Sarah Storey

The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
Forum Member
Good article in the Times about 11 times gold medalist Sarah Storey. Really worth the read.

For Rio there will be a Para- triathlon and given her prowess in both cycling and swimming Sarah would be a natural.

Sadly she won't consider it as she is an obsessive about hygiene and will not do an open water swim.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I heard that she was being considered for the Olympic track cycling team in 2016?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    savsg wrote: »
    I heard that she was being considered for the Olympic track cycling team in 2016?

She was considered for it this year, but just missed oyt
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member
    Understand she wasn't that far off this time and well if we can have double amputees in the Olympics then why not her?
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Good article in the Times about 11 times gold medalist Sarah Storey. Really worth the read.

For Rio there will be a Para- triathlon and given her prowess in both cycling and swimming Sarah would be a natural.

Sadly she won't consider it as she is an obsessive about hygiene and will not do an open water swim.
    I've swum in open water - first time is not pleasant - but one gets used to it. I'm still here and I'm sure Sarah would survive.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Understand she wasn't that far off this time and well if we can have double amputees in the Olympics then why not her?

I think she was 5th in the rankings, I read, so yeah really very close to making it....
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I heard on teh Radio before any Olympics she is looking at doing the Commonwealth Games. A lot of the GB team are young, could we see them in the various Commonwealth squads over different sports?
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    She was considered for it this year, but just missed oyt

She should have a better chance for 2016 as the women's pursuit is being run with four riders rather than three.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Net wrote: »

It must be really hard to classify participants in a Para- triathlon as everyone's disability will affect them diffidently in each event. It would have to be done on a points system rather than a straight race.
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After how she won the road race (well race track race, seeing as it was at Brands Hatch :p) so convincingly the other day, even catching and beating many of the men's race participants that started a few minutes ahead, I'm wondering if she will be in the women's road cycling world championships later this month?

She only just missed out on the Olympic track cycling team so on her current form it would be great to see her competing with the able bodied brits such as Lizzie Armitstead.

Looks to me she is good enough. :cool:
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    After how she won the road race (well race track race, seeing as it was at Brands Hatch :p) so convincingly the other day, even catching and beating many of the men's race participants that started a few minutes ahead, I'm wondering if she will be in the women's road cycling world championships later this month?

She only just missed out on the Olympic track cycling team so on her current form it would be great to see her competing with the able bodied brits such as Lizzie Armitstead.

She's not on the short-list.

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/gbcyclingteam/article/gbr20120903-gb-cyclingteam-news-British-Cycling-announces-team-for--UCI-Road-World-Championships-0
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only fair to point out that those male racers were in the C1-C3 categories, and thus had significantly greater levels of impairment than Sarah did (C5).
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Only fair to point out that those male racers were in the C1-C3 categories, and thus had significantly greater levels of impairment than Sarah did (C5).

Ah, they didn't mention that when reporting it in the news segment I saw. I guess it makes for a more dramatic news story by making out she beat men on equal footing that were also given a head start.