Why don't children get taught other 'histories' ?

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
.... instead of the usual 1st and 2nd world wars ? - why not Vietnam ? - or the Cold War ? - or the Iran/Iraq war ? - or what happened in Lebanon ?

Is this a deliberate 'tactic' by our Government to set the agenda when it comes to past events ?

Very sinister... :cool:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    We did the European Reformation, Martin Luther, Erasmus, the Holy Roman Empire and all that when I was doing GCSE history. All very interesting, I thought.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think where our history is concered the first 2 world wars had a big impact directly on our country, where as the others were fought on forgein shores???

I remember being taught about the battle of hastings and have some memory of being taught about other older wars, and about the magna carta.

At primary age there isnt much time to fit in anything else, and at secondary its the same again, if someone is interested in wars and more detailed history maybe that is what college or uni is for?
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    .... instead of the usual 1st and 2nd world wars ? - why not Vietnam ? - or the Cold War ? - or the Iran/Iraq war ? - or what happened in Lebanon ?

Is this a deliberate 'tactic' by our Government to set the agenda when it comes to past events ?

Vietnam is important to the US, Iran/Iraq has no real relevance to the UK, and neither does Lebanon, so why should they be taught here? The UK (and Europe) has a long, chequered history that should be taught, long before any history from other cultures.
  • _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did the spanish civil war, the ottoman empire and stuff like that.
  • _Ash__Ash_ Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did stuff about the Arab/Israeli war when I was at school during the 80s.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For GCSE History we did WW1, WW2, The Russian Revolution, Ghandi and India

They cant teach everything that has happened in modern History in two years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    When I did GCSEs, they seemed to go on and on about the world wars, whilst prior to that it was a lot more varied and interesting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just let the wee yin watch Horrible Histories, then go go a googling if something interests her.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told nothing of British history in school. Our history was WW2 and American Indians.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think children of the future will ever be taught about 9/11 ? - or 7/7 ?

Actually, come to think of it, has the British government ever taught about the Troubles ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told nothing of British history in school. Our history was WW2 and American Indians.
    Could have sworn Britain had some involvement in WW2 :confused:
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    School teaches the basics, the rest of your life you pick up the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    Do you think children of the future will ever be taught about 9/11 ? - or 7/7 ?

Actually, come to think of it, has the British government ever taught about the Troubles ?
    I doubt it, unless they have already started covering other sensitive topics, like the IRA, unionists, sinn féin etc.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do in GCSE if they opt for it. I remember the Vietnam war - I was in my teens and twenties. So I was less than pleased when it started appearing on history syllabuses.:eek:
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schools are stuck with whatever curriculm the government enforces on them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Schools are stuck with whatever curriculm the government enforces on them.

the schools get a choice out of selected topics though I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For my History GCSE we learnt about WW1, Vietnam, The suffragettes, Jack the ripper, The cold war, and The Arab/Israeli conflict.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    Vietnam is important to the US, Iran/Iraq has no real relevance to the UK, and neither does Lebanon, so why should they be taught here? The UK (and Europe) has a long, chequered history that should be taught, long before any history from other cultures.
    All history has resonances for everyone. It is not the same as a La Liga lower division football result.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why not Vietnam ? - or the Cold War ?

I did History to GCSE level. We covered these two subjects, as well as the two world wars. Very interesting indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain can't be up it's own arse about these wars, hence not interesting. :)
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's not enough time in a school education to be taught facts about every event in history. The best they can do it install some interest into the past and get them through an exam.
    Personally I found most history lessons at school very tedious. I've read up on many things in my own time in the years since to extend my own knowledge.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Britain can't be up it's own arse about these wars, hence not interesting. :)

The way I was taught the two world wars didn't give that impression at all. I was left with the lasting impression that the allies had a great deal to answer for in the issues surrounding the causes of the second world war.
  • colnechriscolnechris Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember history.

Involved planning for the future, which of course meant the weekend.

Learnt more from the TV than I ever did in history. We didnt do anything about the war with ireland, korea, vietnam, the cold war. We did something about king henry one lesson.

Our history teacher was a Judge aswell and was hardly there so it was always stand ins taking the class and well they're rubbish.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could have sworn Britain had some involvement in WW2 :confused:

Nah-America won it single handed. Haven't you ever seen that movie about the Enigma code?:D
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have nothing against learning about the history of other countries later on at school but it makes sense to start with your own.