Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    maws57maws57 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I dislike new site. I live in Australia, but chose to view UK site. Now I don't get a choice. Also, I am sick of the Perroni pop ups that I can't get rid of and the the new very deep links board at the top of the page. Please talk to the designers and fix these issues. You will loose a lot of visitors if these issues are not sorted out asap. Jeez that darn ad even popped up when reviewing this post! There are numerous comments on here about all the issues, A response would be appreciated PLEASE!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty people are complaining of this thread but very very few have posted on my usual area of interest, Satellite.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls--the bell tolls for thee" apologies to Hemingway for any error.
    David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Hopefully a fix comes soon.
    I can't get to the last page using the iPad as the right hand side is cut off.
    The colour is awful, total headache in the making.

The layout does look ok, but the previous colour scheme was much better.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I don't understand this at all. Whether I use PC, tablet or phone there are glaring errors that stand out. How on earth did it ever get approval to go live? Some examples:

Large blank areas.
    Excessive white space in posts making it hard to follow a thread.
    Some dark text on black background.
    Right hand side of page missing / page layout errors
    Random elements from the old skin appearing.
    Inconsistent use of colour ( the same page element in different colours)
    Advert placement overlapping / overlapped by forum elements

I'm not silly enough to threaten to find another forum, but this design needs sorting quickly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urg! Just changed to the mobile version for the forum on my iPad and that's not nice too, but at least I can read things now! Please digital spy sort it out! We need colour in our life!! 😮
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    I can't read the forums on my iPad. The posts are too wide for the screen. I only ever come on here on my iPad......
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Miller wrote: »
    We're almost done with the skin which you can click here to see if you're still seeing the older one.

There'll undoubtedly be some tweaks this week so let us know what you think.

Also, note that the Forums link WILL be put back into the header this evening.

Is there any possibility of a 'click here to go back to old format' button if we prefer to do so?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting used to it actually. The only real problem as noted before is the main non-forum DS page. On the top there's a menu that changes based on over what mouse is. This won't work for touch screens, because there's no such event for touch. I think when changing things you want it touch friendly as well. Do not use mouseover events or add some buttons/areas there that will execute the mouseover code when tapped.
  • Options
    stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that DS has got its finger on the pulse. Was hoping it would look better by the time I woke up. Well done DS, good job, you excelled yourselves this time.
  • Options
    BloodRayneBloodRayne Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Not liking it at the moment but it could grow on me. I prefer the classic one.
  • Options
    MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need the horizontal slide bar back please, I like to view it on half screen andit is now impossible
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't people have better things to be getting worked up over
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    geniusgirl wrote: »
    It's looking better this morning than last night

In what way exactly ?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Whoever thought this up should be sacked or shot - or both !
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Is there any possibility of a 'click here to go back to old format' button if we prefer to do so?

Sort of.

Google for a Chrome or Firefox add-on, 'Stylebot'.
    Add it to your browser.
    Once installed, click on the Stylebot CSS icon (at top right corner of your browser).
    Scroll down and click on 'Install Style from Social'.
    Select and click on 'DS Forums New by dankargo'.

There you go -- a less painful-looking look. It will do while DS tweaks its forum look.

Edit:
    Screenshots of how the dankargo stylesheet looks in DS (taken from my earlier post).
    Screenshot of the quoted bit
    Screenshot of the header area.
  • Options
    Katia_StormKatia_Storm Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it.
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I don't like it! I think someone went a bit overboard with the grey!

Digital Spy: The fifty shades of grey edition..
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Sort of.

Google for a Chrome or Firefox add-on, 'Stylebot'.
    Add it to your browser.
    Once installed, click on the Stylebot CSS icon (at top right corner of your browser).
    Scroll down and click on 'Install Style from Social'.
    Select and click on 'DS Forums New by dankargo'.

There you go -- a less painful-looking look. It will do while DS tweaks its forum look.

Edit:
    Screenshots of how the dankargo stylesheet looks in DS (taken from my earlier post).
    Screenshot of the quoted bit
    Screenshot of the header area.

I think this looks a bit better although there's still far too much padding!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will not go as such, but if this is not changed then I will visit less and post less. Ok some people will say thank goodness for that.
    But I do read other parts of the site, where the adverts are and if enough people cut down their usage that will not be good for advertisers, which at the end of the day is what keeps this site going. Even if they are annoying because the they are huge.

Saying that maybe it is a good thing, I can get on with other things.
  • Options
    martinj1martinj1 Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    for what good reason was it changed?

from all the replies I have read just about everyone says its bad

to those in charge please take note of those who contribute to you site

remember when coke changed the recipe - learn from the please
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why why why why the hell do some people feel we need to have change in our lives all the time? It's ridiculous!

If it ain't broke don't fix it but for some reason these software developer types seem to love constant change and like to tinker with things until it's well and truly screwed up. If something works and people are happy with it then leave it alone.

This is like watching someone take my favourite old pub and rip it apart and give it a wine bar style makeover. Why can't people just leave stuff alone?

I thought they may have reverted back this morning or at least seen some improvements but it's going worse so it looks like they are ploughing ahead regardless of what everyone thinks. Now I see the new thread icons on the left have changed and no more bold thread titles making it more difficult to see new posts at a glance and also the smilies have changed. No more rolleyes smiley. Gutted! This whole scheme looks so basic like it was written on a zx Spectrum by a 10 year old.

If they don't revert it back I certainly won't be making many visits. It hurts my head trying to read anything.
  • Options
    Eittol96Eittol96 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Miller wrote: »
    We're almost done with the skin which you can click here to see if you're still seeing the older one.

There'll undoubtedly be some tweaks this week so let us know what you think.

Also, note that the Forums link WILL be put back into the header this evening.

As a regular iPad user the new look makes the forums virtually unusable. The right hand side of the page is cut off meaning I don't see the entire post, can't move through the thread, etc, etc.

There is too much white space.

Please return it to the previous layout
  • Options
    OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nooooooooooooo I was hoping it was a horrible nightmare!! :(
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have come back today in the hope that it would have been put right, but no, its still the same and given me a headache again, so I will not be here as much as I was, until it is reinstated. such a shame, this was the best forum on the net, now I have to find somewhere else to chat.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Its rather like having, say, a washing machine broken. Suddenly something that you just rely on is gone, and you have the nuisance of looking for a replacement.
    In this case its doubly distressing because it was done on purpose. Presumably, as suspected, its the intention to get rid of the forum ultimately.
This discussion has been closed.