215 in 2015

Comments

• Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    14) William Nicolson - Motherland
    A very good read. WW2 romance but much more - developing characters and marriages and including a bit of the Indian independence issue. I realise I am not describing it very well but it is worth reading!

I love his books. The follow up is very good too, it's called Reckless and covers the Profumo Affair amongst other things.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I love his books. The follow up is very good too, it's called Reckless and covers the Profumo Affair amongst other things.

Thanks Sue - didn't realise there was a follow up. Its still quite expensive on Amazon but I've added it to my wish list
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15) Cecelia Ahern - How to Fall in Love
    Chick Lit. I haven't read any of her books in years. This was OK but not much more than that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16) Because She Loves Me - Mark Edwards
    One of those psychological stories - man starts believing his girlfriend is obsessive and stalking him and killing people etc. A 6 out of 10 read
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    2) Great Britains Great War - Jeremy Paxman 8/10

A history of WW1 which focuses more on the human stories rather than the political minutiae of its causes.

Very good, Paxman is carving a bit of a niche with his 'history lite' books. I read Empire last year and that's also a fine read.

* edit *

Oxfordgirl, how do you find the time?

I'm almost embarrassed posting my second of the year when you're almost at 20! 😁
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Nice idea to give more detail when posting. Happy reading to everyone by the way.

1) The Letter of Marque by Patrick O'Brian

A good example of one of the Aubrey/Maturin range of books. I would pretty much recommend any of the range from the twenty or so novels, this is the twelfth of the series. It has all the fantastic humour, drama and excellent historical realisation and detail. I much prefer the long haul missions and voyages as it literally feels like more of a journey, such as the affect of the ships company on months long voyages. This one is one based in and around France so is a less of a good story, nevertheless there is a decent if short battle or two. Overall is a good satisfying read even though there are better in the Aubrey series.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Nice idea to give more detail when posting. Happy reading to everyone by the way.

1) The Letter of Marque by Patrick O'Brian

A good example of one of the Aubrey/Maturin range of books. I would pretty much recommend any of the range from the twenty or so novels, this is the twelfth of the series. It has all the fantastic humour, drama and excellent historical realisation and detail. I much prefer the long haul missions and voyages as it literally feels like more of a journey, such as the affect of the ships company on months long voyages. This one is one based in and around France so is a less of a good story, nevertheless there is a decent if short battle or two. Overall is a good satisfying read even though there are better in the Aubrey series.

I've tried the first Aubrey/Maturin book - the writing was excellent, very evocative of the time and place; the characters were well drawn and appealing, but I had no clue at all what was going on. I was in a fog the whole time they went anywhere near a ship. I had to sadly give up in the end as it was like reading a foreign language. :D
  • DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    The Peter Guralnick book "Last Train to Memphis - The Rise of Elvis Presley" is a superlative book. If you never read any other Elvis biography, choose this one. The second instalment, "Careless Love - The Unmaking of Elvis Presley" is just as good too.

I will definitely buy the second book, Yorkie47. First one was really well written and I'm glad I read it.

1. The Book Thief
    2. The Strange Library - Haruki Murakami
    3. Last Train to Memphis - Peter Guralnick
    4. The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    The story of a governess who takes a job teaching two young children. This is a quite a subtle and ambiguous gothic ghost story. Style of writing wasn't always the easiest to read.
    Forum Member
    DoohDah wrote: »
    4. The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
    The story of a governess who takes a job teaching two young children. This is a quite a subtle and ambiguous gothic ghost story. Style of writing wasn't always the easiest to read.

Read that a good few years ago, scared the proverbial about of me!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. The Oversight by Charlie Fletcher, read by Simon Prebble.
    I've posted about this on the "What are you reading" thread. The first book of a fantasy trilogy set in Victorian London. A very Dickensian feel, it moves along at a good pace, has an interesting storyline and a satisfying ending. Much better than The Name of the Wind in my opinion.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2) The Villa in Italy by Elizabeth Edmondson

I enjoyed this book - not sure why it took me so long to read it! Some good twists at the end, although I thought the last few chapters seemed a little rushed.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2. 1Q84 book 2 by Haruki Marakami

7/10, 2nd book of the trilogy. Young girl age 10 who is a member of a commune creates a 'passageway' for supernatural beings known as the Little People to access this world. 7 years later and a book based on how this happened is published, initially dictated by this girl, the story is rewritten by an aspiring author. This brings them to the attention of the little people and the commune, which is now a religious cult. Also involved is a fitness instructor and part time assassin of abusive husbands, who the aspiring writer was at school with. The 1Q84 relates to an alternative version of 1984, which they seem to have been transported into. Sounds a little like a children's book, but most certainly isn't!

I think that just about sums things up so far without giving too much away! Still not sure I fully understand it though!

3. 1Q84 book 3. 6/10

Seemed to be lots of pages with nothing happening or just repeating a routine that had been described before. slight anti climax of an ending too.

Series overall 6/10.
    Not enough action to really warrant three books. Should have been two at most. Plus slightly unsatisfactory ending after reading approx 1200 pages
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    2) Great Britains Great War - Jeremy Paxman 8/10

A history of WW1 which focuses more on the human stories rather than the political minutiae of its causes.

Very good, Paxman is carving a bit of a niche with his 'history lite' books. I read Empire last year and that's also a fine read.

* edit *

Oxfordgirl, how do you find the time?

I'm almost embarrassed posting my second of the year when you're almost at 20! 😁

Biggest bit of free time for me is my commute - two plus hours a day and it's either read or sleep
    I am also an erratic sleeper so there is always some odd time here and there - e.g. I have been reading since 4.30 am this morning
    Also I don't have kids and my domestic arrangements mean that I am not doing much housework/ shopping/ cooking
    It all adds up!
    But everyone's reading is different and it's what we get out of it and not how much we read that matters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17) Swimming Home - Ruth Mancini
    A follow up to a book I read towards the end of last year. Basically mum tries to protect teenage daughter from controlling father and ends up on trial for attempted murder. Annoying book in parts but got better towards the end

18) Cold Comfort -Quentin Bates
    Detective story set in Iceland. I spent a few days there last summer and really enjoyed this book. Am going to read more by this author.

19) Miss Polly had a Dolly - Willow Rose
    Described as a horror mystery- story of kidnapped children, prostitution rings and creepy dolls. Didn't enjoy this.
    Forum Member
    Biggest bit of free time for me is my commute - two plus hours a day and it's either read or sleep
    I am also an erratic sleeper so there is always some odd time here and there - e.g. I have been reading since 4.30 am this morning
    Also I don't have kids and my domestic arrangements mean that I am not doing much housework/ shopping/ cookingh
    It all adds up!
    But everyone's reading is different and it's what we get out of it and not how much we read that matters

Oh absolutely, I just wish I could get through as many as you. My 'to read' pile would disappear in no time!

I've only got a 30 minute commute per day and half of that is with my 2 and a half year old so cant read then.

Only really get a chance to read in bed, last night I got through about 10 pages before realising I had no idea of what I had read in them.

I was just so tired it wasn't going in to my head, the bookmark went back to where I had started!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh absolutely, I just wish I could get through as many as you. My 'to read' pile would disappear in no time!

I've only got a 30 minute commute per day and half of that is with my 2 and a half year old so cant read then.

Only really get a chance to read in bed, last night I got through about 10 pages before realising I had no idea of what I had read in them.

I was just so tired it wasn't going in to my head, the bookmark went back to where I had started!

I often fall asleep in bed reading:(
    Also I buy far far too many books - I have a book mountain at home and my kindle is bulging! So I have to keep reading !!
    Forum Member
    I often fall asleep in bed reading:(
    Also I buy far far too many books - I have a book mountain at home and my kindle is bulging! So I have to keep reading !!

I've got about 25 in my pile to read and quite a few on my reader too.

Promised myself I would absolutely not buy any more books until most had been read....broke that promise within a couple of days. Oops.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    6) A Breath of Snow and Ashes
    7) An Echo in the Bone

Continuing the Outlander saga. I've only one more to read, now, in the main series, on order from the library. How people waited 4 years between books I'll never know. I cannot wait for the next one.

Meanwhile I'm about to start on A Trail of Fire - short stories from the Outlander world. I do tend to get obsessive about book series.

Re having time to read - now I'm retired and live alone, it's what I mostly do. It's absolute bliss after years of working, bringing up children etc, having no time to read and being too tired if you have got time.

Now I can think "I'll stay in this afternoon and read" if I like. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got about 25 in my pile to read and quite a few on my reader too.

Promised myself I would absolutely not buy any more books until most had been read....broke that promise within a couple of days. Oops.

I think I have about 500 to read :o:o:o
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. X-Factor 1985-1986 - Bob Layton, Jackson Guice, Louise Jones etc. 5/10
    267 pages [Graphic Novel] Avengers #262 (Roger Stern), Fantastic Four #286 (John Byrne), X-Factor #1-9 & An #1. Pretty weak idea and weak book despite mass hyping at the time for being the third X-book. Huge character debuts of Cameron Hodge, Apocalypse, Artie, various Morlocks, Frenzy, Tower and Trish Trilby. Ultimatley a book created to bring back the original X-Men... and Jean Grey!
    2. Uncanny X-Men 1986 - Chris Claremont, John Romita Jnr etc. 9/10
    302 pages <Graphic Novel> Uncanny X-Men #201-213 and Annual #'10. More stupendous writing and art… more truly classic X-Men, Secret Wars II, big Rachel story lines, massive X-men debuts for Longshot and Psylocke…Nimrod, Hellfire club and the superb Mutant Massacre, with the chilling debut of the Marauders.
    3. X-Factor 1988-1989 - Louise & Walt Simonson 6/10
    649 Pages [Graphic Novel] X-Factor #24-42, Annual #3. X-Terminators #1-4. Debuts for Infectia, Nanny, Orphan Maker, N'Astirh, Whizz Kid, Crotus, Alchemy etc. A strong period completly dominated by the rise of Apocalypse, the coming of Death, and the final Inferno driven resolution of the Madelyne Pryor mystery and Scott & Jean's love life! One of Louise Simonson's strongest X-book runs.
    [Marvel Entertainment]

4. A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin 8/10
    Harper Voyager (HarperCollins), 835 pages
    <Fantasy> Re-read... Song of Ice and Fire book one and season one of the great US TV show, to which this book is a fantastic expansion of. Not much of a lover of fantasy literature outside of graphic novels, I really enjoyed this truly huge saga of the Game of Thrones that has continued between numerous Houses for hundreds of years in this alternate reality world of sword, court politics and shield. Have to re-read the rest of the series... if I can get the time!

5. White Horse Of Zennor and Other Stories - Michael Morpurgo 6/10
    Egmont UK Ltd, 150 pages
    <Children's Fiction> Five short stories set mostly in or around the mythical Cornish location, Zennor… with 'The Giant's Necklace' and 'Mad Miss Marney' being the best of them.

6. A Man In Full - Tom Wolfe 9/10
    Vintage Books (Random House), 820 pages
    <Literary> More Wolfe genius as he turns his eye on the Afro American and 'Southern WASP' dominate Atlanta… with fantastic characters such as black, Roger 'Too-White'; quasi crooked broker Peepgas; ne'er do well for trying Conrad; Southern wheeler dealer against the ropes Charlie Croker, a smart and devious black Mayor; Croker's ex-wife now invisible in polite society; and his current young and 'hot' wife and many more... as their lives are all impacted on when the daughter of a high profile and very wealthy man claims she was raped by the black up and coming star sportsman of Atlanta. Stupendously well-written, truly a tour-de-force. Exceptional!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I have about 500 to read :o:o:o

That should take you about a week, then. :D
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    .....the mythical Cornish location, Zennor…

Zennor b'aint mythical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20) A Long Walk Home - Judith Tebbutt
    True story written by Judith Tebbutt who was taken prisoner by Somali pirates. An incredibly brave woman and I don't feel I want to criticise the sale of writing after all she went through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20) A Long Walk Home - Judith Tebbutt
    True story written by Judith Tebbutt who was taken prisoner by Somali pirates. An incredibly brave woman and I don't feel I want to criticise the sale of writing after all she went through.

Sorry meant style of writing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21) The Strange Year of Vanessa M - Filipa Fonseca Silva
    Translated from Portuguese. Story of a married mother who decides there is more to life than what she has and makes several life-changing decisions. A 6 out of 10
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. Elephants Can Remember - Agatha Christie
    2. Lonely Planet India
    3. Is Everyone Hanging Out With Me? (And Other Concerns)
    4. Southeast Asia on a Shoestring
    5. One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories - BJ Novak
    6. They Came to Baghdad - Agatha Christie
    7. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson
    8. Poirot's Early Cases - Agatha Christie
    9. The Hundred-Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared - Jonas Jonasson
    10. Skipping Christmas - John Grisham