New contacts lens sight issues.

~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have worn contacts for about three years and always have no problems with them.

I went for eye test and contact lens check at the opticians last Friday and over the year my eyes had got quite a bit worse and was given a new stronger prescription pair of contacts and have been wearing them daily since. But since wearing them I have noticed that they have improved my overall sight quite a bit, as in distance. But when I am looking at closer things like my laptop screen or the Sky TV planner on the telly, the writing is blurred and not as sharp as it used to be in my old weaker contacts,

Should I go see my optician again and mention it or could it be a case of just my eyes adjusting the the new stronger prescription? Has any one else has this sort of problem before?

ETA: I have had to wear my old (weaker prescription) glasses AS WELL as my new contacts tonight and as soon as i put them on everything is a lot sharper, the computer screen, the writing on the telly and my overall vision. So now I am a bit worried:(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Jane~ wrote: »
    I have worn contacts for about three years and always have no problems with them.

I went for eye test and contact lens check at the opticians last Friday and over the year my eyes had got quite a bit worse and was given a new stronger prescription pair of contacts and have been wearing them daily since. But since wearing them I have noticed that they have improved my overall sight quite a bit, as in distance. But when I am looking at closer things like my laptop screen or the Sky TV planner on the telly, the writing is blurred and not as sharp as it used to be in my old weaker contacts,

Should I go see my optician again and mention it or could it be a case of just my eyes adjusting the the new stronger prescription? Has any one else has this sort of problem before?

ETA: I have had to wear my old (weaker prescription) glasses AS WELL as my new contacts tonight and as soon as i put them on everything is a lot sharper, the computer screen, the writing on the telly and my overall vision. So now I am a bit worried:(

I don't know why you ask the question:confused:

Of course you should go back, the prescription is obviously wrong.
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked it in case any one else had similar issues with new prescription lenses and after a few days it settled down after the eyes adjusted.

And it's not obviously a wrong prescription, there could just be a simple explanation that other people who are lens wearers may know or an optician may be on here.

People who come here for advice don't need to be jumped on and told immediately to go see the dr/ optician when they are only asking link minded people/ people who have had the same thing a bit of advice, we know not many people here are trained medics, but I was only really aiming this as contact wearers.

Sorry for the rant but all to often people come in here and jumped on when all they are asking is if anyone else has experience something to maybe stop them worrying until is normal office hours to get hold of an optician ect.

Any help from anyone else would be appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked it in case any one else had similar issues with new prescription lenses and after a few days it settled down after the eyes adjusted.

And it's not obviously a wrong prescription, there could just be a simple explanation that other people who are lens wearers may know or an optician may be on here.

People who come here for advice don't need to be jumped on and told immediately to go see the dr/ optician when they are only asking link minded people/ people who have had the same thing a bit of advice, we know not many people here are trained medics, but I was only really aiming this as contact wearers.

Sorry for the rant but all to often people come in here and jumped on when all they are asking is if anyone else has experience something to maybe stop them worrying until is normal office hours to get hold of an optician ect.

Any help from anyone else would be appreciated.

I wasn't jumping on you. The script isn't right if you can't see what you are supposed to.

I wear varifocals and the new ones do take a few days to get used to but my vision isn't impaired.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    It looks like the new prescription corrects the short sight but this now means that you are long sighted with the contacts in. You may need reading glasses to compensate. Just a growing old problem, unfortunately.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the new prescription corrects the short sight but this now means that you are long sighted with the contacts in. You may need reading glasses to compensate. Just a growing old problem, unfortunately.

^^ this. It's part of getting older I'm afraid. My contacts are now fine for distance stuff, but I've had to get a pair of +1 reading glasses for the closer stuff. Got a pair of varifocals on order for when I'm not wearing my lenses as the two prescriptions I need are so different. Have a chat with your optician anyway, but it might be worth picking up some cheap reading glasses. (Quick tip, Boots will charge you £20 for what you can get for a fiver on Amazon)
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I had a similar issue about 2 years ago

My optician decided my prescription had changed and I wore new lens, my distance vision was better but close vision now. I found it difficult to work because I work on a computer and it was quite blurry. I went back after 2 weeks (because they were a new type of lens) and retried my old prescription at the lower strength and found that my eyes were ok on that.

Its worth going back and explaining. My optician does say if in doubt take them out but I think in your case just book another appointment
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I agree go back to your optician and tell them what the problem is. Contacts shouldn't be doing that especially if your old prescription wasn't. I wear mine all the time and can read with them in. Also it maybe an idea just to ask them to check if you are getting slightly long-sighted.
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member

Exactly - a stronger prescription to correct distance vision can eventually (often with advancing age) result in a the need for reading glasses too when wearing the contacts.

I wore contact lenses for 16 hours per day for over 20 years (to correct mild short-sightedness) with no problems reading, but when the "tipping point" was reached where I needed to wear reading glasses "on top" of them for work, I abandoned contacts and reverted to spectacles.

I could then work and carry out many other daily activities without glasses, so on balance I was wearing glasses for fewer hours per day than I would have needed to had I persisted with the contacts (I only really needed the glasses for driving, sports, watching TV etc.)
    Should I go see my optician again and mention it or could it be a case of just my eyes adjusting the the new stronger prescription?

This question is often asked in threads relating to contact lenses/glasses, but it demonstrates a misunderstanding of how vision correction works.

Eyes don't adjust to a new prescription. If the prescription is correct, then it's correct and vision should be clear in all fields.

In the case of the OP, it would appear that the optician/optometrist has failed to detect/record the need for correction at reading distances or didn't think it significant. There are several options available to handle this problem, but it will require a repeat visit to discuss them.
  • allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    krytenk wrote: »
    ^^ this. It's part of getting older I'm afraid. My contacts are now fine for distance stuff, but I've had to get a pair of +1 reading glasses for the closer stuff. Got a pair of varifocals on order for when I'm not wearing my lenses as the two prescriptions I need are so different. Have a chat with your optician anyway, but it might be worth picking up some cheap reading glasses. (Quick tip, Boots will charge you £20 for what you can get for a fiver on Amazon)

This! Worth revisiting the Optician, but the above is probably how it's going to be I'm afraid. Reading glasses may be a necessity as you get older. Incidentally, if you do need to get reading glasses, just get the cheapest you can. Asda, Tesco and even Poundland do dirt cheap reading glasses that are perfectly adequate for most people. :cool::cool::cool:
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I have made an appointment with the optician for later this afternoon and will hopefully get it sorted.

This thread made me feel old with all the age comments, I'm only 30! Nah I'm joking, I know eyes get progressively worse with the dreaded ageing process. So thanks again :)

ETA: I have put my contacts back in this morning, looked at the sky tv planner and its perfect clear again. Now I'm thinking it could have been a bit of tiredness or eyes make up on the lenses making everything slightly out of focus. :confused: But will still go in to the opticians later and let them know.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes it does take the eyes a little while to get used to the new level of focus etc. You've done the right thing. Even if they recommend you try them for a week and then report back. At least you're getting it checked.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I have made an appointment with the optician for later this afternoon and will hopefully get it sorted.

This thread made me feel old with all the age comments, I'm only 30! Nah I'm joking, I know eyes get progressively worse with the dreaded ageing process. So thanks again :)

ETA: I have put my contacts back in this morning, looked at the sky tv planner and its perfect clear again. Now I'm thinking it could have been a bit of tiredness or eyes make up on the lenses making everything slightly out of focus. :confused: But will still go in to the opticians later and let them know.

Mine go blurry sometimes, especially if I am tired or I get sleep on them in the morning.
  • BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    I've got one lens for reading and one for distance.
    Sounds weird, but it works.

It took me about a week to get used to it.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member

There are two other alternatives but they may not suit everybody and ~Jane~ would have to try these solutions out with her optician.

These days you can get bifocal contact lenses to cater for both near and distant vision although they do tend to be a bit more expensive than standard lenses. The second alternative is called monovision.

With monovision, you wear a standard contact lens on one eye to cater for distance vision and a different prescription standard contact lens on the other eye to cater for near vision. The lens for distance vision is usually worn on the dominant eye. Some people get on well with that solution and some people don't.
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first got lenses (daily disposables) they were great for distance vision, but when it came to reading, all of a sudden my arms weren't long enough. I went back and they adjusted the prescription in my left eye slightly. Reading is now okay with them in - but better without them - although my distance vision is not *quite* so good . Not ideal, but the compromise worked for me.