Options

Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the home tests in New Zealand shown on FTA tele?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just a minor cosmetic point but the NZ cricket graphics don't half look old fashioned compared to those used in other countries - and having the bar with the batsmen's scores pop up after every ball just seems unnecessary.

Is NZ the only remaining country that still uses a scorebox in the corner rather than the strap across the bottom of the screen?
  • Options
    sudsy23sudsy23 Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    This is just a minor cosmetic point but the NZ cricket graphics don't half look old fashioned compared to those used in other countries - and having the bar with the batsmen's scores pop up after every ball just seems unnecessary.

Is NZ the only remaining country that still uses a scorebox in the corner rather than the strap across the bottom of the screen?

I was thinking the same thing. I can't think of another country that uses the scorebox at the top of the screen. Most countries use the two-row strap at the bottom although I've noticed India only have one row of info. A bit of a shame Sky aren't using their own on-screen graphics as I remember them doing last time England toured Australia and South Africa for example. Admittedly this series isn't on that level so I guess that's why they haven't bothered
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love the scorebar on the top left, Al la Channel 4 cricket looking... Far better.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love the scorebar on the top left, Al la Channel 4 cricket looking... Far better.

I don't really mind which scorebox/bar is used, but it's nice to see a bit of variety.

I'm not a fan of them having the batsman's scores on a bar at the bottom as well though, for me it clutters up the screen too much
  • Options
    Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it's a comparitive nightmare for the TV companies, but hats off to NZC for selecting proper cricket grounds with intimate atmospheres instead of subjecting the players to playing in empty cavernous stadia. University Oval looks a picture and the Basin Reserve is the prettiest cricket ground in the world, bar none. Can't wait for that one. Makes for some great shots between the action.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's a comparitive nightmare for the TV companies, but hats off to NZC for selecting proper cricket grounds with intimate atmospheres instead of subjecting the players to playing in empty cavernous stadia. University Oval looks a picture and the Basin Reserve is the prettiest cricket ground in the world, bar none. Can't wait for that one. Makes for some great shots between the action.

Until the 3rd Test at Eden Park which is a massive stadium that will barely be 15% full.
  • Options
    Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    LOSG wrote: »
    Until the 3rd Test at Eden Park which is a massive stadium that will barely be 15% full.
    So it is. For some reason I had it in my head they were playing a game in Napier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like no Bruce Cricthley again at what would be deemed a major golf event for Sky. Wonder if he has been axed, rested or just unwell?
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Can't Stand bumble commentary anymore.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland U20 V Wales U20 (RBS 6 Nations)

S4C - Gareth Roberts hosting from Tulloch Caledonian Stadium with Dafydd Jones as analyst. Commentary from Dr. Gwyn Jones and Gareth Davies, with Derwyn Jones doing tactical play discussion. Cenydd Davies was interviewer.

English Red Button commentary came from Ross Harries and Ian Gough.
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland v Wales
    Presenter: John Inverdale
    With: Martyn Williams & Andy Nicol
    Commentators: Andrew Cotter, Jonathan Davies & Chris Paterson
    Pitchside: Jill Douglas

Ireland v France
    Presenter: Gabby Logan
    With: Keith Wood, & Jeremy Guscott
    Commentators: Eddie Butler, Brian Moore & Phillip Matthews
    Pitchside: Jason Mohammad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenter: Tom McGurk
    With: Brent Pope, George Hook & Shane Horgan

Commentators:
    Scotland v Wales - Hugh Cahill & Frankie Sheahan
    Ireland v France - Ryle Nugent & Ralph Keyes

Pitchside at Aviva Stadium: Clare McNamara & Bernard Jackman
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotland U20 V Wales U20 (RBS 6 Nations)

S4C - Gareth Roberts hosting from Tulloch Caledonian Stadium with Dafydd Jones as analyst. Commentary from Dr. Gwyn Jones and Gareth Davies, with Derwyn Jones doing tactical play discussion. Cenydd Davies was interviewer.

English Red Button commentary came from Ross Harries and Ian Gough.

is red button comm only on sky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is red button comm only on sky?

On all possible platforms:- Freeview, Freesat, Sky Digital and Virgin Media. Watching it online through their 'Clic' service will mean you could only watch it in Welsh.

Thinking of watching the Wales U20 V England U20 next friday then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sporter92 wrote: »
    Scotland v Wales
    Presenter: John Inverdale with Martyn Williams & Andy Nicol
    Commentators: Andrew Cotter, Jonathan Davies & Chris Paterson
    Pitchside: Jill Douglas

S4C - Gareth Roberts hosting pitchside from a windy Murrayfield (his words) with Dafydd Jones, Gareth Edwards, Gareth Edwards' hair and Gareth Davies. Commentary was from Huw Llewellyn Davies and Dr. Gwyn Jones, with Brynmor Williams on tactical analysis. Dot Davies was player/fan interviewer.

The best moment of S4Cs coverage came from the fans after the game, as there was a cameraman positioned somewhere outside, where after the game finished you'd see the crowd storming towards you and not seeing the camera there until the last possible moment!
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking mis-identification of he injured Ireland player by the BBC. For he last 10 minutes they are saying Ian Madigan was stretched off when it was. Actually it was Eoin Reddin. Still no correction by the BBC of he mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On all possible platforms:- Freeview, Freesat, Sky Digital and Virgin Media. Watching it online through their 'Clic' service will mean you could only watch it in Welsh.

Thinking of watching the Wales U20 V England U20 next friday then?

well my red button on tivo wasnt working for it, yesterday or for the football today
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    According to Sky Sports Twitter,

Ian Ward, Alec Stewart and Paul Collingwood will be in the studio with Botham, Lloyd, Atherton, Knight and Willis on commentary plus ''various New Zealand commentators"
    Sky use Gower for the Sky Sports promo for New Zealand tour
    but he's not presenting or commentating and we have to make do with Nick Shyte.http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/cricket/8480010/a-good-night-out
    Sky really do make some awful choices like Nick Halling main boxing commentator over the vastly superior Adam Smith.
    And the biggest clanger of the lot picking Rob Hawthorne instead of Martin Tyler for Champions League Final in 2005
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Saturday 16 March on RTE Two

Italy v Ireland- Tom McGurk is joined by Brent Pope, Conor O'Shea and George Hook to present. Ryle Nugent and Donal Lenihan commentate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Harmission in the studio taking the place of Alec Stewart
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Harmission in the studio taking the place of Alec Stewart

that was for day 4 and day 5
  • Options
    jwire1977jwire1977 Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Assuming these haven't been done:

Eurosport's coverage of Paris-Nice: all stages by David Harmon and Sean Kelly.

Eurosport's coverage of Tirreno-Adriatico:

Stages 1&2: Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt
    Stage 3: Anthony McCrossan and Brian Smith
    Stage 4: Anthony McCrossan and Magnus Backstedt

I believe Sky are also showing Tirreno and while I haven't heard it, I assume it's the international broadcast with Carlton Kirby and Dan Lloyd, the former was plugging it yesterday on Twitter.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    jwire1977 wrote: »
    Assuming these haven't been done:

Eurosport's coverage of Paris-Nice: all stages by David Harmon and Sean Kelly.

Eurosport's coverage of Tirreno-Adriatico:

Stages 1&2: Rob Hatch and Magnus Backstedt
    Stage 3: Anthony McCrossan and Brian Smith
    Stage 4: Anthony McCrossan and Magnus Backstedt

I believe Sky are also showing Tirreno and while I haven't heard it, I assume it's the international broadcast with Carlton Kirby and Dan Lloyd, the former was plugging it yesterday on Twitter.

Indeed they are. In terms of random stuff to pop up on Sky over the years, delayed coverage of the Tirreno-Adriatico, complete with Carlton on commentary has to be up there!

Steve Schlanger and Paul Sherwen are doing Paris-Nice for NBC Sports Network in the States.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England v Italy - BBC One & BBC One HD
    Presenter: John Inverdale
    With: Jonathan Davies, Jeremy Guscott & Sir Clive Woodward
    Commentators: Eddie Butler & Lawrence Dallaglio
    Analyst: Andy Nicol
    Pitchside: Sonja McLaughan

England v Italy - RTE Two & RTE Two HD
    Presenter: Tom McGurk