Bring back BBC closdown and other classic things

liam_paulsonliam_paulson Posts: 11
Forum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0t3JA9ndM

there is a personal touch if someone says good night to you when tv is done for a day the onky bbc output that does is BBC radio4 and thats after the shipping report

they should bring back closedown among other classic tv moments

Comments

• Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC1 says it when they have over to BBC News Channel And BBC2 Says goodnight when programmes finish for the night and you have the preview slot "This is BBC Two".
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    What next? A return of Ceefax?

Another thread harping back to a bygone age. Zzzzzzzz....
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member

Rickets and Diphtheria - they were popular once.....
    Forum Member
    How about bringing back hanging and making homosexuality illegal?
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the fact they have kept it on radio 4 is enough.
    Forum Member
    How about bringing back hanging and making homosexuality illegal?

or the rack!
    Forum Member
    Can we also bring back the pubs closing at 3pm on a Sunday? We used to do that once as well...
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that cant happen as there is no Ceefax but they could bring back the testcard!
    Forum Member
    Why dont we bring back other classic things such as big massive CRT tellies with only three television stations? After all, its what we all did back in 1980.
  • tellyadicttellyadict Posts: 4,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

Rickets is making a comeback in Rochdale as reported on the BBC website this week :eek:
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »

Am I the only person who thought "Hitler" should come next here, or was the Tony Capstick reference intentional?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we also bring back the pubs closing at 3pm on a Sunday? We used to do that once as well...

Can we have football moved back to 3 pm on Saturdays with hardly any live football on the television?
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Can we have football moved back to 3 pm on Saturdays with hardly any live football on the television?

...and TV back to BBC and ITV only in B&W 405 lines and only lunch time news and evening TV no daytime TV just trade test films and the test card!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0t3JA9ndM

there is a personal touch if someone says good night to you when tv is done for a day the onky bbc output that does is BBC radio4 and thats after the shipping report

they should bring back closedown among other classic tv moments

It'd be a personal touch if they said "good night liam". But it'd also be ****ing creepy.
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member

I prefer Ceefax to BBCi
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I prefer Ceefax to BBCi

Ceefax was better only if your digibox is crap at processing MHEG services like BBCi.

Mine only cost 20 quid and BBCi is speedy, compared to clunky old Ceefax.
    Forum Member
    Am I the only person who thought "Hitler" should come next here, or was the Tony Capstick reference intentional?

I've been rumbled!

Capstick Comes Home and The Four Yorkshiremen are my default go to's for a quote when folk start carping on about th' olden days
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Ceefax was better only if your digibox is crap at processing MHEG services like BBCi.

Can it do newsflash like CEEFAX so you can be alerted to any major news stories? Can you leave things like football scores, election results as a small overlay in the corner of the screen with them updating?
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Can it do newsflash like CEEFAX so you can be alerted to any major news stories? Can you leave things like football scores, election results as a small overlay in the corner of the screen with them updating?

Yes, it can do Newsflash, if the broadcasters wish to use that system - but there's no need anyway, as a newsflash important enough to be on BBCi would also be put on the channel in the window on BBCi anyway.

Yes, on some boxes, you can, just as some (earlier) Ceefax TVs couldn't display Ceefax overlays.

Does the text on BBCi look even vaguely like letters of the alphabet?

Could you stop Ceefax without having to struggle to find the hold control?

Could you receive Ceefax perfectly if you lived in an area with the slightest grain of interference? 1n$t34d 0f srmth ng like tkis@

Don't get me wrong, very useful service, but on a technical level compared to BBCi it was *appalling*!
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »

My favourite features on Ceefax were not moved onto BBC i - things like backchat, games reviews etc. Ceefax felt like a community. BBCi doesn't.

I think it was backwards progress in terms of features.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I actually see no problem with Ceefax and wouldnt class its service as bygone (in the sense that it is antiquated) , in fact I am sorry we dont have it anymore, far better than its sucessor.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to enjoy ceefax, especially the Bamboozle game on Channel 4 as well as the TV remarks written by the public on the BBC channels. They were amusing.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Test card J and W accompanied by music would bring higher ratings than Homes Under The Hammer, Cash In The Attic and Escape To The Country.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old pages from ceefax broadcasts using pages 198 and 298 were better than the later ones using page 152.

Pages 198 and 298 were far more comprehensive giving full travel details, sports pages including stories and results, and TV and radio listings you never saw on page 152.