The Originals (Vampire Diaries Spinoff) Discussion Thread

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    We need more insight on Hayley's character and her Family's history which I think they'll definitely explore in the next couple of episodes. Davina annoyed me at first, but I can't help but feel sorry for the girl.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4 -

This show continues to get stronger every episode.

Klaus continues to be a highlight as the shows main focus, he clearly has a plan to be king but doesn't want to remain the soulless monster he's perceived to be, the scenes helping Cammie and wanting to protect Hayley continue to show that. He's funny too, I particularly enjoyed the way he casually threw the violin over the balcony. Elijah being back is great, you knew he couldn't stay out of action for too long.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what happened to the werewolves. They might want to take the town back themselves. They might want to use the baby in that respect.

Since the first time he turned Klaus has not turned into a wolf: he said the experience was amazing. He spent 1000 years so he could be his true self.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer this to TVD in all honesty.
    Forum Member
    Initially I thought the spin off would not work. But I have to admit the show is getting stronger and stronger and it is definitely up a notch from TVD.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    I really didn't understand anything that happened in this episode. Think i need to rewatch it.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    I much prefer this to TVD in all honesty.

I am too think TVD has lost its way and become too much about the love triangle and the not too mention D word:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the latest TVD and it was moving back again to Stelana with Caroline and Stefan going to become an item. All these seasons the same.

With the Originals you can never guess what the characters will do. There is a good chance it will get 'the back nine' as they call it increasing the show to 22 episodes. I really hope they have good stories to tell.
    Forum Member
    Lets not forget that TVD is on it's 5th season. The originals is only on it's 4th episode... Obviously The originals is going to feel fresh and new. I'm sure if The originals ever makes it to a 5th season you will all be saying that you've seen it all before and they are repeating storylines.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Call me curious, but does anyone think they're going to do a 'twilight' with this child, and have him/her grow up real quick?
  • Chris2387Chris2387 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    I still think they'll go the Game of Thrones Daenerys route and the child will never be born. It would fit with the dark tone the show already has. Loved the newest episode btw. Joseph Morgan is just such a gem
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I've not yet seen the latest episode but can say that so far I'm not loving the show....I like it but for me there is just something that makes me go 'meh'. I like JM but the petulant tantrum throwing portrayal of Klaus is wearing a little thin as it was i season 4 of TVD. More Elijah would balance this out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elijah is back but I still hope Kol will be back. I must admit that TVD has not changed from the first season and the introduction of the originals breathed new life into it.

They might go the Angel route and have the baby grow fast. I think it has to be born so that it poses a threat to Klaus. This is a show about a dysfunctional family and it needs more than the 3 we have noe if it to be a success with seasons of 22 episodes.
    Forum Member
    I'm ok with the baby-plot. I think the child will definitely be born, that's already a cert as Joseph Morgan and Claire Holt have openly discussed the child will be born.
    Forum Member
    Thinking back on my previous post, I figure I might be wrong. Considering how long Hayley has so say been pregnant for, she's not showing much in extra size (which you'd expect to see if the child was some mutant birth).
    Elijah is back but I still hope Kol will be back.
    I doubt we'll see Kol (or Finn) except in flashbacks. They're dead, and they met their fate in Mystic Falls. Can't really go bringing one back without the other.
    This is a show about a dysfunctional family and it needs more than the 3 we have noe if it to be a success with seasons of 22 episodes.
    Actually, it's about four (soon to be five). You're forgetting Hayley, and then the soon-to-be child.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't Hailey and she is a werewolf. Elijah only counts her as family because of the child. I think it would be great if she forms a relationship with a werewolf who would want to control the baby's powers. She might do this to get away from the vampires and witches wanting to do the same. Otherwise I can't see any development for the character. She can't stay I'm the same position. I liked her kick ass scene when her eyes changed.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God help me I actually took the plunge last night (after swearing I wouldn't) and watched the first episode. Maybe it was just because there was little Klaus but it wasn't half bad :(

Darn it, now I'll have to watch a couple more before I decide what to do.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,192
    Forum Member
    I'm another one that prefers this to TVD. I was looking forward to a non triangle season in TVD this year but no its back.
    I know in a few years if this show survives I could be saying the same (I probably will to be honest I tend to have a five series attention span usually after that I get bored) but this show feels like it's pitched at a slightly older audience which might mean they dont get stuck in a rut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the UK a series is made and then after that a decision is made whether to ask for more. In the US it really is strange with some networks. First 13 episodes then they ask for 3 more and then perhaps another 9. Joseph said they had just completed episode 8 and how good it was. The producers must have a 13 episode finale, a 16 episode finale and a 22 episode finale all mapped out when they start production.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just caught the pilot on my planner, much much better than the backdoor pilot on TVD.

looks like it could be a great series.
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Lets not forget that TVD is on it's 5th season. The originals is only on it's 4th episode... Obviously The originals is going to feel fresh and new. I'm sure if The originals ever makes it to a 5th season you will all be saying that you've seen it all before and they are repeating storylines.
    I'm not so sure. TVD primarily focuses on that love triangle. Originals focuses (primarily) on a dysfunctional family, and when the child is born, that'll bring another aspect to the show.

You know that (if TVD continues on) Elena will end back up with Stefan at some point, and then probably Damon again (god only knows). Least with the Originals, it's more likely to be different.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy TVD also, I just think the Originals has more of an adult/dark appeal to it, and thus will last longer.
    God help me I actually took the plunge last night (after swearing I wouldn't) and watched the first episode.

Darn it, now I'll have to watch a couple more before I decide what to do.
    whedon247 wrote: »
    just caught the pilot on my planner, much much better than the backdoor pilot on TVD.
    Quit messing around and catch up already. :p
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

Oi, hold yer horses I'm on Syfy speed here:p
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »

lol im also on syfy pace with super tuesdays (vamps at 9,originals at 10

ITS LIKE BUFFY/ANGEL ALL OVER AGAIN:D
    Forum Member
    Tonights episode was my favourite so far this season. I love having Elijah back and there is something really good with him and Davina.

I have two questions though... Why can Klaus compel Cami? I thought everyone in the town couldn't be compelled?

And what happened to the other two originals? I completely forgot what happened on TVD :o Did they just get staked? Or did they actually die? Because i thought originals can't be killed. :confused:
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Tonights episode was my favourite so far this season. I love having Elijah back and there is something really good with him and Davina.

I have two questions though... Why can Klaus compel Cami? I thought everyone in the town couldn't be compelled?

And what happened to the other two originals? I completely forgot what happened on TVD :o Did they just get staked? Or did they actually die? Because i thought originals can't be killed. :confused:

I presume Klaus can compel Cami because as a human she hasn't been aware of vampires until Klaus told her about himself, and therefore she was not on vervaine. I think Marcel mentioned all the vampires in town had started taking vervaine since the Originals arrived, as the Originals can compel other vampires as well as humans.

Originals can be 'neutralised' (as Elijah has demonstrated on numerous occasions) by the silver daggers, provided they have first been dipped in ash from a particular white oak tree, which no longer exists. If the dagger is removed and replaced without first re-dipping it into the ash, simply putting the dagger back into the Original does not neutralise them, as Davina found out.

Originals can be permanently killed by stakes of wood made from that white oak tree. The original tree was destroyed not long after they were turned into vampires, but part of it survived and was later used to build Wickery Bridge. When the TVD gang found this out, they made stakes out of the parts of Wickery bridge (it was being refurbished) and Finn, the next oldest sibling after Elijah, was killed by one of these by Matt.

Later, I think Klaus managed to reclaim all those stakes and destroyed them, but one remained, which was turned into a vampire hunter weapon for Alaric - I think by Esther, and this one was used by Jeremy on Kol, with Elena's help.

Therefore Finn and Kol are now permanently dead, and when they died, all the vampires who had been sired by them or descended from their vampire bloodline also died.