Options

terry gillian on kermodes&mayos radio show

mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
Forum Member
yet another interview for a director who is beloved by movie buffs but hasnt had a hit film in years

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrblank wrote: »
    yet another interview for a director who is beloved by movie buffs but hasnt had a hit film in years

He made Brazil - He gets a free pass for life.

I`ve had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times, the last one at a party, and even though he didn`t really know me from Adam he was happy to chat, not at all "who the **** are you?" and we spent some convivial time talking about the then unfilmed Watchmen which he was trying to get off the ground. A thoroughly nice man.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the exception of The brothers Grimm I've enjoyed all his films.

He wrote The life of Brian - the funniest film ever. I'm sure he's loved by more than just movie buffs.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He must have really good friends in high places for them to keep financing his projects. He's lucky he's not involved in the Hollywood profit driven studio system anymore.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is it important to have a hit film?. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Why is it important to have a hit film?. :confused:

That is what directors like Peter Greenaway, Michael Winterbottom, Jane Campion etc etc say all the time.
    Praised by The Guardian and The Independant , but making stuff that hardly anyone is interested in seeing.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not bothered if a director makes hit films. Let alone how recent they have been. It doesn't necessarily make for a good interview.
    However I am interested in directors who have made good films, of which Terry Gilliam has made a few.

From what I've seen of him when I have seen him interviewed he's offered interesting opinions. That's all the criteria an interviewee needs to fulfill for me.
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listened to it on the way home from work, cracking interview...could listen to him all day! loved him speaking about kids these days...taking pics and videos of events and not actually experiencing the events!
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    well, it's Gilliam, not Gillian. One of the most inventive and creative people around and I give thanks for that.
    Brilliant animator. Try doing this before there were any computers around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TpH79Q7dh4
    It'd be quite something to see his version of Die Hard 5 or whatever :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Why shouldn't they interview him? The show is aimed at "movie buffs", so it makes sense that they'd interview guests the audience like...
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Wetherby wrote: »
    That is what directors like Peter Greenaway, Michael Winterbottom, Jane Campion etc etc say all the time.
    Praised by The Guardian and The Independant , but making stuff that hardly anyone is interested in seeing.
    And thus the importance of promotion and distribution. Funding is one thing, getting it across another.

It's sad when talents like of Gilliam and Lynch are said to be in difficulties, scraping round for a deal etc.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    He made Brazil - He gets a free pass for life.

12 Monkeys gets him a life pass from me. I've lost count of the times I've watched it.

"The movie never changes, it can't change, but everytime you see it, it seems to be different because you're different, you notice different things."