Can someone explain GamerGate to me?

12346»

Comments

• DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    The thing started about a review of her game that may or may not have existed. Her treatment is appalling. If you check my posts on this subject I condemn both sides. Both sides have made threats and said stupid things. I condemn everyone involved, you are correct they are cretins. On both sides.

ETA: her game is relevant to the topic.

It doesn't exist. That is the whole point. Depression Quest is totally irrelevant. The entire thing about her private life and the review was made up by her ex-boyfriend who went crying to 4chan. The entire campaign abusive campaign has gone so far and crossed so many lines that Zoe Quinn's faults and personal indiscretions just do not matter at this point.

There really isn't another side to condemn - one side is abusing and threatening women while the other side are standing up and telling them to stop. Individuals maybe, but not a movement like GamerGate, and certainly not the faceless made-up bogeyman that its supporters decry as "anti-GamerGate".

The entire movement is just total bunk, started on fabricated conspiracies and nonsense. It has no leaders, its supporters have a shaky understanding of ethics at best, and ultimately it has no coherent, tangible aims.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    It doesn't exist. That is the whole point. It is totally irrelevant. It was made up by her ex-boyfriend who went crying to 4chan and made up lies about her personal life. Whatever Zoe Quinn's faults and personal indiscretions are just do not matter at this point.

There really isn't another side to condemn - one side is abusing and threatening women while the other side are standing up and telling them to stop. The entire movement is just total bunk, started on fabricated conspiracies and nonsense. It has no leaders, its supporters have a shaky understanding of ethics at best, and ultimately it has no coherent, tangible aims.

Both sides have made stupid comments. Both sides have made threats. Or is it only objectionable when the threatened are women? The fact it is leaderless is irrelevant, it would just show it's lone idiots with a hashtag.
    Both sides have an agenda, any original point to it has been lost. It's just people in entrenched positions yelling at each other. Anyway, I'm done with this topic.
    It's a pointless argument.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great article here that gets to the heart of why gamergate as a 'movement' is a nonsense.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Great article here that gets to the heart of why gamergate as a 'movement' is a nonsense.

Actually, it's about ethics in games journalism ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

Read through the article, was rewarded with the first comment

''Is anyone surprised that unethical journalists are so dead set against a movements that support ethics in journalism? Gamergate is a threat to their livelihood, they are defending themselves. ''
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the writer of that article been "unethical"? If so, how?

Which other journalists have been "unethical"? If so, how?

How does Gamergate actually support "ethics in journalism"? I mean beyond just saying "Actually, Gamergate is about ethics in games journalism" every time the "movement" is criticised when one of its members (who of course is never a "True Gamergater") dishes out abuse or threats?
  • ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason. It really seems that you're just trying to get a reaction from me. You're obviously not willing to have a civil discussion, so I'm not going to respond to you again.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason. It really seems that you're just trying to get a reaction from me. You're obviously not willing to have a civil discussion, so I'm not going to respond to you again.

Sorry but if you think a bit of criticism on a message board is designed solely to "get a reaction" then that's your problem in how you respond to criticism. Kind of a funny microcosm of the average GamerGate supporter given how hostile they are to the most basic feminist cultural criticism from the likes of Anita Sarkeesian.