Options

PS3 and PS4 HDMI Problem

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all,

I currently have a Duronic HDMI Switch which I have my PS3 and PS4 connected to.

It's worked fine, but recently the HDMI cable for the PS3 has found to be pretty loose at both ends, so I decided to buy a new HDMI cable. I get the message 'Mode not supported' when using it, so I tried two other HDMI cables and get the same issue!

All my cables are just basic cheap ones, but this one I've been using for a while which is a bit flimsy seems to be the only one that works.

I tried testing the resolution outputs on my PS3 and all cables work when outputting at all settings, apart from 1080p. I thought maybe it was the Duronic switch or something, but the other cheap flimsy cable outputs 1080p fine.

I'm confused lol any ideas? I don't know whether it's a 'v1.3 or v1.4' HDMI problem? No versions are noted on the cables. I just want to replace my PS3 HDMI cable lol but can't get any other one to work.

It's defo something to do with the switch though as all the cables work when plugged directly into the TV, I just don't understand what's going on.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If direct connection to the TV is fine then I agree, it sounds like the switch.

Have you tried the testing the port on the switch that is currently connected to the PS4 on the PS3 instead?

Or do you have another spare port on the switch you haven't yet tried?

Given the price of switches nowadays I'd consider buying a new one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No luck, I don't get this at all....

HDTV > New Cable > PS3 = Works Perfect
    HDTV > New Cable > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS3 = 'Mode/Resolution Not Supported'
    HDTV > Any cable I have > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS3 = 'Mode/Resolution Not Supported'
    HDTV > Cheap flimsy cable which works > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS3 = Works Perfect

What's interesting, is that with all the above methods, I reset the PS3 resolution settings and it works when I select all resolutions apart from 1080p, so 1080p is causing the above issues.

But then with the cheap flimsy cable I have, 1080p works... why won't any other HDMI cable work? I need to change the flimsy cable as the connector keeps falling out of the connection on the PS3 as it's so cheap and rubbish, but then it's the only one that works, and I'm not determined out of curiosity to find out why this is happening.

I just don't see where the problem lies in the above.

Just did a test on the PS4 this time -

HDTV > New Cable > PS4 = Works Perfect
    HDTV > New Cable > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS4 = Screen flickers badly and then eventually goes black.
    HDTV > Any cable I have > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS4 = Screen flickers badly and then eventually goes black.
    HDTV > Any cable I have > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS4 via all resolutions apart from 1080p = All ok
    HDTV > Cable that came with my PS4 > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS4 = Works Perfect
    HDTV > Cheap cable whcih works ok with PS3 > Duronic HDMI Switch > PS4 = Screen flickers badly and then eventually goes black.

So again, 1080p output won't work with any cable apart from the cable that came with my PS4, so is this a switch problem or a cable problem? I'd say it was the switch, but then the PS4 cable works ok via 1080p output. Even the working cable for the PS3 doesn't work with the PS4!

CONFUSED!
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out that list. You have ps3 via switch to cheap flimsy cable and original ps4 cable via switch to ps4. You say those work perfect so leave then that way.

You sure its not the cable from switch to tv thats intermittently the problem. Each time you move it you get random result.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Out that list. You have ps3 via switch to cheap flimsy cable and original ps4 cable via switch to ps4. You say those work perfect so leave then that way.

You sure its not the cable from switch to tv thats intermittently the problem. Each time you move it you get random result.

I tried changing that too.

The thing is, I need to change the flimsy cable as the connection is loose. Not only that, but there shouldn't be this many issues. You have the same box as me and you don't have these problems Gilly, does your TV display 1080p or is it just HD Ready?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1080p
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really weird problem. Seems like it must be an issue with the switch. Quite why its taken a liking to only two cables though is strange.

Have you got any other HDMI equipment you could try running through the switch with all those cables? Seems like the next move to try and ID the problem a bit more. But it seems like the switch may have some issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Really weird problem. Seems like it must be an issue with the switch. Quite why its taken a liking to only two cables though is strange.

Have you got any other HDMI equipment you could try running through the switch with all those cables? Seems like the next move to try and ID the problem a bit more. But it seems like the switch may have some issues.

I think it's the cables. The ones I bought are poundland specials and a couple of 99p ones from ebay. Might not work well with a switch, so have ordered these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052SCU8U/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They seem better quality. If they don't work, then it's clearly a switch problem. If the PS4 cable hadn't worked then I would have opted for a new switch, I just think maybe the switch isn't liking cheap cables for some reason.
  • Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's the switch. Some switches can't handle the power requirements for switching and displaying properly (which could be made worse with cheap cables, but it shouldn't make a different what cable you use).

I had a switch that worked fine with the PS3 but the PS4 screen would flicker after ten minutes and then be unplayable. I had to get rid of the switch in the end as there was no combination that would have both consoles switching and displaying properly.

Have you got the switch powered by an external plug or just the PS3? The PS4 cable wont power the switch as the PS4 seems to not send power through as the PS3 does (the PS3 will therefore always be the overiding signal on a switch and should be inputin anything other than input 1). The PS4 should be in input 1. You then manually press the switch to be on the PS4 channel and turn the PS4 on. After that, when the PS4 turns off, the switch should revert to the PS3 channel until the PS4 is switched on again).

But you switch may just not be cut out for it. I got rid of the brick style switch and went for one that was a cable that went in to the TV with a built in switch (meaning you don't need an output HDMI cable). This works perfectly and I no longer have any issues with switching between PS3 and PS4 and displaying at 1080p from both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    it's the switch. Some switches can't handle the power requirements for switching and displaying properly (which could be made worse with cheap cables, but it shouldn't make a different what cable you use).

I had a switch that worked fine with the PS3 but the PS4 screen would flicker after ten minutes and then be unplayable. I had to get rid of the switch in the end as there was no combination that would have both consoles switching and displaying properly.

Have you got the switch powered by an external plug or just the PS3? The PS4 cable wont power the switch as the PS4 seems to not send power through as the PS3 does (the PS3 will therefore always be the overiding signal on a switch and should be inputin anything other than input 1). The PS4 should be in input 1. You then manually press the switch to be on the PS4 channel and turn the PS4 on. After that, when the PS4 turns off, the switch should revert to the PS3 channel until the PS4 is switched on again).

But you switch may just not be cut out for it. I got rid of the brick style switch and went for one that was a cable that went in to the TV with a built in switch (meaning you don't need an output HDMI cable). This works perfectly and I no longer have any issues with switching between PS3 and PS4 and displaying at 1080p from both.

I think it's a mixture of both the switch and the cables. I think the switch I'm using doesn't like cheap cables for some reason. It works perfect with the cable that came with my PS4 and this cable also works fine with my PS3 so this is why I have ordered some of the Amazon cables. If that doesn't work then I'll need a new setup.

Can you link me to the cables you bought please? The whole reason I need a switch is because I only have 2 HDMI ports on my TV and I need 3.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    I think it's a mixture of both the switch and the cables. I think the switch I'm using doesn't like cheap cables for some reason. It works perfect with the cable that came with my PS4 and this cable also works fine with my PS3 so this is why I have ordered some of the Amazon cables. If that doesn't work then I'll need a new setup.

Can you link me to the cables you bought please? The whole reason I need a switch is because I only have 2 HDMI ports on my TV and I need 3.

i got a Polaroid one from ASDA....i was initally dubious but it works a treat...

its triangle shaped and £17, dont know the model number, they only do that one i think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got a Polaroid one from ASDA....i was initally dubious but it works a treat...

its triangle shaped and £17, dont know the model number, they only do that one i think

Thank you, but the Duronic one should work with my consoles according to reviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331238246884?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

This is the type I have. No other type of switch would work with PS3 and PS4.

It has nothing to do with your cheap cables, if it was your cables you would get no signal at all with a driect connection, but a direct connection for you is just fine. DO NOT waste money on replacing cables until you have a new switch.

The Duronic one is almost the same as the one I was trying to get to work. It doesn't have the quality of chips that allow the pass through of the correct HDMI signal your TV requires. It might well say it should would, but in practice you will never get it to work. I tried every single combination I could with my old switch until I gave up and went for the type I have posted above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have same switch as void and mine works fine switching as required between ps3 and ps4, however it might break down eventually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have same switch as void and mine works fine switching as required between ps3 and ps4, however it might break down eventually
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/331238246884?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

This is the type I have. No other type of switch would work with PS3 and PS4.

It has nothing to do with your cheap cables, if it was your cables you would get no signal at all with a driect connection, but a direct connection for you is just fine. DO NOT waste money on replacing cables until you have a new switch.

The Duronic one is almost the same as the one I was trying to get to work. It doesn't have the quality of chips that allow the pass through of the correct HDMI signal your TV requires. It might well say it should would, but in practice you will never get it to work. I tried every single combination I could with my old switch until I gave up and went for the type I have posted above.

I got one of them at first but wasn't happy with the quality on screen. How can it be down to the switch though if my sony cable works perfect with the PS3 and PS4 outputting at 1080p?

All the other switches seem to be poor quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok well it's not the switch then. Received a totally different brand of switch today -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DYW6AF0/?tag=ho01f-21

Same exact issue. Last resort will be the higher quality cables I have on order. Completely thrown me this!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok well it's not the switch then. Received a totally different brand of switch today -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DYW6AF0/?tag=ho01f-21

Same exact issue. Last resort will be the higher quality cables I have on order. Completely thrown me this!

It is the switch, none of those contain the correct chips to allow the full and proper HDMI hand shake to make them work properly. If you get one to work then it's pure luck or down to your TV.

The cables go from your device to the switch, the switch then outputs the signal but is effectively another connection and not a pure extension of the signal that was input. If the switch you are using is cheap and of poor quality (most are) devices where copy protection is an issue (almost anything that uses an HDMI cable) is likely to have an issue with the signal that is eventually piped through to the TVs.

The fact that direct connections with HDMI cables all work proves that it is the switch that is causing the issue and will never work if you keep on trying. The switch isn't faulty. It might well work with other types of HDMI devices, but there seems to be issues with the HDMI protection settings (or whatever it is that allows a full handshake).

Don't be fooled in to thinking the switch I linked to gave you a poor picture quality. The only reason they would do that is if they were not full HD compatible (I've not seen any that aren't). The signal over HDMI is digital, there is absolutely no improvement in picture from cheap cables or expensive cables. As it is digital, it will either work or it won't. It is that simple. The picture quality won't be poor it just wont be there or will flicker on and off.

I really recommend you stop attempting to get this type of switch to work and go for a different brand and one that isn't so cheap I'm afraid (cheap switches are an issue, unlike cheap cables).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem solved...

Got my AmazonBasics HDMI cables today and they work perfectly with the switch outputting at 1080p. I then tried the old cables I had and the problem was still there.

So this has proved the problem was down to cheap crappy cables which I'll now stay well away from. I have to say the image on screen looks a bit brighter too with these new cables.
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem solved...

Got my AmazonBasics HDMI cables today and they work perfectly with the switch outputting at 1080p. I then tried the old cables I had and the problem was still there.

So this has proved the problem was down to cheap crappy cables which I'll now stay well away from. I have to say the image on screen looks a bit brighter too with these new cables.

Glad you sorted it - I hate stuff like that where it takes a while to suss it out.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough I purchased a 3 port HDMI switch for under £3 and 4 £1 HDMI cables and have no issues with my PS3 or PS4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Oddly enough I purchased a 3 port HDMI switch for under £3 and 4 £1 HDMI cables and have no issues with my PS3 or PS4.

That's really weird!
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really weird!

Yeah I wasn't expecting much, here are the ones I bought.

Betron switch - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCPY5Y0/
    HDMI Cables - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-up-Plated-Connectors-Cable-v1-3A-Black/dp/B0017RW94A/

The prices on them vary but at the time I got them the switch was £2.99 and the cables were 98p.

Betron also sell the switch with cables here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCPY62G/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Yeah I wasn't expecting much, here are the ones I bought.

Betron switch - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCPY5Y0/
    HDMI Cables - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wired-up-Plated-Connectors-Cable-v1-3A-Black/dp/B0017RW94A/

The prices on them vary but at the time I got them the switch was £2.99 and the cables were 98p.

Betron also sell the switch with cables here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KCPY62G/

I actually tried both of those in the links and had no luck.

You sure you're displaying at 1080p? I'd check your Playstation display settings and also check what the image resolution is via the TV menu. I could output at 1080i no problems, but no luck with 1080p.