• Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Xbox one
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently multiple users on the same console can play a game without an additional fee but using the disc on another consoles by someone other than the first registered account to use that disc will incur a fee.

MS said that they have something in place for trading used games between friends and playing previously traded games but they will not be discussing it today.
  • Options
    Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 for me, as long as Sony don't announce a similar thing regarding a fee to play second hand games.

Put it simply, if Sony don't announce any restriction on used games, then I feel MS may struggle....
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would normally buy both but the DRM has put me off the Xbox, I play mostly on the PC so I'm used to not being able to sell games on, the difference is on the PC they're cheaper, they come down in price faster and then there's the Steam Sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 for me, as long as Sony don't announce a similar thing regarding a fee to play second hand games.

Put it simply, if Sony don't announce any restriction on used games, then I feel MS may struggle....
    They may be forced to if the publishers want it done.

Sony were forced to change the account activations for PS Store content from 5 to 2 users back in 2011 as publishers were annoyed that people were abusing the system (and they were). If the major publishers want this system, Sony would have to integrate it too or miss out on games.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    PS4 for me. I was willing to wait for Microsoft but this whole fee for used games thing has convinced me. Also I have little interest in waving my hand around or speaking to the console for it to do things. i just want to play decent games.

When you get things like charges to play used games and lack of backwards compatibility, that comes across as a cynical corporate strategy to persuade gamers to buy new to boost profits. It'll be interesting to see if those policies affect sales numbers in due course.
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I'll get both but I'll be buying the Xbox One first.
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4.

Or I'll probably just get a GTX 780...
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as Sony stay clear of TV stuff and movement gimmicks, and do not add a fee for 2nd hand games I think they should have this one in the bag.
  • Options
    jim_ukjim_uk Posts: 13,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you get things like charges to play used games and lack of backwards compatibility, that comes across as a cynical corporate strategy to persuade gamers to buy new to boost profits. It'll be interesting to see if those policies affect sales numbers in due course.

I think they will, old games are often traded in towards new ones, peoples budgets are finite so there's a good chance it will lower new game sales. The other issue I see is people being less likely to take risks on games they know they're going to end up being stuck with.
  • Options
    scorpionatthepcscorpionatthepc Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    Conroy wrote: »
    but they will not be discussing it today.

Because it will be expensive judging by the cost of xbox live content.
  • Options
    kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was underwhelmed by both presentation to be honest but there are a number of Xbox One things that are swaying me towards the PS4 (I never owned a PS3, just a 360)

- MS have confirmed to C&VG that you have to install games to the HDD to play them AND that each disk can only be used with one machine/XBL account. If you want to play on a second Xbox you have to pay an activation fee (but no word on how much this is yet). That mean no preowned sales, no piracy (for now!) and no lending the game to your mate for the weekend. What happens if you get something like RROD? Do I have to pay to play all the games I've already bought again?! Or if I have 2 consoles - I have to pay for 2 copies of the game? Join the real world please Microsoft.

- Looks like Kinect 2 is a must as well. Just not interested in this. Only used Kinect 1 as I was a beta tester but I don't care about voice commands, I don't care about gesture control but I do care about taking my Xbox into the spare room when my girlfriend wants to watch something on the TV. If I *have* to take Kinect with me to power the damn thing on then I'm out.

- Its fugly. And huge. I'm running out of space as it is under my TV!

- I'm not interested in media having priority over games. Yes, I like to watch Netflix, YouTube and SkyGo on my 360, but it is still used primarily as a games machine.

- I doubt that all those fancy TV control things he showed off will actually work in the UK. Can you see Sky or Virgin giving up their proprietary boxes over an Xbox?

- It's got a shit name. "All in one", "One for all" or whatever the One means just doesn't work for me. They'd have been better just calling it "Xbox". Will the next one be Xbox One Two?

We'll find out more at E3 I'm sure about whether my concerns are real, but until then I'm swaying back to PlayStation.

Edit: Just in addition to point 1, why is the games industry the only industry that thinks they deserve a cut of any sale I make of the product I OWN and BOUGHT further down the line? Do Penguin come knocking if I sell a book on eBay? Does Universal come knocking if I flog a DVD or CD? Do Ford ask me for money to cover their R&D costs if I sell my Fiesta? The industry needs to get over this and realise if we buy something, we own it, and we're free to do what we want with it afterwards.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    jim_uk wrote: »
    I think they will, old games are often traded in towards new ones, peoples budgets are finite so there's a good chance it will lower new game sales. The other issue I see is people being less likely to take risks on games they know they're going to end up being stuck with.

I expect that the initial sales of the Xbox One will look quite positive because of novelty value but, because of all the factors that have been discussed in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if the subsequent sales Xbox One units went into a noticeable decline thereafter.

I think that's poor decision making on Microsoft's part and it might very well come back to haunt them. As the Wii U has shown, new consoles aren't guaranteed to be successful (it's apparently being outsold by the vanilla Wii in the US).
    kingdave wrote: »
    ...We'll find out more at E3 I'm sure about whether my concerns are real, but until then I'm swaying back to PlayStation.

It's not too long now until E3 and it'll almost certainly be covered on Click on BBC News. I look forward to seeing what the views are of commentators and industry experts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will this "one time only unless you pay a fee" thing work in reality though?

Unless the BluRay drive is also a BR Writer it would mean having to enter codes of something before you can even play the game. I know companies like EA do that for the multiplayer aspect, but what a ball ache it will be having to do it for EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Unless there is another way they can know the disc has been used that I am missing...?
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingdave wrote: »
    How will this "one time only unless you pay a fee" thing work in reality though?

Unless the BluRay drive is also a BR Writer it would mean having to enter codes of something before you can even play the game. I know companies like EA do that for the multiplayer aspect, but what a ball ache it will be having to do it for EVERY SINGLE GAME.

Unless there is another way they can know the disc has been used that I am missing...?

Go to the Xbox Event thread. You have to put a serial number into Xbox Live to authorise your game.
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with PS4 ATM. But I will stick with Xbox 360 until it s no longer supported. Then I may very well give up on gaming. Probably go back to having friends
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the Xbox Event thread. You have to put a serial number into Xbox Live to authorise your game.

As I said, ball ache.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    On the basis of what I've seen so far, I might just stick with my 360 and pc.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't buy used or sell on my old games, and having them all ready to go without having to hunt around for discs will be handy. 500gb doesn't sound alot for full installs of blu-ray games though....
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    Personally, I don't buy used or sell on my old games, and having them all ready to go without having to hunt around for discs will be handy. 500gb doesn't sound alot for full installs of blu-ray games though....

I would hope that the HDD is easily replaceable, it's going to run out of space pretty quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fluffed wrote: »
    I struggled for 2 years with a 500GB HDD in my PS3. I upgraded to a 1TB 2.5 years ago and haven't looked back.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got to the stage that I never thought would happen and am finding more important things that need my money spending on them than new games machines (house, car, wife, work stuff etc.) Neither system has grabbed me and I still have loads to complete, and even play full stop, on my ps3 and 360, so I'm out of this one for the foreseeable future. If anything I'll set up one of my PCs as a steam box.

Of the two, though, I can see the ps4 winning this gen. Still game centric while the One was all about the US and gimmicks. I didn't mind it looking like my old 80s Sony VCR, though.
  • Options
    LackadaisicalLackadaisical Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    "Sony has just stated that they have renamed the PS4 into the PS Won."
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since PS4 is leaving it up to the publishers to decide it they will charge for 2nd hand games I can't help but think that one they will switch to only making games available to XOne or two they will do a cruder version of what the XOne is doing. The used games market is dead. Personally I have no problem with that. Hardcore gaming is starting to die. Developers are making more money on IOS games, more people play tablet or phone games and economically we are all poorer, well most of us. I think the XOne has probably done the right thing by going down the entertainment station that happens to play games . I think it's sad but things move on. If I had to have a console it would be a PS4 but I don't have the money for new consoles.
  • Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With this charging for used games at least we know the real reason why EA have stopped the online pass.