Penny Dreadful

Comments

• slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    You're far from the only one thinking that.

It's been hinted at so much that it would be a twist for him to *not* be that.
    You could see it comming after the visit to the zoo
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring finale
    Debating whether to tune in to season two to be honest
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Great finale but the Mina stuff was surprisingly meh. They should've kept her alive for next season.

That priest asking Vanessa if she wants to be normal is obviously going to spell trouble as well. I did like her rejecting Dorian though.

Nice to see Malcolm actually choose Vanessa when the chips were down.

Brona became Caliban's bride. Saw it coming. Bad Victor though in a way.

Ethan killing those idiots was interesting. I like the Wolfman plot with him.

I take it Madame Kali will be back for a bigger role next year, 8/10
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. Meh. That finale was not good. Not good at all. In fact the whole series, whilst it had its moments, kind of fizzled out and meandered around going nowhere.

Not going to bother with season 2.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Gave up on this, about 10 mins into the 5th episode - I just got bored with it - from a stunning opening, it just fizzled out.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    A couple of questions about this

What did Ethan do, was it a mini exorcism? It obviously wasn't a full one as Vanessa was talking to the priest about it. And why didn't he help Vanessa earlier in that way?

When Malcolm spiked the demon in the theatre, why did Mina appear to have so much power still when the others girls had retreated en masse in the basement?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I laughed when Caliban put on make up, he looked just like Robert Smith from the Cure.;-)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of questions about this

When Malcolm spiked the demon in the theatre, why did Mina appear to have so much power still when the others girls had retreated en masse in the basement?

I'm guessing he wasn't the Vampire that turned her.

The others had been turned by him so they lost their power when he was killed.

Dracula himself will probably be in Season 2 and it will be revealed that he was the one who bit Mina.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    I'm guessing he wasn't the Vampire that turned her.

The others had been turned by him so they lost their power when he was killed.

Dracula himself will probably be in Season 2 and it will be revealed that he was the one who bit Mina.

That makes sense. It did cross my mind that we hadn't seen 'The Master' as she was still referring to him after the other vampire had been killed and the one that was killed didn't seem very master-like.

Poor Mina, Dracula is supposed to want her. A love story that spans centuries and all that.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did Ethan do, was it a mini exorcism? It obviously wasn't a full one as Vanessa was talking to the priest about it.

Seems to be something like that.

And why didn't he help Vanessa earlier in that way?

This was asked previously.

My assumption is that just because he knew the words, does not mean that he knew they would work if *he* said them.

He had been going on and on about getting a priest, so obviously believed a priest was necessary.

It was only when everything went even more pear-shaped at the end that he spoke the words himself, as a last-ditch attempt out of desperation.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I suspect that maybe Ethan had had exorcism performed on himself to get rid of his werewolf "demon", (maybe by his dad)? And it was a latch ditch attempt by him to try and help Vanessa.

Dodrade - the bit about Caliban and Robert Smith made me laugh - very accurate description LOL!
  • elmerfuddelmerfudd Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe some of you are considering not watching series two, it has been nothing short of tremendous. Loved it from start to finish, amazing cast, Billie Piper was brilliant in it, i wasnt looking forward to her being in it, but she proved me wrong.

Cannot wait for the new series.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elmerfudd wrote: »
    I cannot believe some of you are considering not watching series two, it has been nothing short of tremendous. Loved it from start to finish, amazing cast, Billie Piper was brilliant in it, i wasnt looking forward to her being in it, but she proved me wrong.

Cannot wait for the new series.

Equally I can't believe some of you are going to put themselves through season 2. It was so absolutely p!ss poor.

I am amazed at how polarizing this show is!!! There doesn't seem to be much middle ground - except even those who despair at the program all agree Eva Green was very good.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Victor will have "fixed" Brona's voice for season 2 ;)
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Equally I can't believe some of you are going to put themselves through season 2. It was so absolutely p!ss poor.

I am amazed at how polarizing this show is!!! There doesn't seem to be much middle ground - except even those who despair at the program all agree Eva Green was very good.
    I think the show has been very interesting but the plotting was all over the place. It's like they were trying to give book like depth to a TV show. Can't be done I'm afraid. Still, looking forward to series 2.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    Wonder if Victor will have "fixed" Brona's voice for season 2 ;)

LOL, I hope so! :D

New voice box for the Bride of Franksenstein('s Monster) please...
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think the show has been very interesting but the plotting was all over the place. It's like they were trying to give book like depth to a TV show. Can't be done I'm afraid. Still, looking forward to series 2.

I fully agree, Season two has a approach with caution label attached to it, for me anyway.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eva Green is the best thing about this show. If it wasn't for her it wouldn't be worth watching.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    Eva Green is the best thing about this show. If it wasn't for her it wouldn't be worth watching.

I agree with this a lot. Whilst the other actors are very good, Eva Green is simply superb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    just finished watching season 1

always been a big fan of eva green from before hollywood and wow she is so great in this. she really is on the top of her game right now with 300 penny and sin city soon.

very good show. could of done with being alonger series though. billy piper was also very good.
    is eva coming back for season 2? i cant see how someone as big as her would be committed to doing full seasons on 2. one is fine like mathew mc d did with true detective but this show had no end it needs to go on. is she coming back?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Eva Green didn't get nominated for any awards - best performance I've seen for a long time. The posession scenes gave me goosebumps and I went to bed feeling a bit spooked :blush:
    I can't think of many actresses who would put themselves out there as much as that.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CakeLover wrote: »
    Can't believe Eva Green didn't get nominated for any awards - best performance I've seen for a long time. The posession scenes gave me goosebumps and I went to bed feeling a bit spooked :blush:
    I can't think of many actresses who would put themselves out there as much as that.

The show aired too late to be eligible. It aired five episodes prior to the cut off date, and a show needs to air 6 to be eligible. There is always next year, plus the golden globes in January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    The show aired too late to be eligible. It aired five episodes prior to the cut off date, and a show needs to air 6 to be eligible. There is always next year, plus the golden globes in January.

LOL -I knew I should have checked my facts about that! I did wonder... thanks for explaining.
  • James_Hocking1James_Hocking1 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Hey I'm thinking of watching this, am curious what can I compare this to? Are there any other programmes that it is similar to?