Options

What a dreadful series this is - 2011

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    *Venetia**Venetia* Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that it is not about learning to dance anymore but producing a 90 second routine very loosley based on a particular dance. Therefore no one learns much technique or
    improves week by week. One routine down and on to the next one. Every dance a showdance. Some people like that, I personally don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Could a Billy Ray Cyrus happen here?
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    I have just been spending some considerable time looking back at past winners and dancers on earlier SCD series and this brings me to the conclusion that this current one is the worst I've seen, from so many aspects.
    The main culprits being the standard of the amateurs, the behaviour of the judges and the general tawdriness of the whole presentation. This culminated in the dreadful, gawdy, noisy shambles that was the show from Wembley at the weekend.

I have always been critical of the types of music chosen for the dances but this series has to be the worst ever. Even as a once ballroom dancer, if I don't concentrate of the programme, I am sometimes at a loss to know which dance they are supposed to be dancing as, invariably, the music gives no clues whatsoever.

I had high hopes, perhaps, for Harry J but fear that he won't win, now. A female dancer (say, Chelsee) may stand a chance as she can be dragged around the floor by her professional partner

The producers have got a lot to answer for, in this current SCD shambles.
    I see you posted this before last Saturday when we witnessed Chelsee dancing solo for a good 30 seconds at the opening of their samba (that's 33% of the routine) and much of the rest was spent out of hold. In fact, having watched it again on youtube, I'll wager that we saw Chelsee dancing solo for good 50% of the time (maybe more.)
  • Options
    WiskasWiskas Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Venetia* wrote: »
    The problem is that it is not about learning to dance anymore but producing a 90 second routine very loosley based on a particular dance. Therefore no one learns much technique or
    improves week by week. One routine down and on to the next one. Every dance a showdance. Some people like that, I personally don't.

*applause* well said. Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with all of your post, but particularly the bit above because I think the level of stage management is a huge part of the problem. There's quite a big car park in front of Television Studios! ;)

Servalan you know I'm going to say I agree with you don't you? :D

Hurrah - we're back in sync! ;):D

I really wish I didn't feel so indifferent towards all the contestants. I haven't been in the slightest motivated to pick up the phone yet. Chez Servalan, we're just watching purely out of habit, in the hope that there'll be a moment when something suddenly clicks - but, at the rate we are going, I'm not holding my breath ... :(

I don't think the PTB have much idea (or regard) about the disquiet among hardcore SCD-ers that's evident in this thread. However, I suspect Russell's exit may have caught everyone by surprise. Radio Times didn't go to town on him with their cover and big feature this week for nothing - they must have had some kind of insider info about his popularity to go so OTT. Now they've been left with egg on their faces - but I fear it would take the ratings to nosedive for Moira Ross and co to realise that all is not as well as they think ...
  • Options
    yenstonyenston Posts: 2,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with every word. It's difficult to say if this years celebs really are worse than in previous years because they aren't being given the opportunity to dance to the best of their ability.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To some extent I blame the reduced training time before the series starts for that and perhaps the teaching experience of the pros.

The couples used to have a longer pre-series training time and the pros would teach basics before they would start on a routine (I remember Anton talking about it). IIRC occasionally talented couples sometimes started on their second routine in the pre-series training too. It sounds to me that the couples may now train less hours each week too, although that might be partly down to all the PR appearances each couple makes now.

I do remember though Matt Dawson, saying he was at some family occasion and thinking he'd be okay after nearly winning with Lilia, he got up to dance with someone - and couldn't remember how to start! He said it brought home to him how much Lilia was carrying him! :D
    Servalan wrote: »

I really wish I didn't feel so indifferent towards all the contestants. I haven't been in the slightest motivated to pick up the phone yet. Chez Servalan, we're just watching purely out of habit, in the hope that there'll be a moment when something suddenly clicks - but, at the rate we are going, I'm not holding my breath ... :(

I don't think the PTB have much idea (or regard) about the disquiet among hardcore SCD-ers that's evident in this thread. However, I suspect Russell's exit may have caught everyone by surprise. Radio Times didn't go to town on him with their cover and big feature this week for nothing - they must have had some kind of insider info about his popularity to go so OTT. Now they've been left with egg on their faces - but I fear it would take the ratings to nosedive for Moira Ross and co to realise that all is not as well as they think ...

BIB - We are the same á Chez Buddy and I didn't vote at all last series either. :(

I never twigged about the RT cover - bet you are right! :cool:
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem for some as I see it, is a dearth of watchable family entertainment programmes on the TV on Saturday night. (I don't consider X-Factor as watchable) so not many alternatives.
    But I don't find it compulsive viewing any more, I record it and watch it later, missing out all the hype and nonsense, you can get through it that way very quickly.
    There's no contestant I'd call a "star" although the BBC think that way about Jason Donovan, I've never considered him as such.
  • Options
    Bob EvansBob Evans Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem for some as I see it, is a dearth of watchable family entertainment programmes on the TV on Saturday night. (I don't consider X-Factor as watchable) so not many alternatives.
    But I don't find it compulsive viewing any more, I record it and watch it later, missing out all the hype and nonsense, you can get through it that way very quickly.

When you recors SCD & X-Factor it is amazing how little real content there is in it by the time you take out the adds and the endless repeating of bits of performances and other padding you end up with about 20 minutes material out of an hour long program
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Evans wrote: »
    When you recors SCD & X-Factor it is amazing how little real content there is in it by the time you take out the adds and the endless repeating of bits of performances and other padding you end up with about 20 minutes material out of an hour long program

How very true that is. You can save a lot of wasted time if you FF Bruce, Tess, Bruno's babblings and the hopeless, amateurish squirm-inducing VTs.

Just who do they think their target market is for those VTs? Your average house budgie? The cat?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Bob Evans wrote: »
    This year none are giving outstanding performances. Chelsea is currently the best but that is still quite an average standard

I agree. The pros seem to agree too: most of them don't trust their celebrities to be able to dance! That is one reason for so much 'faffing' this year.

Tonight's show: Robbie's samba content? Not much and poorly danced. Anita? I lost count of the heel leads....

Holly just doesn't seem to be able to produce a performance and Alex still has no conviction in what she does.

Best of a poor bunch: Jason, who is suffering from the physical demands and Chelsea and Harry who both danced the dance without gimmicks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never twigged about the RT cover - bet you are right! :cool:

There should be even more egg on faces at the Radio Times and probably in Moira Ross' office, as well, given the new RT namechecks Grant yet again as being one of the probable contenders for next Saturday's 'movie special' ...

I felt more dispirited than ever watching last night's show. However technically good Harry's quickstep may have been - and it was, to be fair - he has even less personality than Rachel Stevens. I read people praising him on here as 'such a nice, unassuming boy' (that's me paraphrasing) and my heart sinks. Nobody would ever say that about a female contestant. At least Gethin, Tom and Chris had a kind of cheeky charm about them, and Matt (di Angelo) had a kind of bad boy character ... all far preferable to nothing whatsoever.

If Robbie's dancing was getting better, rather than worse, I'd probably support him because at least there is something to the guy ... I'm now just hoping that he stays in and sees off at least one of the producers'/judges' darlings, to wipe the smiles off their smug faces ...

I used to love Strictly. What has Moira Ross done to me?!? :eek:
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each to their own I guess but for me this has been the best show ever. No runaway leader, 'entertainment' contestants leaving before they have outstayed their welcome, creative choreography and unconventional music choices, Bruno has toned it down a fraction, Craig has limited the personal comments and the celebs seem to be a nice friendly bunch who don't feel the need to 'act' except when they are actually performing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mandyxxxx wrote: »
    Each to their own I guess but for me this has been the best show ever. No runaway leader, 'entertainment' contestants leaving before they have outstayed their welcome, creative choreography and unconventional music choices, Bruno has toned it down a fraction, Craig has limited the personal comments and the celebs seem to be a nice friendly bunch who don't feel the need to 'act' except when they are actually performing.

I'm glad someone is enjoying this series, but - BIB ...

Bruno toned it down this week - but hasn't done anything remotely like that previously. His slavvering over Harry has been embarrassing to watch - to say the least - and I have to wonder if complaints have forced the producers to turn down the drooling ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad someone is enjoying this series, but - BIB ...

Bruno toned it down this week - but hasn't done anything remotely like that previously. His slavvering over Harry has been embarrassing to watch - to say the least - and I have to wonder if complaints have forced the producers to turn down the drooling ...

I wondered tonight if the messages were getting through.

Listened very carefully to Claudia tonight and there were no more references to watching 'last night's show' from home.
  • Options
    CoronisCoronis Posts: 24,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone notice the similarities between Alex's Charlston to Chris Hollins' routine? :o I think James borrowed a few moves.
  • Options
    shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason didn't start dancing until 30 secs in. I counted deliberately because he never dances for the full length of the dance.

The judges made no reference to it at all - suprise, suprise!
  • Options
    millie3millie3 Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronis wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the similarities between Alex's Charlston to Chris Hollins' routine? :o I think James borrowed a few moves.

Yes I did, although they all seem to look a bit similar. Jason's has been the best for me this series.
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    Could a Billy Ray Cyrus happen here?

Why? What happened? :confused:
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    Why? What happened? :confused:

I can only remember him being a bit bad and finishing 5th - which seeing as Kenny Logan was/did the same I'd say 'yes' :D
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show is too glossy for me now. I haven't really seen any improvement fro anyone and the VT's are awful.

There are some likable contestants but their personalities are not coming through on the dance floor.

I used to make sure I didn't miss SCD. Now I couldn't care less if I missed it and I never watch the results show any longer.
  • Options
    floppersfloppers Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it a bit of a gamble anyway for the producers? They choose a group of celebs and hope some of them will become good dancers, some will become viewer favourites, some will be the comedy contestants etc. And at the beginning you never quite know which celeb will develop which way - that is what makes it interesting.

The BBC has followed the same formula that has worked in the past - a sportsman, a couple of former soap actresses, an older woman, a BBC presenter, an ITV presenter, a former politician etc. In previous years this gave us Natasha Kaplinsky, Mark Ramprakash, Chris Hollins, Kara Tointon, and yes, Ann Widdecombe. This year it just seems that, apart from Russell and maybe Harry, no one is really either developing as a great dancer or engaging with the audience enough to become a viewer favourite.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    I am glad that someone posted this. I cannot remember the last Strictly series when I could not care less who won.
    I've even taken to fast forwarding most of the show except the dances and judges comments as I feel I need to see what happens, but am not invested at all.
    I know that it is a gamble pitching the celebs in and seeing what works - for me, nothing does this series.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    The show is too glossy for me now. I haven't really seen any improvement from anyone and the VT's are awful.

There are some likable contestants but their personalities are not coming through on the dance floor.

I used to make sure I didn't miss SCD. Now I couldn't care less if I missed it and I never watch the results show any longer.

I've mentioned elsewhere how this could be a far better show if the BBC weren't so intent on beating the X-Factor in the ratings. It might be good for some at "bonus time," but how does this competitive mania benefit the licence payer who was happy with the original format?