Options

There, their, they're - is it just a minority can spell properly?!

Comments

• Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did derive great pleasure from pointing out to a friend who has a University education that the 1000 business cards he had got printed included the erroneous line " No Job To Small ".

[ that is wrong ain't it ? ]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I am so smart, I am so smart! S-M-R-T! I mean S-M-A-R-T..." (Homer Simpson) :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did derive great pleasure from pointing out to a friend who has a University education that the 1000 business cards he had got printed included the erroneous line " No Job To Small ".

Ouch. :D
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[ that is wrong ain't it ? ]
    Oops.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these mistakes literally make my blood boil!
    :)

Two more which annoy me:

People wrongly spelling "computer program" as "computer programme".

People wrongly using the word "software" as if it referred to a single specific item, for example "I'm going to download a software to edit photos."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Two more which annoy me:

People wrongly using the word "software" as if it referred to a single specific item, for example "I'm going to download a software to edit photos."

I admit it does annoy me a bit when people refer 'TV programme' as 'TV program'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :

probably a programmer who is programming
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all just been pedantic.

That one really makes people look dumb.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is 'somethink' which is like nails down a black-board to me >:(

So often said by so many on TV - many of whom speak rather well otherwise.

I had a huge row with someone on FB about it once who was able to post examples (found online) backing-up their point that it is okay to pronounce it like that.

Not in my f**king house it ain't! :D
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a trend a while ago to deliberately misspell words that were commonly misspelled on chat rooms due to typing fast e.g. 'teh' for 'the'. This was to allude to the poster being a chat room dude and hence 'cool'. Anyone who commented on these words obviously was not aware of this and so showed that they were 'uncool'. Examples of other deliberate errors I can remember are cloths for clothes, mixing up lose and loose etc. Recently I was going to point out to a poster in the TV DS forum that the word was aerial not ariel (the soap powder) but I wondered if this was the 'cool' way to spell that word.

Nowadays a lot of incorrect spelling on forums and newspaper comment sections is down to people using phones and tablets with tiny touch screens, and also predictive text howlers. It's also common for txtspk to crop up in job applications, exam answers and even ordinary conversations. The comedian Bill Bailey claims he overheard a teenager telling his mate a joke. The mate didn't laugh, but replied 'Lol'.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's when we get get a letter home from school, written by the head of year, which has "their" and "they're" incorrectly used I despair.

If the teachers are unable to use the correct spelling in formal correspondence, then what hope is their* for the children.

* :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is like hashtag awesome!
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst offenders for me are "your" instead of "you're" and the absolute irritant, extraneous apostrophes. >:(

I've seen people write "he sell's" instead of "he sells", "writer's" instead of "writers" and it just drives me mad. It has got to be the worst grammatical mistake one can make in my view. Dreadful.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is like hashtag awesome!

Ikr? Totes amazeballs.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another grammar and spelling thread! How refreshing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The worst offenders for me are "your" instead of "you're" and the absolute irritant, extraneous apostrophes. >:(

I've seen people write "he sell's" instead of "he sells", "writer's" instead of "writers" and it just drives me mad. It has got to be the worst grammatical mistake one can make in my view. Dreadful.

I'm seeing more instances of who's when it should be whose.
  • Options
    McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I've seen people write "he sell's" instead of "he sells",
    "writer's" instead of "writers" and it just drives me mad.
    It has got to be the worst grammatical mistake one can make
    in my view. Dreadful.

Quelle apostrophe!
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..This is only likely to get worse, state educated children have adopted this "jafaican" dialect and it's not only effecting how they write but how they speak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all getting two much. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has something to do with the changing way in which people pronounce words. Quite a lot pronounce their as there so they're bound to get mixed up.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..This is only likely to get worse, state educated children have adopted this "jafaican" dialect and it's not only effecting how they write but how they speak.
    Affecting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it also affecting how they speak...? :):)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Alot.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    It has lead me to despair.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, imagine if you were worried about something that actually mattered!