Options

Should I cancel my Virgin Installation and stick with Sky?

p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
Forum Member
I've currently got sky and have giving my 31 day notice to come over to Virgin Media. Been with Sky for about 7 years after moving from Virgin for the poor selection of HD channels. Always kept the phone and broadband from Virgin as best broadband speeds you can get in UK. I get two Virgin Media tivo boxes installed in a couple of weeks, Ive been reading on forums about noisey vibrating boxes and that they are really slow. Sky have called and offered me a good deal to stay.
Should I move to Virgin for my TV or stick with Sky.
Main reason im moving to Virgin as im saving quite a bit a month.

By the time the virgin is installed it will be after the 14 days cooling off period, so im locked into a 12mths contract.

Whats the pros of the tivo box? Are the boxes slow and noisy?

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have both Sky 2 Tb latest box and Virgin TIVO.

Sky is a swifter box but Tivo is not massively slower. Just a different way of going through menus that is less intuitive than Sky. Once you are used to it I would not really say it is a deal breaker. PQ is just as good as Sky on HD as well.

Sky is playing catch up with features that TIVO has like suggestions so they are not miles apart.

Of the pluses and minuses - the biggest I can see are that Sky has the best catch up service with lots of box sets etc. Virgin is not useless but not up to Sky's level.

On the other hand Virgin's search and ability to record stuff that you set up is brilliant and Sky is way behind. You can, for instance, name a band you like and months later when you have long forgotten it Tivo will find a TV show they are in or (better still) a radio programme and record it for you. Finding that kind of info, especially on radio, on Sky let alone the box just recording it for you without your involvement months after you first suggested it, is a none starter with the current Sky box.

The only serious channel miss not on Virgin is Sky Atlantic. But if you don't need that then the line ups are similar.

Plus Virgin is the cheapest way to watch all the football and the only way to do so on one bill.

If money is the key factor to you then Virgin will be fine for you and you might like some of the extras. Not least access to Netflix which I got free when signing up and you can easily access via the EPG.

I am happy with both to be honest. And if I had to choose one or the other price would be the determining factor as one is not massively better than the other. Just a bit different from one another.
  • Options
    p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Thank you very much Jaycee. Really helped. Think I will bite the bullet and go with Virgin. 12 months isn't really that long if I dont like it.
  • Options
    Randomguy1Randomguy1 Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p-gibson wrote: »
    Thank you very much Jaycee. Really helped. Think I will bite the bullet and go with Virgin. 12 months isn't really that long if I dont like it.

I'm sure you have 28 days or 30 days cooling off period where if u don't like it you can cancel.
  • Options
    Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I've heard much noise about noisey vibrating boxes with VM
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have both Sky 2 Tb latest box and Virgin TIVO.

Sky is a swifter box but Tivo is not massively slower. Just a different way of going through menus that is less intuitive than Sky. Once you are used to it I would not really say it is a deal breaker. PQ is just as good as Sky on HD as well.

Sky is playing catch up with features that TIVO has like suggestions so they are not miles apart.

Of the pluses and minuses - the biggest I can see are that Sky has the best catch up service with lots of box sets etc. Virgin is not useless but not up to Sky's level.

On the other hand Virgin's search and ability to record stuff that you set up is brilliant and Sky is way behind. You can, for instance, name a band you like and months later when you have long forgotten it Tivo will find a TV show they are in or (better still) a radio programme and record it for you. Finding that kind of info, especially on radio, on Sky let alone the box just recording it for you without your involvement months after you first suggested it, is a none starter with the current Sky box.

The only serious channel miss not on Virgin is Sky Atlantic. But if you don't need that then the line ups are similar.

Plus Virgin is the cheapest way to watch all the football and the only way to do so on one bill.

If money is the key factor to you then Virgin will be fine for you and you might like some of the extras. Not least access to Netflix which I got free when signing up and you can easily access via the EPG.

I am happy with both to be honest. And if I had to choose one or the other price would be the determining factor as one is not massively better than the other. Just a bit different from one another.

The Tivo "can" be a little noisy if positioned incorrectly due to the hard drive spin. However, little rubber pads under mine has made it mouse quiet.

Ps - that was a good unbiased review !
  • Options
    tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cancelled my Sky a while ago and took a Virgin tv offer. What i found was the Tivo box was not just slow but bloody annoying. Coming out of standby seems to take an age and it is so sluggish on most of its operations. When they put their package price up again i took the opportunity to get out of my contract and went back to Sky, who incidentally, gave me a very good deal to return.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    tellyman wrote: »
    I cancelled my Sky a while ago and took a Virgin tv offer. What i found was the Tivo box was not just slow but bloody annoying. Coming out of standby seems to take an age and it is so sluggish on most of its operations. When they put their package price up again i took the opportunity to get out of my contract and went back to Sky, who incidentally, gave me a very good deal to return.

in what way?

mines quite fast actually.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    Tivo can be slow to start up in the morning but I can cope with that. Other than that mine isn't slow at all. It may be slower than Sky+ but then it does more than it.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Tivo can be slow to start up in the morning but I can cope with that. Other than that mine isn't slow at all. It may be slower than Sky+ but then it does more than it.

Precisely it.

mine zips around just fine. infact both boxes do.

my only wish is to see more internet services. getting amazon on board would be good. I wonder what happened to the opera app store? see that's died a painful death.