Options

Jeff Hawke

ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
Forum Member
✭✭
I've been revisiting this classic strip via the two 80s Titan collections.
Originally appearing in the Daily Express, Sidney Jordan's tale of the True Brit space adventurer (written by Willie Harrison) is probably the only daily strip approaching anything resembling decent sf.
Beautifully drawn and galactic in scope, the stories are usually narrated by a Satanic-looking alien to his equally odd colleague, occasionally featuring Jordan himself, musing at his drawing board as Hawke's tales unfold.
He is surrounded by some truly "alien" aliens who resemble anything from dogs, demons, Egyptian gods, kitchen appliances or even the Mona Lisa (who lives in a cave on the Moon). The chaotic antics are frequently orchestrated by the endlessly optimistic, if not always entirely successful, Chalcedon, an interplanetary chancer who is usually aided by a less than competent bunch of alien criminals.
Witty, exciting and a lesson in how to make an entire universe fit into three black and white panels on a daily basis.
I only wish Titan had reprinted a few more, particularly the tale of the Flying Sphinx.

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I confess that in my enthusiasm I got both of Jeff Hawke's creators' names wrong: it's Sydney Jordan and Willie Patterson.:o