Options

Bioshock Infinite

Comments

• Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Didn't really enjoy the game as much as i was hoping and i don't see how the ending was so great. I did quite like it at first but it seemed to get a bit repetitive and the combat is a hindrance.

Just unlocked 1999 mode, haven't a clue what it is but i'm gonna start on that soon.
    Matt D wrote: »
    1999 mode is basically "super-hard mode".

It is indeed that. I am playing it through, my first play-through, on 1999 Mode and I can confirm it is that. I haven't finished the game yet as it's taking a while to get through, possibly due to me being crap as opposed to the game being very much harder.

I don't know much about ammo levels, as I have only known them on 1999 Mode, but certainly 'death' has a price. It costs to resurrect, until you have no more to spend, and then it just sends you back to the menu screen. It doesn't delete your autosave though, so you just continue from the autosave, which, from experience, doesn't put you too far away from where you died anyway. No navigation arrow whatsoever, but the game is linear enough to find your way through without it anyway.

If it helps, I'm finding the combat extremely repetitive and boring, to the point where I'm having to sweet talk myself into playing. Whether this is just 1999 Mode I don't know.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Played about 6 hours of this so far. I'm up to the bit
    where you steal the airship and Elizabeth smacks you in the head with a wrench!

I have to admit its a bit more of a chore to play than I was expecting, especially after all the 10/10 reviews. I'm coming to this straight of a marathon gaming session of Far Cry 3, flowing straight into Tomb Raider and now this. By comparison, the combat seems decidedly basic and almost archaic. It certainly isn't as entertaining as the other two games I mentioned in that regard.

However, the story, setting and Elizabeth have me hooked. Columbia is a marvel to look at, the story is bizarre but engaging and I'm eager to find out what the hell is going on. But it is definitely Elizabeth that is keeping me coming back. There's something so endearing about her, which isn't bad going for a bunch of pixels!
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1999 mode is basically "super-hard mode".

Not going to touch that with a barge pole! I played through most of the game on hard but had to switch to medium to get past
    the fight with the ghost of Lady Comstock at the cemetery

One of the few games where I've had to do that.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    It is indeed that. I am playing it through, my first play-through, on 1999 Mode and I can confirm it is that. I haven't finished the game yet as it's taking a while to get through, possibly due to me being crap as opposed to the game being very much harder.

I don't know much about ammo levels, as I have only known them on 1999 Mode, but certainly 'death' has a price. It costs to resurrect, until you have no more to spend, and then it just sends you back to the menu screen. It doesn't delete your autosave though, so you just continue from the autosave, which, from experience, doesn't put you too far away from where you died anyway. No navigation arrow whatsoever, but the game is linear enough to find your way through without it anyway.

If it helps, I'm finding the combat extremely repetitive and boring, to the point where I'm having to sweet talk myself into playing. Whether this is just 1999 Mode I don't know.

How are you playing on 1999 mode for your first run? I thought it was only unlocked after completing the game? :confused:

As for the combat though...
    Helbore wrote: »
    Played about 6 hours of this so far. I'm up to the bit
    where you steal the airship and Elizabeth smacks you in the head with a wrench!

I have to admit its a bit more of a chore to play than I was expecting, especially after all the 10/10 reviews. I'm coming to this straight of a marathon gaming session of Far Cry 3, flowing straight into Tomb Raider and now this. By comparison, the combat seems decidedly basic and almost archaic. It certainly isn't as entertaining as the other two games I mentioned in that regard.

However, the story, setting and Elizabeth have me hooked. Columbia is a marvel to look at, the story is bizarre but engaging and I'm eager to find out what the hell is going on. But it is definitely Elizabeth that is keeping me coming back. There's something so endearing about her, which isn't bad going for a bunch of pixels!

... the combat is quite clunky and old fashioned compared to recent shooters.

I actually found the fighting quite tedious after a while, but what kept me hooked was the story and the characters, especially Elizabeth.
    tombigbee wrote: »
    Not going to touch that with a barge pole! I played through most of the game on hard but had to switch to medium to get past
    the fight with the ghost of Lady Comstock at the cemetery

One of the few games where I've had to do that.

Yup. I'm not going near it either. I will play again at some point, but for the story and characters.

That fight in particular was a pain, along with the final fight.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you playing on 1999 mode for your first run? I thought it was only unlocked after completing the game? :confused:

Irrational built in a code to unlock it should you wish to...for better or worse. And I can confirm it works.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jen-B wrote: »
    Irrational built in a code to unlock it should you wish to...for better or worse. And I can confirm it works.

At the games main menu enter:

PS3: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O and X.
    360: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B and A.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have now completed my second play through (this one on 1999 mode) and it is difficult, but it's amazing how different my play style was to adapt to it. I was using a vigor that I didn't touch in the first play through (on normal).
    Once you unlock charge, upgrade it fully as soon as you can, it then does a lot of damage with the 'explode' upgrade, and the 'brief invincibility and shield refill' is a life saver - literally. Especially against ghostly Comstock lady. I struggled most against the Handymen to be honest, I didn't really find a vigor/gun combo that took them out quickly whereas pretty much everything else was manageable (I only failed the end battle once which surprised me - some people were talking about it taking 5 hours on hard so I was dreading it on 1999).

Now I am trading it in (platinum received) but when all the DLC is out I will pick it up again to play them. I think I need to get my hands on Far Cry 3 now....
  • Options
    STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Am i the only one who has no idea whats going on in Bioshock infinite ?, ive played well over 10hr , the end is in sight , but i still have no clue to whats going on and would struggle to explain the plot.

Does the ending help Explain the plot?? , or should i play it again??

i also agree with some of the other things being said here , like the terrible combat , which sometimes gets in the way , also although the game is amazing at times and sometimes blows you away ,it can sometimes be a real chore to get through , something which you shouldn't be saying about a 10/10 game surely.

was i the only one who died a lot??
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to pay attention to the dialogue and cutscenes. The voxphones also help a lot with the backstory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    STeely wrote: »
    Am i the only one who has no idea whats going on in Bioshock infinite ?, ive played well over 10hr , the end is in sight , but i still have no clue to whats going on and would struggle to explain the plot.

Does the ending help Explain the plot?? , or should i play it again??

i also agree with some of the other things being said here , like the terrible combat , which sometimes gets in the way , also although the game is amazing at times and sometimes blows you away ,it can sometimes be a real chore to get through , something which you shouldn't be saying about a 10/10 game surely.

was i the only one who died a lot??

I found the plot pretty easy to follow but then I did listen to most of the voxphones so maybe that helped in that department.

As I was mainly interested in the story I only played it in normal mode and as a result I only died twice.

The basic story...
    Your play a guy called booker dewitt who is a former Pinkerton agent. Due to a gambling debts you have been hired by someone to find a girl called Elizabeth and wipe away your debts.

Upon reaching the city you realise there is civil war taking place between religious nut Comstock and the Vox Populi and Comstock has Elizibeth imprisoned in a tower.

You then get caught up in this war having to assist in order to get an air ship and get Elizabeth to New York.

If you have any specific questions then I'm sure one of us will answer it without any spoilers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost gave up on this after a couple of days, as I was struggling to find the combat anything but tedious. I'm glad I didn't though, as I am enjoying it a lot more now. Booker and Elizabeth are a great pairing. The story has me hooked. I just kinda wish it was more of an adventure game than a shooter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I almost gave up on this after a couple of days, as I was struggling to find the combat anything but tedious. I'm glad I didn't though, as I am enjoying it a lot more now. Booker and Elizabeth are a great pairing. The story has me hooked. I just kinda wish it was more of an adventure game than a shooter!

I agree with this. The game play in tomb raider seemed a lot better even though the story wasn't.

I felt they made the game last longer by having tedious amounts of enemies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished it. Ended with the most tedious battle of the entire game, followed by one of the most sublime story-focused endings to a game I've seen in a long time. So much so that I'm still digesting it all. There aren't many films I see that leave me thinking about nothing else afterwards, let alone games. I'm going to have to trawl the net now to find other peoples' perspectives on it all.

So in the end, it started off promising, got tedious due to archaic combat, picked up dramatically due to the story and characters, got bogged down at times by more tedious combat that just got in the way of me wanting to delve deeper into the story, then ended amazingly.

I can understand why it got 10/10 reviews now, just off the ending alone. If I'm honest, I don't think I could rate it that highly, simply because of the clunky game mechanics making it feel like a ten-year-old shooter at times. But I'm not sure I could rate it only average or even above average because of the story and how it has left me feeling. Its a hard one to decide on, like it both is and is not a 10/10 game - which in some ways, is quite fitting, considering!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished it. Ended with the most tedious battle of the entire game, followed by one of the most sublime story-focused endings to a game I've seen in a long time. So much so that I'm still digesting it all. There aren't many films I see that leave me thinking about nothing else afterwards, let alone games. I'm going to have to trawl the net now to find other peoples' perspectives on it all.

So in the end, it started off promising, got tedious due to archaic combat, picked up dramatically due to the story and characters, got bogged down at times by more tedious combat that just got in the way of me wanting to delve deeper into the story, then ended amazingly.

I can understand why it got 10/10 reviews now, just off the ending alone. If I'm honest, I don't think I could rate it that highly, simply because of the clunky game mechanics making it feel like a ten-year-old shooter at times. But I'm not sure I could rate it only average or even above average because of the story and how it has left me feeling. Its a hard one to decide on, like it both is and is not a 10/10 game - which in some ways, is quite fitting, considering!

Yeah I think I would have to go with 9/10 as even though the story was close to perfection the combat was not. It's still one of my favourite games this year though.

The issue with the combat for me personally is a bit like previous games, I can't bring myself to doing a second play-though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I think I would have to go with 9/10 as even though the story was close to perfection the combat was not. It's still one of my favourite games this year though.

The issue with the combat for me personally is a bit like previous games, I can't bring myself to doing a second play-though.

I know what you mean about not wanting to do a second play-through. I want to in order to experience the whole story again, but I'm not keen on having to go through all that combat again.

Mostly, when I replay a game, I up the difficulty to give the second play more of a challenge. In this case, if I play through it again, I'll almost certainly do so on "easy" difficulty. I almost wish there was an even easier "beginner" setting so I could just waltz through the combat without having to think that much, get it over with quickly and get back to the story!

What would be fantastic would be if someone made an anime movie or mini-series out of this game. I think the settings and characters would be well suited to an anime style. Unlike most game-to-movie adaptions (which are predominantly shit) all they'd need to do is stick closely to the story as it is and they'd have an amazing product.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I'm up to the final fight in 1999 mode and boy what a drag it has been. I am all up for a challenge but this final fight is a pain in the ass.
    Trying to protect the core from the patriots, whilst be simultaneously shot at by half a dozen ground troops is nigh on impossibe. Make sure you save lots of cash for this fight.
  • Options
    sparky07sparky07 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I'm up to the final fight in 1999 mode and boy what a drag it has been. I am all up for a challenge but this final fight is a pain in the ass.
    Trying to protect the core from the patriots, whilst be simultaneously shot at by half a dozen ground troops is nigh on impossibe. Make sure you save lots of cash for this fight.

I can imagine, I'm playing through on hard at the moment and that's enough of a challenge. My 2nd playthrough was going to be on 1999 mode but I will likely give that a miss now.

Really enjoying the story though!!
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »

Good luck with that! I found the final battle hard going on normal mode. Still ,once it was over the long epilogue is worth the wait. I get so disappointed with games which end too quickly after the last battle but this one was really worth it.

I absolutely loved
    the bit where Elizabeth transports you to Rapture. It was a moment of sheer brilliance.

I agree that the combat was a bit below par. It could have done with offering you more than two weapons to use and perhaps a bit more inventiveness in the weapon choices. For the vast majority of the game I just stuck with the machine gun and sniper rifle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Good luck with that! I found the final battle hard going on normal mode. Still ,once it was over the long epilogue is worth the wait. I get so disappointed with games which end too quickly after the last battle but this one was really worth it.

I absolutely loved
    the bit where Elizabeth transports you to Rapture. It was a moment of sheer brilliance.

I agree that the combat was a bit below par. It could have done with offering you more than two weapons to use and perhaps a bit more inventiveness in the weapon choices. For the vast majority of the game I just stuck with the machine gun and sniper rifle.

The lack of cover annoyed me most, it's something that's available in pretty much all modern FPSs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, having the ability to only carry two weapons (and no clear way to know you can easily switch them, such as weapons dispensers) pretty much forces you into the playstyle of "choose two weapons and stick with them for the whole game." I also didn't feel like the weapons felt differentiated enough, or unique enough.

Same goes for weapon upgrades (and vigor upgrades, too). I never really felt like I was "levelling up" as I gained them. I barely noticed any improvement.
    Gormond wrote: »
    The lack of cover annoyed me most, it's something that's available in pretty much all modern FPSs.

That also annoyed me, along with the general lack of options, such as stealth. These sort of things are generally commonplace in shooters (both first and third person) nowadays and it made it feel quite out-of-date when it forced you into combat and you practically had to stand dead in front of your opponents or resort to the age-old "strafing in circles" tactic of old.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like BS:I was a game that ran out of production time. The story, characters and location are so wonderfully realised that I can only imagine that so much production time went into those elements that they didn't have time to flesh out he rest of the game. An example is the choices you get to make. Early in the game you get a few instances where you get to make a choice between two options - but these very quickly disappear. It seems odd to have them in the early game and then never again.

I think the scope of the game was just so huge that they didn't get enough time to really complete it all. It kinda makes me wish they'd had another year or eighteen months of production time, as I think they could have produced a genre-defining classic.

It was still a fantastic experience, though, no doubt about it. As it stands, I recently spent 65 hours playing Far Cry 3, which I immediately followed with 22 hours of Tomb Raider and then 16 hours of this. I've also got Hitman: Absolution waiting to play now. But where I happily went from one game straight into the next before, this one left me needing to take a couple of days to digest the story. I wasn't ready to dive into another one, because this one was still playing on my mind.

The game mechanics might not be up to the best, but the story and its execution is right up there with the best-of-the-best. With the game complete, I actually miss Booker and Elizabeth.
  • Options
    General ZodGeneral Zod Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Started playing this for an hour or so yesterday, and theres a couple of things I've noticed:

The NPC's all look the same. In and outside the place where you get baptised, all the men seem to have mousy brown hair and side partings. Then when you get into the city proper, you realise that an awful lot of the women have exactly the same face, and even some of the kids playing have exactly the same face. Couldnt they have built in some algorithm for random facial generation or something? It reminds me in a way of Oblivion, where you could walk into a room and everyone has the same voice. Pretty lazy.

Second thing has probably been mentioned, but its very annoying; the autosave system is complete arsewater. I think they probably did it to increase immersion in the game world, but in fact it actually breaks the immersion, as for the entire last time period in your gaming session, you arent enjoying the game. What you are in fact doing is looking desperately for the next checkpoint to activate, so you can turn off the xbox and go and do something else. which in certain cases can be in excess of half an hour. Needs patching.

Other than that, its looking good. I know I'm gonna enjoy a game when after only about an hour of playing, a gondola floats up with a barbershop quartet on it singing a Beach Boys song.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another really nice touch is how "real" Elizabeth seems. When you're not running around she will do little things like look at posters on the wall or objects on the floor, occasionally making comments. In so many games your companion will just stand there doing nothing, waiting for you to make your next move.

The best part of that interaction was when
    you go into the basement, pick up a guitar and she starts singing to that frightened boy.

My jaw just hit the floor at that moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another really nice touch is how "real" Elizabeth seems. When you're not running around she will do little things like look at posters on the wall or objects on the floor, occasionally making comments. In so many games your companion will just stand there doing nothing, waiting for you to make your next move.

you go into the basement, pick up a guitar and she starts singing to that frightened boy.

I also like how you can tell if she's pissed off with you. She scowls, folds her arms and never directly faces you. The only thing missing is for Booker to ask her what's wrong and have her reply with "nothing." :p

I found she added so much to the game that I got actively bored when she wasn't around. I hope we see more NPCs like her in the future, who don't just stand their like lemons waiting for you to come and click a button to make them speak.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Did you..
    Wait until the end of the credits and see the video clip?

If not here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpr6W3lAeaQ

I had tears in my eyes.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1999 nide is way too hard, getting absolutely nowhere. Not a clue how i'm gonna do that final battle IF i make it to there.