Options

need some advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
Forum Member
Basically, the other night I woke up and my back door has been broken, the window was smashed. I rung up my work and said I wont be able to come in tonight as I need to sort my door out as its been smashed in. (im living on my own as my sis and her BF are in spain for a week, I live with them)

My work then said thats not a good enough excuse.
So, spare of the moment I said well the police are coming round later to get a statement off me. They said when you come back into work next you need proof of that statment,

I have work later today, but what can I say to them? Shall I say the police said its private and confidential?

and the reason I havnt gone to the police is because stuff like this happens all the time where I live and tbh there prob isnt a lot they can do

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doyle369 wrote: »
    Basically, the other night I woke up and my back door has been broken, the window was smashed. I rung up my work and said I wont be able to come in tonight as I need to sort my door out as its been smashed in. (im living on my own as my sis and her BF are in spain for a week, I live with them)

My work then said thats not a good enough excuse.
    So, spare of the moment I said well the police are coming round later to get a statement off me. They said when you come back into work next you need proof of that statment,

I have work later today, but what can I say to them? Shall I say the police said its private and confidential?

and the reason I havnt gone to the police is because stuff like this happens all the time where I live and tbh there prob isnt a lot they can do

Just phone the police and get an incident number, you would need that to get the insurance claim anyway. They wouldn't give you a copy of the statement.

Having your house broken into is a reasonable excuse for not attending work. You shouldn't have lied though.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds to me like your work ain't cutting you no slack, either they don't like you or they're a bunch of dicks.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear you had your back doors smashed in the other night.

Get a crime number as proof.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about take a photo and send the file to your boss as proof?
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I'm just laughing to myself at the thought of you ringing your boss and saying "I can't come into work today as my back doors been well and truly smashed in":D
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    I'm just laughing to myself at the thought of you ringing your boss and saying "I can't come into work today as my back doors been well and truly smashed in":D

Glad it wasn't just me :o:p
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doyle369 wrote: »
    the reason I havnt gone to the police is because stuff like this happens all the time where I live and tbh there prob isnt a lot they can do

So nobody reports anything and the police statistics show a low incidence of crime in the area, so the number of officers gets cut, the budget gets cut and, when you really need them, you get "sorry, all our officers are out on jobs". :rolleyes:

It's in your interest to get a crime number for every single incident.

In any case, the crime number is all your boss needs. He can easily check with the police that's it's a real incident number and relates to your address.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nobody reports anything and the police statistics show a low incidence of crime in the area, so the number of officers gets cut, the budget gets cut and, when you really need them, you get "sorry, all our officers are out on jobs". :rolleyes:

It's in your interest to get a crime number for every single incident.

In any case, the crime number is all your boss needs. He can easily check with the police that's it's a real incident number and relates to your address.

Looks like the OP didn't stay online very long to get any replies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't just me :o:p

Or me
  • Options
    asdf1982asdf1982 Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    your work will be looking for a crime reference number. You should have reported it if only to get that. I also think your sis and boyf wont be happy when they come back as they may have wanted to put in a claim
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Looks like the OP didn't stay online very long to get any replies.

He's gone out to buy Preparation H
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    He's gone out to buy Preparation H

LOL :p
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Is this your job at McDonalds or Apple?