MasterChef Canada

Comments

• ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that Kaila the Stepford-Sex Doll survived last night.

I'm hoping at some point she short-circuit's and goes all Arnie on the blue-haired Animé Baddie chef (Arnie in T1 obviously...)
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I'm impressed that they've somehow managed to add in the bitchiness and backstabbing of a Big Brother or Apprentice series to the normal Masterchef-type setup.

It's somehow compulsive viewing even if its not good viewing, if that makes any sense.

It makes perfect sense!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been dipping in and out of this series. Mostly, the contestants I'm not warming to really so I've not felt the need to watch them all.

The one with the eyes and mouth and the big head but tiny body is creeping OH out so he doesn't allow it on.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahahahahahaahaha! I just googled Kaila, and found her Twitter photo.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/625467808/real_estate_dress.jpg

(no spoilers on the photo, don't worry! Although I do know now where she finished.)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of what makes Kaila look so odd is her posture. She leans back very slightly, especially when she's reacting to someone talking to her, and moves her head backwards away from people. It looks really peculiar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I think part of what makes Kaila look so odd is her posture. She leans back very slightly, especially when she's reacting to someone talking to her, and moves her head backwards away from people. It looks really peculiar.

For me it's the eyebrows, they give a permanently surprised look to her. Unfortunately, the rest of her face always has a blank expression on it. If her mouth was a bit rounder she would indeed be the very epitome of a sex-doll.

At least she survived yesterday though, there is something puzzlingly hot about her...
    Forum Member
    Granted I came in half way through the series but it's like Kaila feels it's completely OK for her to slag off people, but as soon as she catches wind of anyone else doing it she's all outraged.

I dare say Julie is just as bad as Kaila but at least she seems to have the guts to stand up to her - hence the great/car crash TV in keeping them both in and sniping at each other.

The Hong Kong/Chinese chef is a muppet. The waistcoaty one is a bit weird too and the other one is at least a little normal and tries to be a little constructive as far as I've seen!

But they all seemed to hate Dale... it was nice to see them obviously giving him some praise earlier on when he left!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    But they all seemed to hate Dale... it was nice to see them obviously giving him some praise earlier on when he left!

I think the dislike of Dale came from that first team challenge where he shamelessly (and quite rightly, in my opinion) decided to save himself rather than any of his other team mates from the elimination challenge after they lost.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it was shown just once a week in Canada which is why we get the challenge and the elimination all in one episode. I much prefer this format than the very long drawn out Australian format which seems to take forever to eliminate one contestant.

I also really like how the "massive advantage in the elimination" are actually pretty big advantages e.g. you are safe and you get to sabotage your strongest competitors. Unlike in the Australian one where they say "huge advantage" and it turns out to be something very very small like they get to pick between chicken or hen as the main meat in the meal.....

I do like how competitive the Canadians are. I think this version is quick becoming my favourite version and I hope there is a second series.
    Forum Member
    Shadout wrote: »
    I think the dislike of Dale came from that first team challenge where he shamelessly (and quite rightly, in my opinion) decided to save himself rather than any of his other team mates from the elimination challenge after they lost.

Ahh ok - yeah because in the montage the chefs were all "you're WONDERFUL" and the first one I watched he screwed up a steak given to him by Eric and the Chinese chef-dude all but threw stuff at him!!!!

You don't see THAT from Torode & Wallace!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stupid question but do they get the recipe for these Pressure Tests? They certainly don't appear to make any reference to giving them a recipe.
    Forum Member
    Oh for Christsake Kaila's going to gosh-darn-win the thing isn't she!?... oh kill me now!

Oh and is she pals with Julie now???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for Christsake Kaila's going to gosh-darn-win the thing isn't she!?... oh kill me now!

Oh and is she pals with Julie now???

I hope so she is my fave.

Personally I think it will be Tamara.

I am amazed that julie and pino are still in when they are pretty useless!
    Forum Member
    gilesb wrote: »
    I hope so she is my fave.

Personally I think it will be Tamara.

I am amazed that julie and pino are still in when they are pretty useless!

Mind you - I can't work out if Kaila is talented (she has got through all these pressure tests after all) but she seems to cock them up royally, maybe by being too ambitious and yet scrapes through.
    I wish I'd watched from the start - I only saw her in the episode where she and Julie were at loggerheads.. so that's the only impression I have of her! (And Julie for that matter!)

Although - blatently disregarding a judge's advice is.... an interesting strategy!
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I'm impressed that they've somehow managed to add in the bitchiness and backstabbing of a Big Brother or Apprentice series to the normal Masterchef-type setup.

It's somehow compulsive viewing even if its not good viewing, if that makes any sense.

It makes absolute sense! I'm loving this series, much more than MC New Zealand and South Africa. I actually think that the standard of the cooking is much better than in those two versions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you - I can't work out if Kaila is talented (she has got through all these pressure tests after all) but she seems to cock them up royally, maybe by being too ambitious and yet scrapes through.
    I wish I'd watched from the start - I only saw her in the episode where she and Julie were at loggerheads.. so that's the only impression I have of her! (And Julie for that matter!)

Although - blatently disregarding a judge's advice is.... an interesting strategy!

It is also interesting that she argued back with a judge and they didn't overly make a point about it. Yet when Dale argued back it was notably made a point if as a factor in his elimination.

I am not sure what they see in Julie :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 points:

If a judge/chef says that nothing will leave his kitchen if it's not perfect, and then two plates come back because the scallops are cold, has the judge failed in his promise?

Secondly, Eric is a very lucky boy. Doing 8 types of donut when he needed to do 3 was just idiotic. Made doubly funny by the folk on the gallery laughing before the start about how Eric wasn't just going to stick to the task.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it make sense if I said that the judge with the beard talks almost like a robot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it make sense if I said that the judge with the beard talks almost like a robot.

He does have quite a computerised tone when doing the set pieces to all the contestants.

I think they have the correct top five. Julie and Pino were always on borrowed time and were very lucky to make it this far.

I think Tamara looks like the winner to me.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member

I think it's a case of memorising from scripted dialogue, all of them but worst are the bearded guy and weird looking Chinese cook. The only one who seems a little more natural and not over-acting ( pointing at you blu haired man!!>:() is obviously the 3rd chef.

He's composed, his critiques always spot on, and his delivery is pleasant & natural.

What the hell is wrong with that Eric guy...he needs to calm down in more ways than one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think the final four were the correct final four but I am less happy with the final two. I feel Eric gets a lot of additional support from the judges, especially the fellow Chinese judge.

Eric will probably win because of it.

Also his constant "I gave up my job to do this!", eff off you're 21! Hardly that big a deal when most 21 year olds don't even have career jobs by that point and he can barley have left uni anyway! Annoyance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Well I think the final four were the correct final four but I am less happy with the final two. I feel Eric gets a lot of additional support from the judges, especially the fellow Chinese judge.

Eric will probably win because of it.

Also his constant "I gave up my job to do this!", eff off you're 21! Hardly that big a deal when most 21 year olds don't even have career jobs by that point and he can barley have left uni anyway! Annoyance.

Eric is way too scatty and inconsistent I think to deserve to be in the final. I think the final should have been Marida versus Tamara. But buh-bye to Kaila-of-the-weird-face.

I did laugh at the first part of the show with the mystery box challenge and the guest judge - all four judges are like "yeah, I'd go simple, keep it really simple yeah" and then when interrogating the entries it was all "it's a bit too simplistic", particularly in regards to Tamara and Eric's dishes. I'm thinking "make up your minds for god's sake..."
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaila's face when eric got through to the final was an absolute picture of horror!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marida's sisters are Narida and Sherida. That must get confusing, surely!?
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marida is a really Bonny looking lass, decent Cook as well