or moaning about his lot in life and commenting on his fellow contestants behind their backs.

There is a lot of this reported in the newspapers about Matt and not all of it is made up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing would make anything negative about Matt real for you.

Maybe nothing without credible corroberation would make anything negative, about any of the acts, real for that poster. That should be the position with everyone,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nothing would make anything negative about Matt real for you.

Maybe Simon does know what he's doing and maybe what he wants is to sink Matt. Let's face it, the treasured positive response from America hasn't been forthcoming and was never going to be for Matt, given his startling similarity to the last two unexpected American Idol winners whose album sales have then gone onto break competition records for all the wrong reasons, so maybe Matt is surplus to Syco requirements.

And this is a textbook example in my view of seeing what you want to see. Why would Simon want another winner to fail especially in US launch year? Why would he want to perpetuate the idea that all male winners are doomed unless he just wants girls to enter? The treasured positive response from the US hasnt been forthcoming???? He won a week ago! If bad press and being himself didnt sink Matt during the compeition - in fact the very opposite - why would it do so now? Yes SC does know what hes doing PRwise - hes changed tack bigtime this year - and its not trying to sink Matt - IMO of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It will be sad :cry:

I know. We'll mourn together :cry:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength. a soldie.r perhaps

Did I say different? I was not saying that Matt is a hero. I was making the point that some heros have been unfaithful but that doesn't stop them being heros. If that doesn't stop a hero being a hero, why should it affect Matt's stature as an artist?
    Not a spoilt brat who never seems to stop whining or moaning about his lot in life and commenting on his fellow contestants behind their backs.
    Seems being the operative word and not to all of us, I do not beleive that there is anyone in the world able to comment that doesn't comment on people behind their back?

I thought though that the complaint against Matt was that he was supposed to be doing it publically.

I don't remember much whining and moaning even amonst what has been alledged. He has been trying for years, That is what makes this all the more exciting for him.

There is a lot of this reported in the newspapers about Matt and not all of it is made up.
    and you know that it is not because?
    It doesn't have to be made up for it to be misleading - it just has to be twisted - deliberalty or not
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this is a textbook example in my view of seeing what you want to see. Why would Simon want another winner to fail especially in US launch year? Why would he want to perpetuate the idea that all male winners are doomed unless he just wants girls to enter? The treasured positive response from the US hasnt been forthcoming???? He won a week ago! If bad press and being himself didnt sink Matt during the compeition - in fact the very opposite - why would it do so now? Yes SC does know what hes doing PRwise - hes changed tack bigtime this year - and its not trying to sink Matt - IMO of course.

I agree Liz. I think that Simon will have been DELIGHTED at the artlicle in the DM re his friends' Dad - absolutley delighted.

As he was about all the stuff about Katie's gran.

The only thing that I think that he has a hang-up about publicity wise is homosexuality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength. a soldier perhaps.

This is true. Not all of it is made up - hes pretty straighttalking about alot of stuff but then alot of it IS made up. Its stuff he said taken out of context or twisted or just headlined a certain way - as when he was asked who he fancied more, Cheryl or Danni- he said Danni, complimented her sweetly and it was headlined as 'Matt has a crush on Danni' - subtext - he's a sex addict who wants to break up her relationship and leave her child fatherless. :p Then theres of course the immortal Steve Brookstein presser moment which we saw on tape. Its how tabloid journalism works - they feed off each others invetnions so what one prints is repeated as truth by others and it becomes 'reality'

But thats true of any celeb - and they have to suck it up - the fact that who they are and what they say is constantly distorted. Its the overall image that counts and Matts doing pretty well with that in the Real World.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DigitalSpy have the article about him admitting to cheating on his girlfriend having told RTE. Matt needs to be taught about not being so open with his thoughts to the media. ;)
  • Options
    syedluversyedluver Posts: 1,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is everyones reasoning as to why on tv interviews he comes across as a genuine, nice guy and never says a word wrong, Who also denies stories written about him in newspapers but as soon as he is interviewed by a newspaper it all goes tits up. If he is trying to come across as a nice guy in televised interviews then why not in a newspaper? Why would he contradict himself all the time? I'll tell you why shall i? its called Lies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    DigitalSpy have the article about him admitting to cheating on his girlfriend having told RTE. Matt needs to be taught about not being so open with his thoughts to the media. ;)

I am in too minds about that, Considering that if the papers are interested in you, if you don't give them something that they can put a spin on, they will just spin something from the past or make it up. There appear to be people ready to lap it up if it feeds their prejudice or if they are generally gullable.

On the issue of press, they are expert in getting people to talk. It can be easy, especially in his situation, to forget that he is actually talking to a journalist.

I think that if I was him I would be tempted to just go for it and tell the most outlandish lies I can :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I dont agree actually. I dont know whether he said it or not but the quote I saw was great PR. It says he admits he was unfaithful - not who to thoughof course we're assuming its the Endlessly Selling Her Story Tll People Are Sick Of Her GF - and then that his problem is that he's never had his heart broken; hes always been the one to end relationships. What he wants is to find the one person he never wants to lose or words to that effect.

Thats dogwhistle PR to alot of girls. It says hes desired and not the one dumped; it says hes looking for true love; it says hes honest about his faults; it says that unlike alot of men he's in touch with his emotions, thinks about them and recognises why he did it. And it says hes a bit of a bad boy. OK I dont expect any of you lot to see that,:p but Cowell wants edge and hes getting it beautifully.
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure now he's away from the circus over his short Xmas break he has time to reflect he probably will...it's a learning process.

RTE piece has been lifted fron Grazia interview - god the media today, they just feed and recycle off each other.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't seem to have had much media training. It could go wrong for him if he doesn't choose his words more carefully, unless Cowell is giving him rope to hang himself with so that he can pave the way for another act. I can't blame Matt for soaking up all the attention and I doubt he'd have any control over the way the press edit him, BUT he is giving them ammo and is becoming less likeable by the day - of course not in the eyes of his fans - he needs to cool it a little because he isn't established yet and if he becomes more famous for having beer spilled down his front, the women, and the things he says he runs the risk of it overshadowing his music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me Matt's experience with drink, drugs, the opposite sex, minor run ins with the police when younger seems no different to a lot of 27 year old males (and females) .. he's not a child so he's bound to have had a "past" and the papers are just picking up on these things . and it appears that those on here who obviously have a dislike for him are blowing then all out of proportion to make him appear to be some sort of monster, criminal/menace to society

Yes he's outspoken and perhaps for his own good he shouldn't be so open as the press and sone people are going to hold it against him .. but it doesn't bother me at all ... I like his voice and I like his music and that's all that matters to me .. if he turns out to be a serial killer I would no doubt change me views on him but at the moment his only crime seems to be being human
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    diamond1 wrote: »
    To me Matt's experience with drink, drugs, girls, minor run ins with the police when younger seems no different to a lot of 27 year old males .. he's not a child so he's bound to have had a "past" and the papers are just picking up on these things . and it appears that those on here who obviously have a dislike for him are blowing then all out of proportion to make him appear to be some sort of monster, criminal/menace to society

Yes he's outspoken and perhaps for his own good he shouldn't be so open as the press and sone people are going to hold it against him .. but it doesn't bother me at all ... I like his voice and I like his music and that's all that matters to me .. if he turns out to be a serial killer I would no doubt change me views on him but at the moment his only crime seems to be being human

Same here - if you like someone you like them regardless of media blurb. We're hardly talking Gary Glitter stakes here!! Just a bit of ducking and a diving - bobbing and a weaving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me Matt's experience with drink, drugs, girls, minor run ins with the police when younger seems no different to a lot of 27 year old males .. he's not a child so he's bound to have had a "past" and the papers are just picking up on these things . and it appears that those on here who obviously have a dislike for him are blowing then all out of proportion to make him appear to be some sort of monster, criminal/menace to society

I'd still listen to the music ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whether we like Matt or not, the bottom line is, someone is behind this decision to try and make him look bad in the press and in view of the relationship these industries have with one another (where the opinion of the man in the street is not really that important TO THEM), my only thought is that Matt should become conservative about what he says to the press. I think the toilet thing was done to make him look ridiculous. I am glad he won the X Factor because I actually felt he had the best voice, but I hate the way Simon Cowell can get rid of people who he isn't interested in. If Cowell cared to he would be playing this differently, I genuinely believe he wants Matt to ruin his own reputation. While individual devotion to Matt Cardle is sweet and endearing, the bigger picture is that music execs don't canvass members of the publis when making decisions about artists, they turn to the press. Matt BEWARE!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To me Matt's experience with drink, drugs, the opposite sex, minor run ins with the police when younger seems no different to a lot of 27 year old males (and females) .. he's not a child so he's bound to have had a "past" and the papers are just picking up on these things . and it appears that those on here who obviously have a dislike for him are blowing then all out of proportion to make him appear to be some sort of monster, criminal/menace to society

Absolutely! What kind of successful rock/pop star is as vanilla as an XFactor winner? Matt is meant to be different - a real, interesting person with flaws and a past life like most people- not a politician running for office. Does anyone think people will be put off buying his album if its good because he had beer spilled down his front or said he was unfaithful?? There are a core who will think hes not 'nice' - Daily Mail hardcore please stand up- but what does that matter int he greater scheme of things ? He has a fanbase who dont care about vanilla and thats pretty good for an Xfactor winner. It feels like in here many people are conditioned to think bland is best but lkets face it - has it worked til now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think whether we like Matt or not, the bottom line is, someone is behind this decision to try and make him look bad in the press and in view of the relationship these industries have with one another (where the opinion of the man in the street is not really that important TO THEM), my only thought is that Matt should become conservative about what he says to the press. I think the toilet thing was done to make him look ridiculous. I am glad he won the X Factor because I actually felt he had the best voice, but I hate the way Simon Cowell can get rid of people who he isn't interested in. If Cowell cared to he would be playing this differently, I genuinely believe he wants Matt to ruin his own reputation. While individual devotion to Matt Cardle is sweet and endearing, the bigger picture is that music execs don't canvass members of the publis when making decisions about artists, they turn to the press. Matt BEWARE!!!

I respect your opinion but I very much disagree. Music execs will turn to the press yes, and if you're not in there they take note. If youre front page news they also take note. Its why Cher is seen as hot property - attention is the holy grail when allied to talent. In the past winners have been portrayed as sweet, bland, nice...and whats happened?

ETA The toilet thing makes him seem down to earth not ridiculous. The Star are on his side largely as are the Sun now.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Matt is meant to be different - a real, interesting person

In what way exactly is he supposed to be interesting? He swears a lot. He smokes a lot. He drinks a lot. He sh*gs a lot. He was locked up by the police once for being drunk. He's bummed around for the last 10 years.

Is that really your definition of an 'interesting' person??

:confused:
  • Options
    Queen MaeveQueen Maeve Posts: 22,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't seem to have had much media training. It could go wrong for him if he doesn't choose his words more carefully, unless Cowell is giving him rope to hang himself with so that he can pave the way for another act. I can't blame Matt for soaking up all the attention and I doubt he'd have any control over the way the press edit him, BUT he is giving them ammo and is becoming less likeable by the day - of course not in the eyes of his fans - he needs to cool it a little because he isn't established yet and if he becomes more famous for having beer spilled down his front, the women, and the things he says he runs the risk of it overshadowing his music.

oh lord talk about over reaction - spilling beer down his front, yes career on the skids :rolleyes:

For the last week he's had journos wheeled in to interview him - must get tad boring answering the same questions over and over again, but he's answered questions honestly and not been ubber bland either.

He's never going to satisfy everyone out there, but I doubt he'll be under as much scutiny as he is now until he's on the PR circus for his album.