Mom - the anna faris sitcom

Comments

• MoontakerMoontaker Posts: 3,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This comedy surprised me, I quite liked it. I think Anna Faris brings alot of warmth to the character. I haven't been impressed with US sitcoms in the last few years apart from the US Office and P and R. I'm keen to keep watching Mom to see how or if it evolves.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a lot better than Brooklyn 99.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the first two episodes of this. I haven't really watched much Anna Faris stuff before, but she and Allison Janney (who will forever be CJ Cregg to me) have great chemistry and really carry the show.

There's a lovely bittersweet quality about the underlying premise too. Both Bonnie and Christy were teenage mums, both succumbed to substance abuse, both have chequered histories with men. Christy is desperate to stop following in her mother's footsteps - and now Violet is in danger of repeating family history again. It's a nice set-up which makes the characters symapthetic as well as offering plenty of scope for comedy.

Christy: Mom, I’ve watched you lick cocaine crumbs out of a shag carpet.

Bonnie: It isn't a sin to be thrifty, dear. :)

Interesting to see that, after modest ratings initially, viewer numbers are picking up well since November sweeps. A stronger run of episodes and good word-of-mouth, I assume?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings have increased but the demos are not matching and US are more bothered about demo's than ratings themselves. Mom hasn't been a total flop, but it's future is very unclear. The only new sitcom this season that will deffo be back next season is The Millers.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Why do US TV audiences feel the need to whoop and holler when a guest star appears? The laugher annoys me a lot but the guest star is on a whole new level and ruins what looks like a good show.

because they're primed by the studio floor manager.

The popular guest was Jon Cryer who is in Two and A Half Men which is a Chuck Lorre show.

Mom was (co-)created and is produced by by guess who? ;-)
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having now watched the first 15 episodes I must say I am enjoying this show. The characters are all good, the interaction and chemistry between the characters is good. The dialogues and even the slapstick moments (especially at the expense of boss Gabriel) provide several laugh-out-loud moments per episode. There are some interesting developing story arcs and some nice gimmicky comedy touches, such as the assistant chef (Paul?) who never speaks except for whispering into Chef Rudy's ear like Sooty.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mom is really hitting its stride now. On Monday it got its highest rating of the series (9.6m) which is 1.6m higher than it started at, and a 2.4 in the demo which is significantly up on the 1.9 from the previous week. It was also the best episode too, the show keeps getting better and better and it's actually funny!

With the slightly dark elements of humour and dealing with stuff that it does, it sort of reminds me of Roseanne.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Have watched a few episodes of this on ITV2 and I'm enjoying it (only up to episode 7 though). Not your standard sitcom in that it's pretty heavy at times. Allison Janney is fantastic as Bonnie. It's worth watching the show just for her. I don't think Anna Faris can quite be her usual funny, kooky self because her character's an unlikeable alcoholic but she still makes me laugh.

Hopefully it gets renewed. :)
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is pretty funny. I like the bitchiness and caustic one liners between her mother and the other older lady.
  • varsasvarsas Posts: 1,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fiancée and I didn't think much of the first couple of episodes on ITV but it's improved and good fun to watch especially for the superb Allison Janey; the introduction of Mimi Kennedy's Majorie has also been excellent and we're enjoying how they play off each other.
  • lovetochatlovetochat Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised this thread has fizzled out.

I find Mom really funny with some hilarious one liners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second season hasn't started in the UK yet so that would probably explain it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when Mom will be coming back?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This returns next Monday 2nd March with a double episode on ITV2.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if it was just that I happened to be in a good mood but I really enjoyed this weeks episode (this thread title does not specify, but I am watching at US pace). The characters are all very good and I know it is mainly about the girls but I must say that I think Baxter is very well played. The canned laughter and other audience reaction noises work OK for me. I even joined in with the sympathetic "Ahhh" for the boy Roscoe.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    Don't know if it was just that I happened to be in a good mood but I really enjoyed this weeks episode (this thread title does not specify, but I am watching at US pace). The characters are all very good and I know it is mainly about the girls but I must say that I think Baxter is very well played. The canned laughter and other audience reaction noises work OK for me. I even joined in with the sympathetic "Ahhh" for the boy Roscoe.

Yes it's a good series and I liked last night's US episode too.

Loved the bit where Roscoe went for a brownie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening episode for season 2 was funny in places but I thought it felt quite downbeat especially with the ending.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as it's on ITV2, I can't remember how I managed to see a trailer for it* and decided to give it a go, but I'm glad I did. I loved series one, but thought that inevitably it'd get axed. Thank goodness it didn't, as series two has been great so far. I'd never heard of Anna Faris or Alison Janey prior to this, but they're brilliant, Janey especially. So bitchy, especially with Marjorie. :D It's also good to see a family based US sitcom that isn't too 'cutesy'. It jokes about drugs, alcohol, cancer, sex, and the re-curing theme from series one about teen pregnancy and giving the baby up for adoption was both funnily and sensitively handled.

More chef Rudi though ! :D He's brilliant and its a criminal waste of French Stewart's look and delivery to only give him a few lines, although I realise it'd be difficult to expand the character without bringing him into the family, as they did when he 'dated' Bonnie.

* ETA - yes I do, it was when ITV2 were showing TAAHM from the start between 8 - 9, (with Mom following it). They don't do that anymore, it seems to be on about midnight. OT I know, but does anyone know why they moved it to a graveyard slot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @gashead: I'm surprised you've not heard of Allison Janney, have you heard of the series 'The West Wing' or more recently 'Masters of Sex'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    varsas wrote: »
    @gashead: I'm surprised you've not heard of Allison Janney, have you heard of the series 'The West Wing' or more recently 'Masters of Sex'?

and the films

American Beauty, Hairspray, Juno, Drop dead gorgeous, The Help and Tammy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard of them, yes, but never watched them. I know they star Martin Sheen and Michael Sheen respectively (I'm guessing she also crops up in TAAHM :D), but couldn't have named anyone else in them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and the films

Indeed, a very talented actress. It was surprising seeing her in a comedy like this but she has been superb imho.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and the films

Again, heard of, but from that list, only watched American Beauty, and that was what, late '90's? Too long ago for me to recall her being in it. She's clearly a very good character actor though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, a very talented actress. It was surprising seeing her in a comedy like this but she has been superb imho.

I think it's because Mom isn't your typical sitcom. It touches on tough subjects in a funny but honest way. I can't recall any sitcoms where the central theme is about addiction.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because Mom isn't your typical sitcom. It touches on tough subjects in a funny but honest way. I can't recall any sitcoms where the central theme is about addiction.

I really think the canned laughter is very out of place in mom. Its a bit darker than your standard sitcom, and would deffo work better without it