Ebay issue buyer wont return item want partial refund

gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
Forum Member
Hi

I sold a tablet for £180 on ebay

the buyer says its partly faulty as iplayer is blocky and wants a partial £90 refund
it was ok as i used it for months with no issues so said could be his internet?

but I offered a full refund if he returned it

he just say he wont return it and just wants £90

hes put in a dispute and my paypal is now negative £190

looking at his feedback she done this before not returning items

what happens if she doesnt return it?

how long before ebay return me to a normal and put the £190 in my paypal?

Comments

• ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Tell them that if he returns the item you'll refund his payment in full. As far as I am aware that is your only obligation, and eBay shouldn't be blocking payment until the item is returned.

Partial refunds are at the discretion of the seller, the only time you have to give him money back is if he returns the item as sold to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer-only problems means there's something wrong with their internet, not the iPad.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    iPlayer-only problems means there's something wrong with their internet, not the iPad.

this is what i said i told her to change the settings to low quality

she just keeps saying she wants £90 and she "cant be bothered" to send it back
    Forum Member
    Tell them that if he returns the item you'll refund his payment in full. As far as I am aware that is your only obligation, and eBay shouldn't be blocking payment until the item is returned.

Partial refunds are at the discretion of the seller, the only time you have to give him money back is if he returns the item as sold to you.

as its a dispute they take the money from my paypal sending it negative

obviously if they find in my favour the give it me back

i was wonder how long it takes?
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member

No return, no refund. Tell her and eBay that. eBay doesn't have the right to withhold your money if the buyer chooses not to return the item. Once the dispute is settled eBay will free up the disputed payment, but only once the dispute is closed.
  • ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    If they've opened the dispute in eBay it will be 8 days until one of you can escalate it. Just keep saying you're happy to refund in full once the item is returned. This is all ebay will require. Chances are your buyer won't bother returning, so you won't have to refund.

They will probably leave you negative feedback, but you will be able to get it removed if they have threatened to leave bad feedback unless you give them a partial refund, or if they mention anything about a dispute in their feedback comments. If you can't get it removed, you can reply to the feedback - keep calm and factual, something like 'buyer was offered full refund on return' and I doubt it will put off future buyers.
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    He or she??...not that it matters i suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's a scammer. Why would she possibly think she deserves to keep the item and get an additional £90 on top?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to say something along the lines of "oh yes, I'd love to refund £90. Unfortunately I can't be bothered logging into my paypal account".

Outside of the official ebay communication channels of course ;)
    Forum Member
    mtj wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to say something along the lines of "oh yes, I'd love to refund £90. Unfortunately I can't be bothered logging into my paypal account".

Outside of the official ebay communication channels of course ;)

:)

this is the bit that gets me

does she really think im just gonna give her £90 on her say so? it doesnt make sense? if it was £2 i might just refund as cant be bothered but £90? on something i know works fine no way

well 10/10 for trying i suppose

im wondering if anyone actually fall for it
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure all mail goes through official channels so there is a record of the arse that she is spouting;.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was 50% a partial refund! What a cow for trying it on! Stick to your guns!
    Forum Member
    its very annoying as i now have to wait a week for her to either escalate to a claim or not

i dont know how long after that ebay put the money back in my paypal??

if she does nothing and is just trying it on
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the item does get returned make sure it is the actual one you sent and not a duffer the buyer had already
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was 50% a partial refund! What a cow for trying it on! Stick to your guns!

She shouldn't even be getting a partial refund as it appears there's nothing wrong with the item. It's her internet connection which is causing the problem with iPlayer.

The OP should just stick to having the item back with a full refund or she keeps it.

Incredibly annoying when you get chancers like this on eBay though! :mad:
  • horseychick28horseychick28 Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ratty123 wrote: »
    If they've opened the dispute in eBay it will be 8 days until one of you can escalate it. Just keep saying you're happy to refund in full once the item is returned. This is all ebay will require. Chances are your buyer won't bother returning, so you won't have to refund.

They will probably leave you negative feedback, but you will be able to get it removed if they have threatened to leave bad feedback unless you give them a partial refund, or if they mention anything about a dispute in their feedback comments. If you can't get it removed, you can reply to the feedback - keep calm and factual, something like 'buyer was offered full refund on return' and I doubt it will put off future buyers.

The feedback will be extortion so you will be able to get it removed and the chances are they will lose their account too
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    If the item does get returned make sure it is the actual one you sent and not a duffer the buyer had already

this is my worry

either a faulty one or a brick in a box

not heard from them

does anyone know how long i have to wait if they dont return it before its all settled
  • ratty123ratty123 Posts: 144
    Forum Member
    Well 8 days after she's opened the case, one of you will be able to escalate it. Ebay will review the case which doesn't usually take more than a day or 2.

99% of the time ebay will tell her to return the item for a full refund. They'll give her 10 days to return! So unfortunately you'll have to wait, unless she closes the case, even if she has no intention of returning.

There is a very slim chance that ebay will refund the buyer out of their own pocket with a no fault refund, but I can't see it happening here. If that does happen your money will be unfrozen straight away.

If it isn't your item that she returns, you can appeal to ebay. As this is quite rare, I have heard that ebay will refund you.