Just bought a fish tank, what fish should I get?

Comments

• crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    Go for:

6 Neon tetras
    2 Mollies
    2 Swordtails or other Platys
    4 Guppies
    1 Siamese fighting fish (for that added splash of dramatic colour!)

That's too many fish to add to a new tank at once. :eek: Neons really need a mature tank as they're a bit fragile and may not survive a new cycling tank. I'd wait a few weeks for them.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, you can't have male guppies in with a fighter as the fighter will just shred their tails
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for:

6 Neon tetras
    2 Mollies
    2 Swordtails or other Platys
    4 Guppies
    1 Siamese fighting fish (for that added splash of dramatic colour!)

Are you stupid!!! A betta (fighter) cannot go with swordtails or guppies. trust me I'm obsessed with my Bettas, I know.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. The OP can wait weeks to "cycle" the tank and get everything spot on, to put it in laymans terms, or do as my aquarium store says, adding a small number of fish straight away. That's how I did it when I started and never lost any. Don't do what most beginners do OP and add loads of fish straight away or you'll lose them as the filter won't be able to cope.:cry:

I'd go for tropicals as they're just as easy to keep as goldfish, more colourful and you can have more in the tank. Goldfish are messy fish, get too big and should be in ponds really. For tropicals you need a combined heater/thermostat then and an internal filter. Get those first and a thermometer and a bottle of water conditioner and run your tank for a few days to stabilise the temperature at about 78degF. before adding about 6 fish and NO MORE for a week or so.

Discus aren't for beginners and are expensive so forget those. Two small angels would be okay for your tank. I have two adults in a 3ft tank like yours. You need a small colourful community of mixed fish then. Neons are lovely but not for a new tank at the start. They're a bit fragile, not as hardy as they were 20 or 30 years ago and need a mature tank so wait 6 months to try those. Guppies are nice but not as hardy as they used to be. There are lots of tetras. Platies are nice too as well as mollies. You could have a gourami in there. Look at some online sites,

Nobody does fish in cycles anymore. It's an outdated cruel practice. You should move with the times.

White clouds are not tropical, they are temperate who ever said they were.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody does fish in cycles anymore. It's an outdated cruel practice. You should move with the times.

White clouds are not tropical, they are temperate who ever said they were.

I've never known anyone who has cycled a tank and I know lots of fishkeepers both relatively new and experienced. My aquarium shop tells newbies to use water conditioner and wait 48 hours for the temperature to stabilise and then add fish slowly, just a few at first, and build up. What new fishkeeper wants to wait weeks staring at a cycling empty tank? :confused:
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never known anyone who has cycled a tank and I know lots of fishkeepers both relatively new and experienced. My aquarium shop tells newbies to use water conditioner and wait 48 hours for the temperature to stabilise and then add fish slowly, just a few at first, and build up. What new fishkeeper wants to wait weeks staring at a cycling empty tank? :confused:

Go on TFF forums and you'll see hundreds of posts from people who didn't cycle and have lost all their fish and kept buying more and now are having to do fish in cycles changing the water daily and testing just to keep the fish alive.

I cycled my tanks with mature media, they cycled in 2 days. That's what fish shops do and people who already have an established tank and buy another. I cycled my firts tank then as the year went on and I got two more tanks I ust cut a chunk of really dirty sponge from the filter and used that to cycle my new tanks in 2 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    Go on TFF forums and you'll see hundreds of posts from people who didn't cycle and have lost all their fish and kept buying more and now are having to do fish in cycles changing the water daily and testing just to keep the fish alive.

Well when I started again in 1995 I never cycled and didn't lose a single fish. I bought 4 to start with, platies, and built up. I've never, ever, in 17 years, tested any water either, just do my fortnightly water changes and hoovering the bottom and rarely lose fish, only usually to old age. You don't need to be a chemist buying test tubes and bottles of testing fluids to keep fish. If you want to then fine. It's up to the OP how he does it of course.

BTW I am a member of TFF and PFK forums too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Well when I started again in 1995 I never cycled and didn't lose a single fish. I bought 4 to start with, platies, and built up. I've never, ever, in 17 years, tested any water either, just do my fortnightly water changes and hoovering the bottom and rarely lose fish, only usually to old age. You don't need to be a chemist buying test tubes and bottles of testing fluids to keep fish. If you want to then fine. It's up to the OP how he does it of course.

the thing is though , would you enjoy walking around with a bag of ammonia tainted gas over your head all the time , i am a member of those sites as well :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kissing gouramis.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure you're very popular over at PFK giving chronic advice.

I'll look out for your threads.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter how experienced you are there is always the risk of losing fish when introducing them to a tank. Many captive bred fish lose some immunity to certain diseases, and if introducing wild caught fish there is the risk of infection.

The best advice to a newbie fish keeper is get a book and use it a guide. Fishkeeping is not an exact science. What works for one person might not another as there are many variables in fish keeping.

For instance, two fish may by of the same length but one species of fish you may be able to keep many of in the same tank, the other species few because their body mass is different.

Any internal pump will create some surface disturbance increasing the surface area by which osmosis occurs

Live plants can add oxygen to the to water, and help break down fish waste, but are a potential food source to fish, and may come with parasites when brought that can infect fish.

Artificial plants on the other hand are largely fishproof and provide a surface area for friendly bacteria to grow on, but don't help break down fish waste or add extra oygen to the tank.

With regard to the fishless cycle there is no need to wait weeks before introducing fish. There are many pre packaged live bacteria products on the market that kick start a filter. All that needs to be remembered is they need something to feed on first to thrive.

Two important bits of advice are about the thermostatic heaters and water changes.

When you first put thethermomstatic heater in the tank, don't plug it in for a least a day. Othwise there is the risk the glass around the element will crack due to sudden temprature change.

Secondly with water changes and tropical fish. Don't use just cold water. Do a mix of hot and cold water so the water is warm and not freezing cold. Also mix in any chemical used for dechlorinating the water at the same time to mix it thoroughly, and not after the partial water change.
    Forum Member
    surfie wrote: »
    With regard to the fishless cycle there is no need to wait weeks before introducing fish. There are many pre packaged live bacteria products on the market that kick start a filter. All that needs to be remembered is they need something to feed on first to thrive.

which are generally considered to be a waste of time and money , fishless using ammonia or a good amount of cycled filter material is the way to go .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tech Lover wrote: »
    Kissing gouramis.

They get too big really for a 3ft tank. I bought two and one died after a year but one lived 15 years and died at 12" long, exactly a foot and I'm not exaggerating. Luckily it was peaceful but too big for a 3ft tank really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you're very popular over at PFK giving chronic advice.

I'll look out for your threads.

Haven't many threads, if any, mainly just browse and read. How come my dealer advises newbies to do it the fish-in way then? He says all this fishless cycling and even water testing is "a waste of time" and "not to believe what is said on fish forums" He asked me, "Who do you trust, people on fish forums or me who has been in the trade 20 years and kept fish for years at home before that" He doesn't sell a bowl or tank with fish, but tells them to come back next day for the fish.
    Forum Member
    How come my dealer advises newbies to do it the fish-in way then? He says all this fishless cycling and even water testing is "a waste of time" and "not to believe what is said on fish forums" .

maybe because he wants to make money out of gullible people ......
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How have your SFF not killed each other? I had two but they did NOT get on and our bright red one killed our cobalt blue one :(

Sorry...just seen this. They are both males (same colour combos that you had) and have been in the tank together for about a month or so. Before that we alternated them in a display case thing in the tank. So far so good. They've had a bit of a nip of each others tails but there are plenty of places for one of other to get away so its all good.
  • InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe because he wants to make money out of gullible people ......

It's a scam as old as the hills. Even if the fish live a few months they won't live as long as they would in a properly cycled aquarium. I agree about those cycle your tank in a day products too. Absolute waste of money. The only way to cycle tank is to do it slowly.

That said, when I started out nobody at all cycled their aquariums, under gravel filters were considered cutting edge,where as now they are considered less than effective.
    So I know where Chris is coming from regarding no-one cycling their aquariums. There are a few old school dealers left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InkyPinky wrote: »
    That said, when I started out nobody at all cycled their aquariums, under gravel filters were considered cutting edge,where as now they are considered less than effective.
    So I know where Chris is coming from regarding no-one cycling their aquariums. There are a few old school dealers left.

I first had fish from 1977 to 1981 and had under-gravel filters! Also the old green-tube combi heaters with no temperature dial whatsoever so it was pure guess work when adjusting them!! :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Sorry...just seen this. They are both males (same colour combos that you had) and have been in the tank together for about a month or so. Before that we alternated them in a display case thing in the tank. So far so good. They've had a bit of a nip of each others tails but there are plenty of places for one of other to get away so its all good.

:eek: I wouldn't trust two males in the same tank no matter how big it was and how many hiding places it has! In fact I won't ever keep a fighter in a community tank again as they get bullied and other fish tear their fins.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neon Tetras are my favourite. They are inexpensive, easy to look after, create little mess and are very aesthetically pleasing. I've had Neons that have lived for 5+ years... very good value for money.

Tiger Barbs are another one of my favs, though when fully grown they will eat small fish.
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    which are generally considered to be a waste of time and money , fishless using ammonia or a good amount of cycled filter material is the way to go .....

And if you don't have access to cycled filter material in the first place then you need to introduce bacteria into the tank

The place i get my fish got an award from Practical Fishkeeping for being one of the best in the country. Even they say the fishless cycle is outdated and for a new tank adding bacteria from such products as Bacterlife is the best thing to do, then after a week slowly introduce fish a few at a time.
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how experienced you are there is always the risk of losing fish when introducing them to a tank. Many captive bred fish lose some immunity to certain diseases, and if introducing wild caught fish there is the risk of infection.

Secondly with water changes and tropical fish. Don't use just cold water. Do a mix of hot and cold water so the water is warm and not freezing cold. Also mix in any chemical used for dechlorinating the water at the same time to mix it thoroughly, and not after the partial water change.

Well I have got my tank filled with water, shop bought gravel, filter, water pump, plastic plants, heater, aquarium cleaning kit with siphon, stress coat for tap water, stress zyme to keep aquarium clean and add bacteria plus an additional water conditioner for treating tap water.

I have not yet bought a thermometer or any ph water testing kits (are they needed)?

Water has only been in for 24 hours, I am intending to buy 6 zebras fish this weekend. I assume with hardy fish like zebra danios, I wont have to wait for week for the filter to cycle. Last few questions.

1) How do you know when your tank/filter is cylcing?
    2) Should filters ever be cleaned?
    Forum Member
    cribology wrote: »
    Water has only been in for 24 hours, I am intending to buy 6 zebras fish this weekend. I assume with hardy fish like zebra danios, I wont have to wait for week for the filter to cycle. Last few questions.

1) How do you know when your tank/filter is cylcing?
    2) Should filters ever be cleaned?

please dont buy the fish yet , i offered you a link further up this thread about fishless cycling , please read it ....
  • cribologycribology Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please dont buy the fish yet , i offered you a link further up this thread about fishless cycling , please read it ....

I've read it, its most about ammonia calculators, ppm levels, nitrate readings, ph and kh water ratings. Its makes keeping fish look like a scientific experiment and in my view does not encourage me to get fish.
  • AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cribology wrote: »
    I've read it, its most about ammonia calculators, ppm levels, nitrate readings, ph and kh water ratings. Its makes keeping fish look like a scientific experiment and in my view does not encourage me to get fish.

So you'd rather poison your fish than wait until you can provide them with a better living environment? Brilliant logic.