Ways to represent the UK more equally

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I would like to see all the countries of our United Kingdom get an equal opportunity to represent us at Eurovision.

Could it be possible for all the countries to enter our own individual entry - one from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Or perhaps to rotate it, so that an act from each country gets a chance every 4 years?

Instead of England all the time :p (typical Scots comment lol)

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Send 4 separate entries...then we might actually get some points.
  • AsbestosInfernoAsbestosInferno Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Well, the Scots could become independent in 2014, so you never know! But yes, I think it's kind of unfair on the Scottish and the Welsh - I swear the UK is the only participant in Eurovision to not be considered a "country", but a selection of countries.

It would also be interesting to see how many points they give us! :P getting only 5 points from our ONLY neighbours is kind of embarassing!
  • madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for a common sense thread because some of what I've read tonight I wondered if the Europeans had been posting. Nice to see some loyalty OP - NICE THREAD X
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    I would like to see all the countries of our United Kingdom get an equal opportunity to represent us at Eurovision.

Could it be possible for all the countries to enter our own individual entry - one from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Or perhaps to rotate it, so that an act from each country gets a chance every 4 years?

Instead of England all the time :p (typical Scots comment lol)

I sent a format to the BBC suggesting something similar and they said they had tried these sort of programmes before and that they would NOT be considering anything along these lines in the future.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Scots could become independent in 2014, so you never know! But yes, I think it's kind of unfair on the Scottish and the Welsh - I swear the UK is the only participant in Eurovision to not be considered a "country", but a selection of countries.

It would also be interesting to see how many points they give us! :P getting only 5 points from our ONLY neighbours is kind of embarassing!

The Netherlands is a group of small nations too.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for a common sense thread because some of what I've read tonight I wondered if the Europeans had been posting. Nice to see some loyalty OP - NICE THREAD X

Cheers man :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I sent a format to the BBC suggesting something similar and they said they had tried these sort of programmes before and that they would NOT be considering anything along these lines in the future.

I don't remember them ever trying anything like that...

Maybe they could split the UK into regions and we could vote for an act, a wee bit similar to how they used to do The Record of the Year on ITV.

Scotland could indeed be our own nation in 10 years time, we might have more chance then lol. But at this moment in time, we are still the United Kingdom and should be working together. I think the Scotland situation has arisen because of a London-centric BBC taking all the decisions for us.

I know it's only a song contest, but it's an important part of our identity that keeps getting constantly ignored. I'm sure Wales and Northern Ireland must feel the same, even the northern regions of England.

The one plus side is that if we did all enter seperately, we could get each other's 12 points lol! I also agree that it's a bit frustrating that we get only 5 points from our only land bordering neighbour.
  • PlundermotPlundermot Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    As I understand it, it's the national broadcasting companies who enter -- so if an independent Scotland makes a break from the BBC then they'll be able to enter Eurovision themselves.

In other words -- not gonna happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plundermot wrote: »
    As I understand it, it's the national broadcasting companies who enter -- so if an independent Scotland makes a break from the BBC then they'll be able to enter Eurovision themselves.

In other words -- not gonna happen.

Yeah, I thought that would probably be the case. Although considering the amount of money that the BBC contributes and the fact that the UK is still a collection of 4 countries, I'm sure the BBC would be able to negotiate something with the EBU. Technically BBC Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the seperate public service broadcasters of each country.

If that doesn't work, then we'll just have to go independent - to simply win a song contest! :p