Dickenson Real Deal...smug sellers

MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
Forum Member
✭✭
I get really annoyed with how smug some of those people are who are selling...the older women are the worst. "I want a lot more please"....:mad:

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of these daytime TV programmes involving members of the public are similar in that people "just want to be on telly!"

My wife records and watches "Escape to the Country" which she says has similar people. She says she likes watching these sort of programmes but they are all "sleep inducing" so she often has to run them through several times, before she's seen the whole programme.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well just now this old bird had a small table and the dealer was laying out the 50 pound notes and she just sat their smirking and refusing to say anything...I could have slapped her. Definitely some of these folks like to make out they are 'tough customers'. Greedy and deluded more like are some of them with the rubbish they bring in.
    I get a lot of satisfaction when they choose to go to auction and then make only a fraction of what the dealer offered...:D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    The ones that get my goat are the ones who say it's their treasure/means everything to them/so much family history ... Why are you selling it then? and expect the dealer to pay a high price for their memories :mad:
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greedy and self deluded? As compared to some of the dealers who always try to winkle out what they paid - or say it didn't cost them anything because it was Granny's and try to give them a mere fraction of the value? Surely the punters are made aware of the 'independent valuers' view before they go on camera - and this is why they hold out. Granted, some of them think that if that's what it's worth, that's what they want - and the dealers have to have some room for profit.

A recent case was a group of medals - something I know about - where even the independent valuers' estimate was off by about 25%. They were worth about £2000. Opening offer? £250, and he was mighty offended when it was turned down. He still managed to buy them for £900!
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What irritates me about this show is that the buyers ask the sellers what figure they have in mind every time, and are always met with 'I couldn't say' or 'Start putting money down' or the like. Quite obviously the sellers are told not to say (so that we can see whether or not the buyers will match or exceed the auctioneer's estimate), so why the silly little charade of asking? The buyers know fine well that they're not going to be told what the sellers want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get really annoyed with how smug some of those people are who are selling...the older women are the worst. "I want a lot more please"....:mad:

I call them selfish. You wont get more money for your crap either accept the deal or throw it in the bin.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Greedy and self deluded? As compared to some of the dealers who always try to winkle out what they paid - or say it didn't cost them anything because it was Granny's and try to give them a mere fraction of the value? Surely the punters are made aware of the 'independent valuers' view before they go on camera - and this is why they hold out. Granted, some of them think that if that's what it's worth, that's what they want - and the dealers have to have some room for profit.

A recent case was a group of medals - something I know about - where even the independent valuers' estimate was off by about 25%. They were worth about £2000. Opening offer? £250, and he was mighty offended when it was turned down. He still managed to buy them for £900!

There was a great one the other week, when the valuer, valued a collection of tribal masks, shield and spears at about £250-£400 they sold for over £30k turned out one of the shields was an Aboriginal heirloom. Hope the valuer got his ass kicked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you know anything about French WWI medals...? I have a couple that we found in the old house we owned in France belonging to the family who owned the house decades earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a great one the other week, when the valuer, valued a collection of tribal masks, shield and spears at about £250-£400 they sold for over £30k turned out one of the shields was an Aboriginal heirloom. Hope the valuer got his ass kicked.

Oooo...if you mean Australian Aboriginal heirloom then I hope the seller kept a low profile because they get mighty sensitive about stuff like that - their culture, their history dah-de-dah - the tribe it came from would want a cut:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite dealer though is the guy with all the bling...love him;)
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wht do they have all those people peering through the back panels...They annoy me..:(
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wht do they have all those people peering through the back panels...They annoy me..:(

They are there as eye candy, like Top of the Pop's.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    They are there as eye candy, like Top of the Pop's.

Blimey...Are they the best eye candy ITV can do....:D
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you know anything about French WWI medals...? I have a couple that we found in the old house we owned in France belonging to the family who owned the house decades earlier.

Not worth much in England, may be more valuable in France.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member

They often seem to be with the seller, who will sometimes check with them if the offer is high enough. Maybe they are just shy and don't want to be on tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey...Are they the best eye candy ITV can do....:D

They are the parma violets of the antiques audience!
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Not worth much in England, may be more valuable in France.

Don't count on it, sight unseen.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    I take the opposite view. Its the buyers who wind me up; or at least some of them.Some of them are so tight and in some cases absolutely refuse to go any higher. Then at the end of the show we see that they have made a huge profit. To me that just seems like a rip off.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    I take the opposite view. Its the buyers who wind me up; or at least some of them.Some of them are so tight and in some cases absolutely refuse to go any higher. Then at the end of the show we see that they have made a huge profit. To me that just seems like a rip off.

What huge profits? I haven't seen any, £10, £20, wouldn't even pay their petrol to get there. It's not all profit, they have overheads, rent, rates, electric, heating, staff , etc and they want a wage out of it. Some weekend fairs charge £200-- £300 to stand for 2 days, and some of the big London fairs can charge £1000s. for a stand. Days standing at auctions to buy just one or two items which need to make a days wages. Many dealers I know are working for minimum wage but just love what they are doing. David Dickinson annoys me when he says just twist his arm for another £50 and then at the end of the show we see they have made a loss. If it is so easy why don't you have a go yourself.?
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite dealer though is the guy with all the bling...love him;)

Me too ! !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well just now this old bird had a small table and the dealer was laying out the 50 pound notes and she just sat their smirking and refusing to say anything...I could have slapped her. Definitely some of these folks like to make out they are 'tough customers'. Greedy and deluded more like are some of them with the rubbish they bring in.
    I get a lot of satisfaction when they choose to go to auction and then make only a fraction of what the dealer offered...:D

Me too..a dealer would just say byeeee,I'm sure.
    I remember watching a woman who had a family heirloom given to a great aunt by someone famous and she sold it for apittance to have a day out in Alton Towers or some such..no soul, I reckon.
    I once helped a friend out on a stall..a woman came round after a little picture frame and kept asking for a ridiculous reduction. A the end (believing the rubbish that dealers will ALWAYS reduce athe end of the day)..she came back with a better offer but it being at the bottom of a box was told to p*** off."But you HAVE to sell to me"..Wrong!!!!;)
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    The ones that get my goat are the ones who say it's their treasure/means everything to them/so much family history ... Why are you selling it then? and expect the dealer to pay a high price for their memories :mad:

they are skint, and need the money.. they have bills to pay..
    or a holiday or a cruise..:eek:
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »

One or two of them are generous, especially Stewart Hofgartner who always seems to pay over the odds.

Mike Melody is a complete Scrooge though....it's like trying to extract blood from a stone.
  • Brian_GravesBrian_Graves Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I find the news of how much the dealers ended up profiting on the deals hard to believe, or is the whole picture - and is definitely not the way most dealers of anything make a profit - you don't regularly pay £400 for something to sell it for £420 for a £20 profit! Itchy chin. Mark up is more likely to be for at least a 50% profit or they wouldn't be interested/take the risk.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Mike Melody is a complete Scrooge though....it's like trying to extract blood from a stone.

This bloke gives me the creeps *shudder* there is just something about him :o