Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke on Leona leaving Syco:
    Burkey also backed Leona Lewis’s decision to leave Sony after seven years.

She added: “I think good on her.

"You either follow your own instinct or follow the advice of your label.

"If those things marry up then it’s perfect but if not you have to go with your gut instinct.”
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    RWTSB wrote: »
    Do you have a link? I would love to hear it. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204066181160147

Only a clip of it though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love When It Hurts but I don't think it would work as a single. What I love about WIT is the beat for it! I think the track is really interesting and different and that makes it stand out. I don't think the vocals on it are all that special or anything though, but the beat makes it sound like a unique R&B track.
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Alexandra Burke on Leona leaving Syco:

I'd so be here for a Leona and Alex duet. The vocal slayage >>>>
  • Options
    Forum Member
    God, that face/skin/hair/body/everything

https://twitter.com/skepanie/status/475489154479181824/photo/1

I swear she's the most beautiful woman ever
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @Popprince
    Loved Walking on Sunshine-total feel good movie for Summer. Hannah Arterton, Leona Lewis & cast at UK Premiere on Wed http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqsUcV1DAfc

Capital reporter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    I'd so be here for a Leona and Alex duet. The vocal slayage >>>>

OMFG Yeah please give me this... I haven't forgotten The Silence yet
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella is signed to Colombia Records in the States, is that better than RCA?

It's the label that 1D are on in the US. But then, Olly and Rebecca also signed to Columbia in the US and look how that turned out.

Something tells me that Simon is going to push really hard to make Ella his "Leona replacement". *rolleyes*

Hopefully Island pump a ton of cash into Leona's next project so that she can generate hype and make a big splash back into the US. :cool:
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BfKd8hCYEw

Just come across this video :D
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think a dark sound is necessarily a commercial disaster. It just has to be interesting. The reason 'Trouble' didn't do well was because the whole campaign was dull - the rap version wasn't promoted, the outfits were boring, the XF performance was dull and the song was seen as standard Leona except a tad darker.

I think first and foremost, Leona's next album has to convey a lot of personality - something Glassheart struggled with. Whether it's happy emotion or sad emotion, it is essential for her album. No more songs like Unlove Me,When It Hurts, I Got You and Lovebird. We have enough of them in Leona's back catalogue.

I'm personally here for a Motown-inspired album but with a contemporary twist. I'm thinking 'Love On Top' by Beyonce kind of sound. An album full of those kind of influences like Beyonce's 4 would be great.
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble was the wrong song to kick start the campaign. Glassheart would have kicked things off more smoothly and led way for a more successful era.
  • Options
    Paul_MarsdenPaul_Marsden Posts: 1,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    It's the label that 1D are on in the US. But then, Olly and Rebecca also signed to Columbia in the US and look how that turned out.

Something tells me that Simon is going to push really hard to make Ella his "Leona replacement". *rolleyes*

Hopefully Island pump a ton of cash into Leona's next project so that she can generate hype and make a big splash back into the US. :cool:

BIB, like that's even possible, there is only one leona lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB, like that's even possible, there is only one leona lol

I think he meant in terms of success. As much as I want Ella to slay, I don't think she'll reach a debut album as big as Leona. Although movie directors have been asking her songs for their movie/show
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of movies, I hope with new management and a new label Leona manages to soundtrack more movies. I See You was a missed opportunity.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he meant in terms of success. As much as I want Ella to slay, I don't think she'll reach a debut album as big as Leona. Although movie directors have been asking her songs for their movie/show

I don't think anyone ever will now. Bar Susan Boyle's I Dreamed A Dream, there's no talent competition competitor that had a bigger debut album than Leona did with Spirit.

It would be great to have an updated figure for the album but it's probably around 8 million, no one will sell that now and nothing will top Bleeding Love. The fact it's averaging 150k sales a year in the US is a test to the track's longevity. Whilst people like to make out Better in Time was a flop, it kept the album selling throughout 2008 in the US & worldwide and hung around on radio for about 6 months.

Whilst Run was a sleeper hit in Europe, it would've been great if she got a 3rd worldwide hit to further establish her, like Take A Bow, and a tour would've been great.. but it still stands as a highly successful & Brit/Grammy nominated era.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Trouble is not the kind of song that you will like after the first listen.
    I started to like it after like a million repeats, because it's leona. I needed to like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it from first play, but I'm deluded.

:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I LOVED Trouble and still do. However looking back, I do see why it was the wrong song to start the album campaign...
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't properly appreciate Trouble until I heard her sing it live. But it's not my favourite song of hers, and for some reason I dislike the Emeli connection. Hopefully Leona doesn't work with her again.
  • Options
    pespes Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I heard trouble..i was really disappointed..and i was certain that would flop..and i was wondering what kind of weird taste leona and her management has...also cuz i had high expectations considering in a chat maloy leona and nicola said that trouble was their favourite single out of GH album..and my disappointment getting worst..with XF performance..i mean vocally was really good..but fraser tweeted that a fresher version would have been performed...but was so boring..the only good performnace of the song was on alan chatty man......i do not know..if I am more disappointed of trouble or the fact that she prefer collide over glassheart as summer smash
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pes wrote: »
    When I heard trouble..i was really disappointed..and i was certain that would flop..and i was wondering what kind of weird taste leona and her management has...also cuz i had high expectations considering in a chat maloy leona and nicola said that trouble was their favourite single out of GH album..and my disappointment getting worst..with XF performance..i mean vocally was really good..but fraser tweeted that a fresher version would have been performed...but was so boring..the only good performnace of the song was on alan chatty man......i do not know..if I am more disappointed of trouble or the fact that she prefer collide over glassheart as summer smash

Collide >>>>>> Glassheart
  • Options
    pespes Posts: 2,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collide >>>>>> Glassheart

I strongly believe if GH was released instead of collide..we would have a fourth number one in uk..and an other destiny for GH album..probably she would have released in 2011..and burn would have been included in the tracklist and released as second smash single
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone's posted this yet, but Giorgio Moroder has posted a song for an upcoming Adult Swim 'free singles' collection, just incase anyone wants to hear something 'fresh' from him to give you an idea of how his album might sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynu17S9XmVU

This isn't a single from the album, just a side project FYI. :)

Side note: I told my manager about this collab the other day as he's a HUGE Giorgio/Disco fan, and he's now got it in his head that she could be his new Donna Summer because she could be 'the voice of modern disco'. Which I actually think is an interesting concept, you take all these elements from disco and EDM and merge them together and you have a really interesting sound, which that track above shows. He said that having him as a collaborator will probably last for a VERY long time if he likes her work ethic and how her vocals sound on the track. I'm really hoping we get a huge anthem from them both :D
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    Envoirment wrote: »

Haven't heard her hitting those big notes in such a great way for a long time :cry: That made my night
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    GreekFan wrote: »
    Haven't heard her hitting those big notes in such a great way for a long time :cry: That made my night

You didn't watch her performance in Berlin?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V93E6gEbIwU

Its so effortless that she has time to fix her jacket! :D
This discussion has been closed.