Options

This morning - Jades parents

mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone see This Mornings interview with Jade Andersons parents (The girl who was savaged by dogs recently).

I'm just wondering if i'm the only one who found it uncomfortable viewing?

They were clearly heartbroken, very very quiet and struggling to answer any of the questions Phillip asked them about changes in the law etc

It all just seemed too soon, and like he was asking them questions they clearly didn't know the answer to.

It was obvious they weren't prepared, and although Philip and Holly said at the start of the interview that these parents wanted to be there to talk about their petition, it just wasn't right.

Comments

• Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you're not the only one. I had to turn over, it was just too soon. I felt so sorry for them:(
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree this was a big miscalculation by This Morning.

It needs an inquest as to whether the quest to get 'the first interview' overtook good judgement over taste and respect.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know this show is a bit bad at timing things, but dog attacks have risen by 500 per cent in the last 20 years and beside me we have a bedsit where a rottweiler and a bull terrier are kept. I can remember as a kid in the early eighties vicious dogs were a problem on some estates, then it seemed to die down in the nineties, but is becoming a problem again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. My friend has owned and loved German Shepherds for years, and she's always saying how sweet they are. If you bring up a dog to be aggressive, it's going to be aggressive, it's these idiots who buy these intimidating breeds like Rottweilers and Pitbulls and purposely train them to fight against other weaker dogs. It's disgusting and inhumane, and the poor dogs know no other life.

Unfortunately we can't always tell when a puppy is going to a good, loving home, sometimes you just have to hope for the best.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this in between paper work (working from home today) and found it very distressing so much so I turned over a few minutes in.
  • Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairy9178 wrote: »
    There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. My friend has owned and loved German Shepherds for years, and she's always saying how sweet they are. If you bring up a dog to be aggressive, it's going to be aggressive, it's these idiots who buy these intimidating breeds like Rottweilers and Pitbulls and purposely train them to fight against other weaker dogs. It's disgusting and inhumane, and the poor dogs know no other life.

Unfortunately we can't always tell when a puppy is going to a good, loving home, sometimes you just have to hope for the best.

As Phil said in a previous This Morning, deaths by savage dogs is very rare, 1 per year or something, people are more likely to die trying to save their pets.

I can't see how we can legislate for a 1 in a 60 000 000 chance of death.

This Morning is losing the plot these days, they should stick to cooking and fashion tips.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this wrong. It's much too soon, although I admire their reasoning behind their appearance.

I think This Morning were at ault here, seems that ratings are all they care about.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were definitely not ready to do this interview, but I guess if they employed a spokesperson to put their case a bit more articulately the armchair critics would start accusing them of bring too media savvy and trying to somehow profit by their daughters death. It was very uncomfortable to watch.i thought Philip was a bit insensitive in saying we can't picture the last moments and then speculating on what might have happened.

Can't believe the dogs owner had another dog which was caged, presumably so it was safe from the bigger dogs.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I had ITV on in the background but turned it off before this segment aired. However, I did see the intro where they said what they would be talking about that day and they looked sad as they said they'd be interviewing them and then straight away moved on to a lighter piece (probably celebrities or BGT or something) and Holly had this big grin on her face. I thought that was insensitive so probably a good thing I didn't see the full thing going by comments on here.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Phil said in a previous This Morning, deaths by savage dogs is very rare, 1 per year or something, people are more likely to die trying to save their pets.

I can't see how we can legislate for a 1 in a 60 000 000 chance of death.

This Morning is losing the plot these days, they should stick to cooking and fashion tips.

But according to the NHS there are 6,000 cases of dog bites requiring hospital treatment each year in the UK.
  • Options
    LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree this was a big miscalculation by This Morning.

It needs an inquest as to whether the quest to get 'the first interview' overtook good judgement over taste and respect.

The parents had the opportunity to refuse to do the interview.

What struck me was that they didn't really know what they were doing in terms of campaigning. And as already pointed out, dog attacks are extremely rare. Whilst compulsory chipping is coming in and you can already be prosecuted for owning a dangerous dog, I'm not really sure where the campaign is going.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member

I do so agree with what you have said. My lovely old German Shepherd was a rescued dog and goodness knows what sort of a life he had before I found him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did not see the programme but saw a trailer for the interview last week and was staggered it was taking place so quickly. Has the poor girl even been buried yet?

All seems wrong and then I bet there was something lighthearted straight after the interview......like best buy bras from Supermarkets or something equally crass.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the aftermath of a traumatic event people are not in their right mind.

II would say that This Morning were exploiting these people.
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    In the aftermath of a traumatic event people are not in their right mind.

II would say that This Morning were exploiting these people.

I don't think This Morning forced them on the show. It may be "too early" to talk about - but how do we know it wasn't them who wanted to do it to help anyone else where this could happen (no matter how rare it is)
    maybe the this morning team offered them any help afterwards..also them coming on TV can give them some support from viewers comments etc
    It isn't our place to decide when people grieving are ready or not to do what they want. If I lost a loved one I would be proud to speak about them and remember them publically - so why can't they?
  • Options
    MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My god, I would still be under sedation if I was in their position. I saw some of the interview, not all, but I feel this couple really need support and counselling and care themselves before they start campaigning for the necessary changes to the dog laws. Definitely the owner should be prosecuted, people have to be made accountable for the damage their dogs do both on private and public property, it is just not right that your dog can savage a house guest to death and you not be held responsible just because it happened in your home. An undisciplined, savage dog owned by an irresponsible person is as dangerous as a loaded gun in an untrained hand. If people want a guard dog then there are ways to acquire one that is properly trained, licensed and wont simply rip someone to pieces, but the owner must be trained to handle it. These dogs were loose cannons in the situation they were living in, the owner herself could have been the victim in similar circumstances because the dogs pack leader was no human, it was the dominant dog in that particular pack. When they are better able to cope I hope the parents pursue this so that we don't hear about another Jade. Poor little girl :cry:
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I don't think This Morning forced them on the show. It may be "too early" to talk about - but how do we know it wasn't them who wanted to do it to help anyone else where this could happen (no matter how rare it is)
    maybe the this morning team offered them any help afterwards..also them coming on TV can give them some support from viewers comments etc
    It isn't our place to decide when people grieving are ready or not to do what they want. If I lost a loved one I would be proud to speak about them and remember them publically - so why can't they?

I just watched this and so heartbreaking. Yes they wanted to come on the show even tho they were really struggling to talk. Cannot begin to think how they feel.

I think it was more to promote the petition and only they can get across the need for regulations on dogs. I was glad they are not just blaming the 2 breeds involved in the attack as any dog will attack with the wrong owner.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression people doing campaigns actually asked to go on it? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no bad dogs, just bad owners.

Is it nature vs nurture? Would anyone say 'there are no bad lions, just bad owners.' Bet you wouldn't trust one with your child though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lfp2qIDy2A
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it nature vs nurture? Would anyone say 'there are no bad lions, just bad owners.' Bet you wouldn't trust one with your child though.

BUt a Lion is a wild animal not a domesticated animal :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Quinnx3 wrote: »
    Did not see the programme but saw a trailer for the interview last week and was staggered it was taking place so quickly. Has the poor girl even been buried yet?

All seems wrong and then I bet there was something lighthearted straight after the interview......like best buy bras from Supermarkets or something equally crass.
    I do so agree. This Morning should wait for an inquest to place before it dives into interviews like that. It's uncomfortable viewing.
    It is a magazine show and every segment is followed up by fluffy stuff like that wretched "how would you like to win..." competition VT. Grrr...:mad:
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But according to the NHS there are 6,000 cases of dog bites requiring hospital treatment each year in the UK.

Being drunk is a big cause of injury too but no ones about to suggest we should stop drinking.

More people die whilst trying to put their trousers on each year - falling over and banging their heads - than die at the hands of a dog and thousands are killed or seriously injured in car accidents.

Several people die whilst drunk because they do something stupid, like messing around near water or crossing roads when it's not safe.

People who use a mobile phone whilst driving are statistically more dangerous to other people than dogs.

1-2 deaths a year from dogs is a very very low figure really, though more needs to be done about bad owners, especially if they have more than one dog because that's when pack mentality can kick in.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lions haven't been domesticated over thousands of years. :confused: Poodles don't occur in the willd..

Of course all dogs have the potential to bite - they still have some natural instincts in them - you just can't compare a dog with a lion.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

You cannot compare a wild animal against a pet.