Options

Avril Lavigne - Hello Kitty music video. Racist??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avMo9ssoQL0

Got taken off of Vevo earlier and it's been trending on Facebook and Twitter. Apparently this is racist towards Japanese girls?

I think the video is quite bizzarre in a fun way. :D

Comments

• Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expected this to happen.
    Though I'd like to think the main reason it was removed was for crimes against music:blush:
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way is it racist? I saw the video and saw nothing of racism. It's a music video set in Japan, why shouldn't there be Japanese people in it?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's here if anyone wants to see it - http://www.avrillavigne.com/us/news/hello-kitty-video
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    In what way is it racist? I saw the video and saw nothing of racism. It's a music video set in Japan, why shouldn't there be Japanese people in it?

Its more that the entire concept is a bit condescending.

I guess shes trying to ride a bandwagon of the popularity of K & J Pop, but this just looks inauthentic.

At nearly 30 she needs to present a more mature image.

Oh- and the song is GODAWFUL!!
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it the song is a bit keshaesque

did find anything bad/or even slighly offensive in the video
  • Options
    breakofdawnbreakofdawn Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I don't see how it's racist, but then again I'm not Japanese and know little of their culture so what do I know. Maybe they do find it racist.

Personally I just find it offensive because the song is utter rubbish. I'd read about Avril hyping it up before, something about it being a fun song. Ok it's sort of nice to see her try something different, but unfortunately the results are not good. Not good at all. Also the video is awful.
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Japanese friend doesn't see how or why it's considered racist. The video was produced in Japan by a Japanese crew anyway, by Avril's Japanese label, so it wasn't intentionally done. Even the product placement is Japanese.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think its a good video. Not sure how its racist. Seems to me like the American media once again making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an embarrassing song and this is coming from a fan of hers!
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's just playing up to her popularity in Asia.
  • Options
    constantino_chrconstantino_chr Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are so, so, so STUPID. Every other week a pop star posts a video which happens to feature people of another race, so that instantly makes them racist, supposedly. Funnily enough, it's never someone from that race claiming to be offended, it's a self-important, terribly (and usually white) journalist who thinks that somehow they are doing the world a favor by 'calling them out'.

Rant over :)
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just awful really. This is how you do a Japanese single: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXZWudcVzEg

But then Avril can't really compete with that. Epic really messed her up a lot. She should try and get back to her old, more rockier sound.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just social justice warriors at it again. They are best ignored, but worryingly they seem to be constantly multiplying in number and are very loud and difficult to avoid.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »

I guess shes trying to ride a bandwagon of the popularity of K & J Pop, but this just looks inauthentic.

She's still huge in Japan.
  • Options
    adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    The song is quite catchy. But she just looks so bored in the video and just something off in the video. I Wouldn't say its racist.
  • Options
    Cassie..Cassie.. Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not even remotely racist.

Still one of the worst songs ive ever heard. She used to be quite good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turning on a light is racist these days, keyboard warriors just can't function unless they are complaining about something.

Just the kind of music video I imagined in my head ever since I first heard the song.

I would have loved Give You What You Like or Bitchin' Summer to have been singles as they are my two favorite tracks from the album.

For me, Avril's latest album is painfully underrated and possibly her best overall imo. Wish it got the recognition it deserved.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having watched the video I am more offended by the song itself than anything else. The lyrics are like something you'd expect a 12 year old to sing. Can't believe this is the same artist who made some of the brilliant songs on Goodbye Lullaby (aside from the ones forced onto it by her idiot label).

I found the line about "like a fat kid on a pack of Smarties" bizarre and uncomfortable.

I know this song is aimed at her Japanese fans but surely they deserve better than this!
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You summed it up for me. It's more stereotyping than racist.

In fact, I will bet No One has called it racist,I bet it was the marketing people who put some lines out there and the media has run with it. The video has had 6 million hits, probably half of whom were just checking the video to see if it is racist. Big win for the record label.

And grow up avril, I watched it thinking "are you twelve?".

Saying that though, she looks bored and lacklustre in the video,maybe she was actually embarrassed to be making the video at all?
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree. Didnt like the song at all. She is not suited to pop stuff. I prefer her as the rock chick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These should have been singles at some point they are brilliant songs.

Give You What You Like
    Hush Hush